Can't hear the BAND

NDNalumni

Went to the PNG vs Nederland game on Friday and sat in General Admission and was very upset that I couldn't hear the band. It could be that the crowd was so big and the new stadium but it takes away from the experience of the game. :'(

I also wasn't pleased by the music that was played during the pre-game video. It was extremely loud and RAP...this is Port Neches-Groves, we don't need to be blasting rap before the games. At one point I even heard gun shots during the music. YUCK!!! :thumbsdown:

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The "Can't hear the band" issue has been discussed, and re-discussed, many times on this board. If you do a little digging, you can read all about it!

Bottom line is... you're too far away.

As far as the video, I liked it fine. Allot better than what we had. IMO

pngfan66

500+ Posts
YEP the intro for MCM was 100% better than the one we have all been having to endure for the first 4 games.

If it was (c)rap music im glad i didnt see or hear it. Low class stuff. Great game though! I have season tickets, but i guess im still going to have to get to livingston early.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
One of the pre-game videos was to rap, but the intro right before the players came out wasn't, which was good, I didn't like the rap at all, but I'm an old fogy.. :eek:ld:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Rap represents something that shouldn't be part of any activity on any school campus IMO. :thumbsdown:

NDNband69

500+ Posts
When we first got season tickets about 15 years ago, we were in secion F in the old stadium. It is just too far away to be able to hear the band. So every year we gradually were able to trade for seats closer to the band. Section G (General Admission) is even further away.

The Band has a lot of fun while playing by swinging there instruments from side to side during Cherokee. I wish they would try playing to the North. I would like to know if that would work.

phetonb

NDNband69 said:
When we first got season tickets about 15 years ago, we were in secion F in the old stadium. It is just too far away to be able to hear the band. So every year we gradually were able to trade for seats closer to the band. Section G (General Admission) is even further away.

The Band has a lot of fun while playing by swinging there instruments from side to side during Cherokee. I wish they would try playing to the North. I would like to know if that would work.

That would work, or just playing straight across the filed and have the sound bounce back. Swinging the horns makes the sound go out in two directions, and as 1/2 volume in each.

NDN X

100+ Posts
phetonb said:
NDNband69 said:

That would work, or just playing straight across the filed and have the sound bounce back. Swinging the horns makes the sound go out in two directions, and as 1/2 volume in each.

I still say they should put a mike near the drum majors and AT LEAST let the short version of Cherokee play over the loud speakers. I understand the long version would cut into the announcers talking, but it seems to me the loudest thing coming over the score board is the commercials. I sit between the 35 and 40 on the scoreboard side, and I can't hear anything but drums. I agree with turning slightly towards the scoreboard also. I think that would help some.

nissanindian

100+ Posts
now there was nothing wrong with the music during pre game there were no words and definitly no gun shots so rap is out what about hard rock or do the boys need classical music to get pumped up to come on guys stay with the times

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
nissanindian said:
now there was nothing wrong with the music during pre game there were no words and definitly no gun shots so rap is out what about hard rock or do the boys need classical music to get pumped up to come on guys stay with the times

I am with you Nissianindian, I didn't mind the music. I do mind the channel 7 stuff played over and over, now that is boring.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Do brass players still use different mouthpieces (Schilke) during marching season? I remember that some of us used to have a large bore mouthpiece for marching season and then switched to a "regular" mouthpiece for (yawn) concert season :). It was tons easier getting more volume and range out of the large bore mouthpiece (like a 14A4 size trumpet MP) versus a standard (7C) mouthpiece. Just wondering if things are different now.

bandkid

Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:
Do brass players still use different mouthpieces (Schilke) during marching season? I remember that some of us used to have a large bore mouthpiece for marching season and then switched to a "regular" mouthpiece for (yawn) concert season :). It was tons easier getting more volume and range out of the large bore mouthpiece (like a 14A4 size trumpet MP) versus a standard (7C) mouthpiece. Just wondering if things are different now.

To my knowledge, there's no standard mouthpiece. The tubas and french horns all use the same mouthpiece because those are school instruments and mouthpieces are provided, but to my knowledge, those particular types of mouthpieces are not required and it varies in the other brass sections. For instance, some of the trumpets use 7Cs, and there are a few that use something different like a Yamaha 16CD, but most just use a plain old Bach 5B because that's what the middle school band directors always required.

That is an idea, though.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores