Administrator
Staff member
When: August 25, 2023, 7:00PM

Where: PA Memorial Stadium

RADIO: FM 92.5

WEBCAST: www.cool925.com

GAME STREAM: YouTube NDN Press channel

From NDN Press:
TICKETS ON SALE: Ticket pre-sales are open for this Friday's varsity football game at Port Arthur Memorial.
Students and Adults tickets can now be purchased online at the following link
➡️
bit.ly/3YMEIZF
Student Tickets Pre-Sale: $3
Adult Tickets Pre-Sale: $5
All Tickets at the Gate: $7 (Ticket booth opens at 5:30 p.m.)

90NDN

500+ Posts
It will hopefully be a good game...while I do want a win, all I am asking for is a good showing for stuff to build upon and work on for the rest of the season. I'm glad we aren't playing pushovers prior to district play.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The '23 Indians start out on another season of success. They'll attempt to pick up where the '22 state finalist team left off. Tune ups against Memorial, United and WO-S will go a long way towards preparation for district.

DCTF's preseason rankings have Memorial at #8 in 5AD1, and the Indians at #6 in 5AD2. It should be a good battle.

What are your thoughts on week 1?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

2023 Preview - Port Neches-Groves​

Coach: Jeff Joseph. Lettermen R/L: 19/40. Starters returning O/D: 4/3.

2022: 13-3 state finalist/6-1 district. Key losses: Jansen Ware (Air Force).

Players to watch: ATH Shea Adams (6-4, 200, 4.6), OL Jackson Christian (6-5, 295), RB Isaiah Nguyen (5-8, 170, 4.6), WR/DB Reid Richard (5-9, 170, 4.6), DL Jonathan Hernandez (5-11, 260).

Top juniors: RB Blair Chetagnier (5-11, 195, 4.5), WR London Nunley (6-2, 175, 4.7).

Top sophomore: OL Aaron Wolford (6-4, 255).

Other prospects: DB Sean Gardiner, LB Mason Wuenschel.

2023 notes: It was a magical debut season for first-year head coach Jeff Joseph at PNG and fans in the Golden Triangle are ready for the encore. There’s not much on the field ATH Adams (35-429, 5 TDs receiving; 850 yards, 24 TDs rushing; 107 yards, 2 TDs passing) can’t do, but for now, pencil him in as the signal-caller operating behind a big offensive line that will be a bit younger in 2023. RB Nguyen (1,359 yards, 6 TDs rushing) emerged during the playoff run and will be a factor, as well. WR/DB Richard (34 tackles, 3 INTs) will likely see time on both sides of the ball, while DL Hernandez (37 tackles, 5 TFL, 3 sacks) is back to lead the defensive line after a strong sophomore season.

2023 Preview- Port Arthur Memorial​

Coach: Brian Morgan. Lettermen R/L: 23/15. Starters returning O/D: 4/7.

2022: 11-2 regional semifinalist/7-1 district. Key losses: Caleb Goodie (Colorado State), Cayden Bowie (Houston).

Players to watch: DB Daevon Iles (6-1, 180, 4.4), DE Michael Riles (6-4, 240, 4.8), WR Jaquan Holmes (5-10, 180, 4.5), RB Amante Martin (6-0, 195, 4.5), LB Taiyion King (6-1, 205, 4.5), DB Nolan White (5-10, 175, 4.5).

Top juniors: WR Semaj Pierre (5-10, 170, 4.4), DT Taveon Chatman (6-1, 290).

Top sophomore: DB Brock King (5-11, 175, 4.5).

Other prospects: RB Ja’coryn Baker, ATH Quinton Harper, OL Michael Milson, DE Kentrell Roberts, QB Cobe Stoever, OL Efrim Clark, DT Harvey Jones, OL Jahmal Rodgers-Arvie.

2023 notes: The Titans were sensational a year ago, pushing into the regional semifinals a year ago before falling to Longview and there’s no reason to think Morgan’s squad can’t be right in the thick of things in Region II once again. The defense, which brings back seven starters, will be the catalyst led by the return of DB Iles (8 INTs), who is an all-state candidate. DE Riles and LB King return and are FBS level recruits. The offense will be young but there’s talent with WR Holmes, RB Martin and speedy junior WR Pierre, who’s a move-in from Louisiana. Morgan says the defensive line, which started three sophomores last year, will be a strength, while youth on the offensive line will be his big concern heading into the season.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan, nice write up. Where do you get all the great info? Thanks for sharing. PN-G has the size, talent, and coaching to compete with anyone. Here's to a good game vs. a tough and talented PAM team. No injuries for either team. Go Indians.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Has the high school or district released any details of the live streaming of the game? Is it going to happen and where? NDN Press YouTube channel is the likely platform. But sharing that info with the public would be nice.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
That’s great to hear. The viewership would be much better if they would spread the word beyond mentioning it at the pep rally. It’s still a partial mystery to a lot of us who depend on TexanLive or this new effort to watch games.

90NDN

500+ Posts

For what it's worth, Tepp picked us over PAM ..it's towards the very end in the lightning round of picks. I was hoping we would be a featured matchup with 2 top 10 teams in 5A to start the season.

I didn't realize the Mellissa was facing Argyle week one in their new stadium...I might have to make the ride over there to check that one out .. only about 35 minutes away, but have cool 92.5 in my ear :)

bandkid

Staff member
Folks, the excitement about this game is palpable. I’m getting calls from Houston about it, and I’m not even in Port Neches. Tonight is the first time I can ever recall seeing multiple people posting live updates from the freshman and JV games on social media.

If we get the highly competitive game we all expect tomorrow, we might be looking at the rebirth of the old TJ rivalry.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
PA defense is legit. I know the have another week of practice and an extra scrimmage. PNG's defense looks to be stout for this season.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores