PN-G's Boudoin wins third-straight district title

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PN-G's Boudoin wins third-straight district title
By David Henry
April 8, 2010
Posted: April 8, 2010, 9:31 PM CDT

Port Neches-Groves senior Trent Boudoin wasn't ready to pass along the torch just yet.

The back-to-back champion made it a three-peat, coming from four strokes down to edge out his freshman teammate Seve Long on Day 2 of the District 20-4A golf tournament on Thursday in Mont Belvieu.

"It's exciting," Boudoin said. "I definitely didn't expect it."

Boudoin and Long entered the final hole tied. Long's first shot landed in the water, and the penalty proved to be the difference in Boudoin's one-stroke victory.

"I had a couple of bad holes and it cost me," said Long, who shot a 68 on the first day and a 79 the second day.

Boudoin birdied the 16th hole to cut the four-stroke deficit to just one. Boudoin had a solid approach shot followed by a perfect putt on the green. Putting is something Boudoin has been working on since finishing seventh at state last year.

"I've spent more time on my putting than anything else over the last year and it made a difference," Boudoin said.

Boudoin helped convince Long to come to PN-G. Long, whose father Rob is the girls' golf coach in Nederland, attended school in Nederland through the eighth grade, but lives in Groves.

"It's always really fun playing against him," Boudoin said.

Aside from Boudoin's victory, it was a day dominated by freshmen. PN-G freshman Lonnie LaBove made bogey to win the tiebreaker over Little Cypress-Mauriceville's Casey Toohey for third place.

Nederland freshman Felicia Sauceda took first place for girls.

Sauceda's team will join her at the regional tournament, as the Nederland girls finished second to LC-M, who won the meet for the second year in a row and the sixth time in the last seven years. The top two teams advance to regionals along with the top two individuals who aren't on a qualifying team. Nederland trailed the PN-G girls by eight strokes for the second spot after the first day.

"I'm glad my team gets to go with me," Sauceda said.

PN-G is sending two boys teams to regionals, as the PN-G A team took first and the PN-G B-team edged out LC-M for second by two strokes. PN-G has sent two teams to region before, but head coach Eldridge Ravey said "it's been a while."

"I'm blown away," Ravey said. "In August I told our guys we had the chance to have something special. I knew if they worked hard they could do it. But the reality was, I just thought LC-M had too many good returners. I knew it would be a dogfight, but I didn't think we could actually do it. It's just awesome."

LC-M's Toohey and Chris Hodge are the two qualifiers for boys, while PN-G's Paige Blount and Livingston's Brooke Haynes are the region qualifiers girls.

The region tournament starts with girls on April 19 at Raven Nest in Huntsville.

DISTRICT 20-4A GOLF TOURNAMENT

Day 1 Brentwood Country Club

Day 2 Eagle Point

GIRLS:

1. LC-M 427 412 839

2. Nederland 448 412 860

3. PN-G 440 437 877

Individual:

1. Felicia Sauceda Ned 92 86 178

2. Brooke Brasseaux LC-M 95 86 181

3. Paige Blount PN-G 92 98 190 Regionals

4. Brooke Haynes LIV 99 103 202 Regionals

5. Kacie Hernandez NED 109 99 208

6. Katelyn Defrates LC-M 107 103 210

BOYS

Team:

1. PN-G A 314 312 626

2. PN-G B 318 341 659

3. LC-M 331 330 661

Individual:

1. Trent Boudoin PN-G 72 74 146

2. Seve Long PN-G 68 79 147

3. Lonnie LaBove PN-G 79 79 158

4. Casey Toohey LC-M 82 76 158

5. Drake Hernandez PN-G 77 83 160

6. Brandon Provost PN-G 75 86 161

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores