Congrats Coach Faircloth

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
Fantastic coaching job this year - and that includes the entire coaching staff. We were only 2 TDs away from being undefeated in district. I truly believe that would have happened with a healthy O line and running back corps. Kudos to the best defense in several years also.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Fantastic coaching job this year - and that includes the entire coaching staff. We were only 2 TDs away from being undefeated in district. I truly believe that would have happened with a healthy O line and running back corps. Kudos to the best defense in several years also.

Yes. Crosby and Barbers Hill had nothing on us other than playing better that night. It was just their year.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I occasionally converse with Joe Lee Smith who is the authority on Texas high school football history and keeper of the best set of Texas high school football records on the planet.

Mr. Smith records coaching wins and losses based on the on-field results. Forfeits are not factored in whether it be a win because the other team didn't show up, or a win\loss because of some outside decision. The outcome is decided on the field. A win is a 'W'. A loss is an 'L'. That standard has been consistently applied to every team and coach in history. Therefore Coach Faircloth has a current record of 89-40 which places him as #2 in total wins at PN-G. That's the standard we're rolling with here. Congratulations to Coach Faircloth, all past and present assistant coaches, and the 2009-2019 teams!

Rank, Coach, W-L Record, Win Pct, Seasons
1. Burnett, 96-65, (.596), 15 seasons
2. Faircloth, 89-40, (.690), 11 seasons
3. Ethridge, 88-38-2, (.695), 11 seasons

At his current wining percentage, Faircloth will have a record of 121-55 after his 15th season. There have been no over achieving teams like the great 1974-77 streak, or the 1999 group. But Indian fans are still experiencing some of the greatest football in PN-G history.

bark

1,000+ Posts
great comparison between Burnet and Faircloth. I am fairly sure that for a majority of Matts years only top 2 in District went to the playoffs. For sure with Ethridge only the District Champ went. So Faircloth probably in 15 seasons will have an extra 2 - 3 games per year so an advantage of 30 to 45 more games played.

He is good and the young people like him. Bottom line no State titles or appearances even with Johnson for 3 years

Kinda like with the Cowboys -- Landry or Jimmy, who's the best??? an opinion to which everyone is allowed.

I will say for the first several seasons of Faircloth this page was hopping -- really died off as of late

hookem14

100+ Posts
great comparison between Burnet and Faircloth. I am fairly sure that for a majority of Matts years only top 2 in District went to the playoffs. For sure with Ethridge only the District Champ went. So Faircloth probably in 15 seasons will have an extra 2 - 3 games per year so an advantage of 30 to 45 more games played.

He is good and the young people like him. Bottom line no State titles or appearances even with Johnson for 3 years

Kinda like with the Cowboys -- Landry or Jimmy, who's the best??? an opinion to which everyone is allowed.

I will say for the first several seasons of Faircloth this page was hopping -- really died off as of late
An extra 2-3 games per year due too more teams attending the playoffs leading to more games played...Are you kidding? Even if that were true, that has absolutely ZERO to due with Win. Pct. In which Faircloth wins at a much higher rate than his predecessor. And as far as making it to the dance, in 1999 the road to the state title game was much easier than it is now. I am not downplaying the 99' team or their accomplishments whatsoever. They were great and played some very tough teams. But with the progression and development of all the Magnet Schools that have come into play over the last 10-12 years, for a team like PNG to make it to the dance is monumentally harder than before. Practically unachievable. Magnet Schools can essentially recruit an all-star team each and every year. It is significantly harder than in 99' or before.

bark

1,000+ Posts
An extra 2-3 games per year due too more teams attending the playoffs leading to more games played...Are you kidding? Even if that were true, that has absolutely ZERO to due with Win. Pct. In which Faircloth wins at a much higher rate than his predecessor. And as far as making it to the dance, in 1999 the road to the state title game was much easier than it is now. I am not downplaying the 99' team or their accomplishments whatsoever. They were great and played some very tough teams. But with the progression and development of all the Magnet Schools that have come into play over the last 10-12 years, for a team like PNG to make it to the dance is monumentally harder than before. Practically unachievable. Magnet Schools can essentially recruit an all-star team each and every year. It is significantly harder than in 99' or before.
to confirm - you don't think with 2 or 3 more teams going to the playoffs every year allows more games to be played?
What are some of the magnet schools in our District or area that you are speaking of? Nederland? Barbers Hill?

hookem14

100+ Posts
to confirm - you don't think with 2 or 3 more teams going to the playoffs every year allows more games to be played?
What are some of the magnet schools in our District or area that you are speaking of? Nederland? Barbers Hill?
1) To confirm, we are still getting into the playoffs and then winning multiple games once we get there. Which in turn helps with both total wins and winning percentage.
2) The magnet schools I speak of are not in our district. That's the point. We start running into those schools once we start hitting the second and third rounds of the playoffs.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Mid-nineties is when multiple teams started making the playoffs. MB's 1998 team was the first to qualify for that.

If we compare apples to apples, Ethridge had 4 outright district championships. Burnett and Faircloth had 2 each.

In his other 13 seasons Burnett had 4 teams make the playoffs as either co-champ (1), tri-champ (1) or other. Faircloth has had 8 playoff teams in his other 9 seasons that the Indians didn't claim a sole 1st place in district, 2 as co-champ and 1 as tri-champ. Ethridge only the 4 playoff teams during his time.

Burnett coached teams played +11 'extra' playoff games during those years. Faircloth coached teams played +14 games. And of course, Ethridge teams had no playoff games other than the 4 district championship seasons.

If we really get down to brass tacks, forgetting playoff games in non-outright district championship years, Faircloth leads the big 3 in regular season winning percentage during those seasons. (Set aside the extra playoff games and the DC years.)

Regular Season Games - Seasons When Not Outright District Champion
WLTTotalWin Pct.Seasons
Faircloth61280890.6859
Burnett695701260.54813
Ethridge36322700.5297

Point being even teams that didn’t win it all in the past 10 years were pretty darn good.

Speaking of advantages or disadvantages, that goes beyond opportunity to make the playoffs more often.

Burnett and Faircloth didn't have Ethridge’s staff of assistants that included: Greg Davis who became a very successful college OC including a national championship at UT. Bruce Bush who later won 271 games as a head coach (#22 in Texas HS history). And Tim Nunez who had a long, successful career coaching at The University of Texas, Marshall University, Southwest Texas State, Tulane University, and Texas A&M. And though he didn't achieve those levels of further coaching success, Butch Troy who coached those overachieving PN-G offensive lines in the 70s. Those coaches deserve much of the credit for those 70s teams.

Ethridge didn't have the luxury of larger players that are so common these days. Or a Dustin Long or Roschon Johnson along with the spread offense they ran.

Faircloth didn't have defensive players like Shawn Lang, Trayce Boudoin, Cody Clark or Chris Gohlke to help his defenses.

And neither Burnett nor Faircloth had that class of players who almost never lost a game in their junior and senior high careers during the 1974-77 run. A possibly once in a PN-G lifetime group of players that fueled off the charts community spirit.

The game has evolved. The rules have changed. Time marches on. My point was the current head coach is a good one and his style of offense is great. And he deserves and should be recognized for his success.

The 70s was a different era of football with an easier path to a championship. Same for the 90s. Top teams today are often stacked with much more size and speed, even D1 talent. And some even benefit from a lot of move ins because of their success.

So no, Faircloth has not made it to a state championship game. Very few coaches do. As much as I hate to say it, those days are going to be very difficult to achieve again. That might change when PN-G has enough top players to man the offense and defense.

Not making it during the seasons that RJ, Preston Riggs and other great players were here had little to do with coaching deficiencies. It will take a very, very special group of players on both sides of the ball to get past a Fort Bend Marshall, A&M Consolidated, College Station, and then beat the Aledo’s of the world.

Here’s to a great 2020 season and more wins.

Final note about message board Interest:
Yes, interest in this and other similar message boards have dropped over the years as has game attendance and overall enthusiasm as well. We live in a different world now where interest in football has dropped at every level. NFL attendance hit a decade low in 2019. NCAA attendance reached a 22-year low in 2019 and has dropped every year since about 2012. PN-G attendance is down as well both at home and away. I can't explain that. But I have had many, many people tell me that they no longer post here because of the controversy years ago concerning Burnett and the school board. The political nature of all that turned people off. That's a real shame because if you truly like Indian football, there is no better place to talk about it or immerse yourself in past and present PN-G football. Time to put that behind and support and celebrate Indian football.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Mid-nineties is when multiple teams started making the playoffs. MB's 1998 team was the first to qualify for that.

If we compare apples to apples, Ethridge had 4 outright district championships. Burnett and Faircloth had 2 each.

In his other 13 seasons Burnett had 4 teams make the playoffs as either co-champ (1), tri-champ (1) or other. Faircloth has had 8 playoff teams in his other 9 seasons that the Indians didn't claim a sole 1st place in district, 2 as co-champ and 1 as tri-champ. Ethridge only the 4 playoff teams during his time.

Burnett coached teams played +11 'extra' games if you look at it as abnormal. Faircloth coached teams played +14 games. And of course, Ethridge teams had no playoff games other than the 4 district championship seasons.

If we really get down to brass tacks, forgetting playoff games in non-outright district championship years, Faircloth leads the big 3 in regular season winning percentage during those seasons. (Set aside the extra playoff games and the DC years.)

Regular Season Games - Seasons When Not Outright District Champion
WLTTotalWin Pct.Seasons
Faircloth61280890.6859
Burnett695701260.54813
Ethridge36322700.5297
Point being even teams that didn’t win it all in the past 10 years were pretty darn good.

Speaking of advantages or disadvantages, that goes beyond opportunity to make the playoffs more often.

Burnett and Faircloth didn't have Ethridge’s staff of assistants that included: Greg Davis who became a very successful college OC including a national championship at UT. Bruce Bush who later won 271 games as a head coach (#22 in Texas HS history). And Tim Nunez who had a long, successful career coaching at The University of Texas, Marshall University, Southwest Texas State, Tulane University, and Texas A&M. And though he didn't achieve those levels of further coaching success, Butch Troy who coached those overachieving PN-G offensive lines in the 70s. Those coaches deserve much of the credit for those 70s teams.

Ethridge didn't have the luxury of larger players that are so common these days. Or a Dustin Long or Roschon Johnson along with the spread offense they ran.

Faircloth didn't have defensive players like Shawn Lang, Trayce Boudoin, Cody Clark or Chris Gohlke to help his defenses.

And neither Burnett nor Faircloth had that class of players who almost never lost a game in their junior and senior high careers during the 1974-77 run. A possibly once in a PN-G lifetime group of players that fueled off the charts community spirit.

The game has evolved. The rules have changed. Time marches on. My point was the current head coach is a good one and his style of offense is great. And he deserves and should be recognized for his success.

The 70s was a different era of football with an easier path to a championship. Same for the 90s. Top teams today are often stacked with much more size and speed, even D1 talent. And some even benefit from a lot of move ins because of their success.

So no, Faircloth has not made it to a state championship game. Very few coaches do. As much as I hate to say it, those days are going to be very difficult to achieve again. That might change when PN-G has enough top players to man the offense and defense.

Not making it during the seasons that RJ, Preston Riggs and other great players were here had little to do with coaching deficiencies. It will take a very, very special group of players on both sides of the ball to get past a Fort Bend Marshall, A&M Consolidated, College Station, and then beat the Aledo’s of the world.

Here’s to a great 2020 season and more wins.

Final note about message board Interest:
Yes, interest in this and other similar message boards have dropped over the years as has game attendance and overall enthusiasm as well. We live in a different world now where interest in football has dropped at every level. NFL attendance hit a decade low in 2019. NCAA attendance reached a 22-year low in 2019 and has dropped every year since about 2012. PN-G attendance is down as well both at home and away. I can't explain that. But I have had many, many people tell me that they no longer post here because of the controversy years ago concerning Burnett and the school board. The political nature of all that turned people off. That's a real shame because if you truly like Indian football, there is no better place to talk about it or immerse yourself in past and present PN-G football. Time to put that behind and support and celebrate Indian football.

+1

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores