Area F Marching Competition

bandkid

Staff member
The Indian Band performs at the Area F Marching Competition (held at Galena Park's athletic complex) at 3:15 pm this Saturday. Please come out and support the band, twirlers, and Indianettes as they work their way up to the state marching competition (which will be on November 2nd at the Alamodome in San Antonio).

Admission is $3 per person.

NDN X

100+ Posts
heard the band looked GREAT today! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:Just waiting to hear what they made!! Anyone know anything yet?

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
All they can rdo is their best. The scoring in these contests can be a bit weird, particularly as you advance to Area and State level. This Area is tough to get through. I am trying to recall the last band to make it through to State, I think it was Fall 1997, but I also think that a band since then was named an alternate since then

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
I read somewhere else that none of the local 4A bands are advancing to State. Galena Park, Friendswood, Pearland Dawson are advancing. My understanding that Vidor took 4th place and was one slot away from going.

I personally think that it is a bummer that they went to the every other year format for Marching Contest, it would be nice to have a shot at a "State Championship" every year. I am sure it is a money issue.

bandkid

Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:
I read somewhere else that none of the local 4A bands are advancing to State. Galena Park, Friendswood, Pearland Dawson are advancing. My understanding that Vidor took 4th place and was one slot away from going.

I personally think that it is a bummer that they went to the every other year format for Marching Contest, it would be nice to have a shot at a "State Championship" every year. I am sure it is a money issue.

My understanding is that it's a logistical nightmare to allow every school to have a chance to advance every year. Personally, I think that's a bogus excuse.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I agree with bandkid! I don't get the every other year thing. When I was in band, State was still every year, in Austin, and it seemed to work fine to me. Of course, we had district contest at LCM and only two advanced to Area (Regionals back then) to compete with Houston area bands, then two from Area advanced to State. Like I said, it seemed to work fine, of course it was always us and LCM to advance to State, so maybe I'm biased. They started the "every other year" thing the year after I graduated and it seemed that PN-G and LCM's State Marching contest appearances dropped dramatically after than, but then again, I didn't keep up with it for several years, so I could be wrong. I personally think our band is more than good enough to go to State, so I don't know what the problem is, but keep your heads up because yall are #1 with us no matter what the judges say!!

bandkid

Staff member
NDNmom91 said:
I agree with bandkid! I don't get the every other year thing. When I was in band, State was still every year, in Austin, and it seemed to work fine to me. Of course, we had district contest at LCM and only two advanced to Area (Regionals back then) to compete with Houston area bands, then two from Area advanced to State. Like I said, it seemed to work fine, of course it was always us and LCM to advance to State, so maybe I'm biased. They started the "every other year" thing the year after I graduated and it seemed that PN-G and LCM's State Marching contest appearances dropped dramatically after than, but then again, I didn't keep up with it for several years, so I could be wrong. I personally think our band is more than good enough to go to State, so I don't know what the problem is, but keep your heads up because yall are #1 with us no matter what the judges say!!

Thanks. My outlook on the situation is that we're still in the top 13 4A bands of Area F's four regions.

We arrived early to watch several of the other bands (Willis, Crosby, Friendswood, Dawson, Lumberton, and Goose Creek Memorial) perform and I was amazed by the resources and equipment some of the other bands had. Dawson, for instance, had a Baby Grand Piano mounted on a mobile platform for a piano accompaniment and a solo. Friendswood had a number of soloists (vocal and instrumental) that performed from a small, soundbooth style cart on the sidelines with two large speakers that projected the solos. But, these are all well-funded band programs in school districts that don't have to contend with the funding problems ours does.

All things said and done, it really doesn't surprise me that none of the SETX bands made it. There's no way we can compete against bands with those resources. Personally, having seen those performances and video of ours, I think we had both Friendswood and Dawson beat when it came to marching and spacing, we matched Friendswood (although not Dawson) in sound, and I noticed a few phasing problems Dawson had (probably because they had something like 250 kids spread out all over the field) that we didn't have. They just had more elements to their show and I think that propelled them to the state level.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
This difference in resources was something that we faced in the mid-80s when they first had the District/Regional/State format AND competing at the 5A level. We ran up against Clear Lake and Aldine HS, where many of the students took private lessons (that was uncommon around here back then). I believe that those bands had resources to hire the instructors so that parents were not paying for the the lessons. Back then it wasn't a case of all the extra elements, they just basically had better musicians on the field.

I personally think that a lot of this has gotten out of hand and some guidelines should be established on what type of ensemble is permitted on the field and what (if any) electronics should be allowed to be incorporated into the show.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I agree totally! My Freshman year was the last year we were in 5A and I remember the upper classman talking about how we never make it to State because we cannot compete with Clear Lake and La Porte due to their ability to provide private lessons to their students. It sounds like those issues are happening again, but for different reasons! I think bands should be judged on muscianship and marching, not how much "stuff" you put in your show!! Hopefully this will change in the future!

Former NDNette

100+ Posts
I'd like to pass along a compliment I got on the band. Did the band eat at Pappadeaux's or maybe some other restaurant after competition last weekend? I have a friend who was whereever the band was and she said that was the best behaved group of young people she's had the pleasure to be around other than at Church. She said she couldn't get over how many there were and how quiet and well behaved so polite, etc, etc.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Former NDNette said:
I'd like to pass along a compliment I got on the band. Did the band eat at Pappadeaux's or maybe some other restaurant after competition last weekend? I have a friend who was whereever the band was and she said that was the best behaved group of young people she's had the pleasure to be around other than at Church. She said she couldn't get over how many there were and how quiet and well behaved so polite, etc, etc.

I saw some pictures on Facebook from one of the Band Mom's, yes they at a Paapadeaux's

PNG NDN Fan said:
Former NDNette said:

I saw some pictures on Facebook from one of the Band Mom's, yes they at a Paapadeaux's

Pappasitas is where they stopped to eat on way home. We sat closer to the front and you could not hear all those kids in back section of restuarant! We always get great compliments on our band kids when we are out as a group!! I'm sooo proud of each and every student in our Purple Pride Band!!

NDN79

500+ Posts
Great job guys and girls! Not only are you the best band in the area, but you are also the best behaved! That really says a lot for your parents and your school! We are very proud of you! Keep up the good work in the play-offs and have fun!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores