Good Points Today in PA News

Whodat

This was from Bob West's editorial section.

PN-G football coach Matt Burnett is taking a lot of heat, some deserved and some not, over a disappointing season. I have a hard time believing, however, that a change will be made with Burnett having a year left on his contract. After all, the guy is a year removed from winning a district and bidistrict championship, he’s a quality individual and he did take the Indians to the 4A finals in 1999. What kind of amuses me is how some PN-G fans like to use Doug Ethridge as an argument coaches can win there without great talent. Ethridge did, indeed, have a magical run from 1974-77. Over the next six years, however, his Indian teams were 30-28-2, including 4-5-1 in ‘79, 3-7 in ‘81 and 3-7 in ‘82. With fans grumbling, he hightailed it out of town in search of greener pastures

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
We've discussed the same points on the board this year. Despite the claims of some, we do have rational conversations here and do not over indulge in purple koolaid.

Those four years (74-77) were incredible. 52 total wins, 12 playoff wins, and some of the greatest player talent and assistant coaches in PN-G history.
The other seven seasons (73,78-83) totaled 37 wins over seven seasons and no playoff appearances. Coach Ethridge and those great Indian teams and coaches will always have a special place in Texas football history. ...
http://boards.pngindians.com/index.php?topic=264.150

And another relevant conversation concerning the value of great assistant coaches:
With all the talk of Larry Neumann leaving Nederland, an interesting topic comes to mind.

Like corporate management, head coaches are often credited with the success of a program despite the fact that excellent associates, or assistant coaches in the case of football, are the driving force of a successful program.

Former Port Neches-Groves head coach Doug Ethridge is considered to be the most successful coach in PN-G history . Given the outstanding success of his teams of the 70's, that reputation is deserved. But a closer look reveals some interesting points. The Indian staff of 74-77 included some outstanding assistants that proved to be very talented.

Greg Davis - current offensive coordinator at Texas.
Bruce Bush - went on to become one of the top 20 head coaches in Texas high school football history.
Tim Nunez - coached at university level for many seasons including Texas.

After these coaches departed, the Indian's under Ethridge saw less success. Any thoughts on this subject?

http://boards.pngindians.com/index.php?topic=57.msg290;topicseen#msg290

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
If THREE or FOUR teams made the playoffs in Coach Ethridge's tenure at PN-G he would have only missed the playoffs 3 or 4 times in 11 seasons. Plus, he never lost to Nederland and he had a winning record versus Thomas Jefferson and Lincoln. PA fans love to tout the success of Ronnie Thompson at Thomas Jefferson, but Doug Ethridge made a habit out of beating Ronnie Thompson whether it was at Vidor or Thomas Jefferson. Coach Ethridge did not schedule lightly ala private schools or lower classifications. He usually called up Pasadena Dobie, Houston Stratford, the Baytown schools, Bryan, etc. I'm not sure fans grumbled for Coach Ethridge to leave. His sons graduated, his daughter graduated, and he had built successful programs in West Texas, New Mexico, and at PN-G. Wherever he went, he won games ... and a lot of them. The numbers do not lie and he put a lot of hardware inside the PN-G trophy cases. Sure, he had talent during the 1970s, but, he and his coaching staff molded that talent, instilled confidence, called the plays, and created the dynasty. It did not happen by accident. Some of the greatest players to ever play at PN-G played during 1974-1977 ... Richy Ethridge, Ted Brack, Justin Eicher, Kyle Aguillard, Wilson Weber, etc. But, it takes coaching to put kids in position to maximize talent and achieve success.

Coaching matters ... Danny Malone took the same core of players from a 1988 1-8 team and built a 1989 team that went 12-2. Coaching matters.

Still, I think MB can get it done. He loves to win ... he loves PN-G ... and he's proved in the past that he can build teams and be successful. MB does need some talent ... he's doesn't need 22 All-Americans to win games ... he just needs a few playmakers on both sides. I only saw the 2008 Indians 2x. I think there was some talent on the team. 3-year QB, 2 good RBs, several returning OL, WRs, etc. The stale offense, lack of creativity with playcalling, and turnovers made for a difficult 2008. Sometimes bad seasons happen. Here's to a better 2009. I believe MB can and will get things back to normal with PN-G returning to its winning ways.

Go Indians. Peace.

akifan94

500+ Posts
Here are some points that did not make the PA News.

1.Nederland lost their starting QB in the playoffs last week. Who steps in? A sophomore QB who proceeds to lead Ned to 2 scoring drives while hitting 8 of 11 passes (or something like that). Also, a WR went out and ANOTHER sophomore steps in and they don't miss a beat. Is Nederland just loaded that much more talent? How many sophomores have even started for PN-G under Burnett? The only ones that I can think of are D. Long, Tatum, and maybe Trayce Boudoin. Can anyone name anymore? Point is, we do not develop talent under Burnett. He cannot do it alone, but he hires the people who are in position to do this. We are once again looking at 2 returning starters on defense. Yippy.

2. I went and watched my nephew Saturday play youth football (6th grade). I can assure you that their offensive play calling makes ours look like a joke. How can 6th graders run more complicated schemes than a varsity football team? If you don't believe me I can tell you where the next game is and you can watch for yourself. It is amazing.

Does anyone feel like these things are acceptable?

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
akifan94 said:

1.Nederland lost their starting QB in the playoffs last week. Who steps in? A sophomore QB who proceeds to lead Ned to 2 scoring drives while hitting 8 of 11 passes (or something like that). Also, a WR went out and ANOTHER sophomore steps in and they don't miss a beat. Is Nederland just loaded that much more talent? How many sophomores have even started for PN-G under Burnett? The only ones that I can think of are D. Long, Tatum, and maybe Trayce Boudoin. Can anyone name anymore? Point is, we do not develop talent under Burnett. He cannot do it alone, but he hires the people who are in position to do this. We are once again looking at 2 returning starters on defense. Yippy.

2. I went and watched my nephew Saturday play youth football (6th grade). I can assure you that their offensive play calling makes ours look like a joke. How can 6th graders run more complicated schemes than a varsity football team? If you don't believe me I can tell you where the next game is and you can watch for yourself. It is amazing.

I can name several others that started as sophomores (Chris Henson, Richard Sandifer, Nathaniel Osment, Don Cabanagan) granted, these 4 players were linemen but I know for a fact that the first three made up one of the best offensive lines PNG has ever had when they were seniors...heck derrick gohlke played as a freshman (at linebacker) I do believe...as far as skilled positions however, I can't really think of any besides the ones that you named to start as sophomores

akifan94

500+ Posts
NDNTime said:
akifan94 said:

I can name several others that started as sophomores (Chris Henson, Richard Sandifer, Nathaniel Osment, Don Cabanagan) granted, these 4 players were linemen but I know for a fact that the first three made up one of the best offensive lines PNG has ever had when they were seniors...heck derrick gohlke played as a freshman (at linebacker) I do believe...as far as skilled positions however, I can't really think of any besides the ones that you named to start as sophomores

I forgot about Gohlke. I knew there were more. Just not too many. And it really was a small amount in the skill positions.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
And how many mommies would be griping, like this year, when their senior doesn't get to play, because Burnett played a sophomore. You just can't please everyone.

akifan94

500+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
And how many mommies would be griping, like this year, when their senior doesn't get to play, because Burnett played a sophomore. You just can't please everyone.

I personally could care less about the griping moms. ;D Now, once the season was done and we were playing Central, I see no reason why he could not have let the seniors who never touched the field go in on a kickoff, punt, kick return, defensive series, something. No reason for not doing that.

N

NDNPARENT

akifan94 said:
PNG Proud said:

I personally could care less about the griping moms. ;D Now, once the season was done and we were playing Central, I see no reason why he could not have let the seniors who never touched the field go in on a kickoff, punt, kick return, defensive series, something. No reason for not doing that.

total agreement here! they practice hard with the starters , should have a least played in the last 2 games!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I agree too. Personally, I'd be pretty pissed if I worked hard for all those years, and once the season has been decided, never got to set foot on the field of play.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores