In Memory of Tip Durham

Do you think the district should recognize Tip Durhams's 40 years of service to the athletics progra

• Yes

Votes: 78 96.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
One of the constants over 40 years of PNG football has been the presence and voice of Tip Durham in the press box announcing games. Generations of Indians associate PNG football games with his unique voice.

He dedicated a portion of his life to Indian sports events. Should the district in turn dedicate something in his memory?

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
One of the constants over 40 years of PNG football has been the presence and voice of Tip Durham in the press box announcing games. Generations of Indians associate PNG football games with his unique voice.

He dedicated a portion of his life to Indian sports events. Should the district in turn dedicate something in his memory?
ABSOLUTELY !

OldEagle

500+ Posts
For those who did not make the Vidor game: Vidor had a circle with the word "TIP" inside marked on the 42 yard line on our side of the field. The PA announcer said some good things about him. Our side gave a standing O for this gesture. FYI they also had a circle with "CB" on the other 42 yard line.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
OldEagle said:
For those who did not make the Vidor game: Vidor had a circle with the word "TIP" inside marked on the 42 yard line on our side of the field. The PA announcer said some good things about him. Our side gave a standing O for this gesture. FYI they also had a circle with "CB" on the other 42 yard line.

That's really, really awesome!!

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
OldEagle said:
I thought that it was a really nice gesture by the Pirates. Now the INDIANS need to do something really great in Tip's honor. Naming the Press Box after him is the only thing that seems fitting.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
As we all agree, there will never be another Tip Durham. Odds are that no one will ever match his 4 decades of time as the announcer.

Now it's time to recognize him for that accomplishment and dedication. There will never be anyone more deserving.

bandkid

Staff member
PNGROW4650YRDLN said:
OldEagle said:
I thought that it was a really nice gesture by the Pirates. Now the INDIANS need to do something really great in Tip's honor. Naming the Press Box after him is the only thing that seems fitting.

It just goes to show that whether you call yourself an Indian, a Pirate, a Jaguar, or even a Bulldog, you're still a Southeast Texan. This is one big community.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
75307_1518793250706_1260750733_31383967_525846_n.jpg

Indianette78

I think that besides naming the press box after him also having his "opening" greeting enscribed would be nice as well. After all that's his signature line when the band/indianettes take the field. I would start with the superintendent to get this one done. Maybe booster club could address this???

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
Indianette78 said:
I think that besides naming the press box after him also having his "opening" greeting enscribed would be nice as well. After all that's his signature line when the band/indianettes take the field. I would start with the superintendent to get this one done. Maybe booster club could address this???
I like the way you think.

ndnclar91

Tip Durham was the standard of purple and tradition that few of us will ever reach. He was an amazing man who will be greatly missed. In his 40 years, with PNGISD, he impacted thousands of lives. We can only hope that he knew how important he was to the community that he loved so much. The family is currently working on a tribute shirt in his honor with Rip Graphix in Groves. $10 from the sale of every shirt will go to the Tip Durham Scholarship Fund that was created upon his passing. It will be so exciting to see the community come together to help keep his dreams of helping students alive. I cant wait.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
ndnclar91 said:
Tip Durham was the standard of purple and tradition that few of us will ever reach. He was an amazing man who will be greatly missed. In his 40 years, with PNGISD, he impacted thousands of lives. We can only hope that he knew how important he was to the community that he loved so much. The family is currently working on a tribute shirt in his honor with Rip Graphix in Groves. $10 from the sale of every shirt will go to the Tip Durham Scholarship Fund that was created upon his passing. It will be so exciting to see the community come together to help keep his dreams of helping students alive. I cant wait.

Please keep us filled in on shirt details.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
We loved Tip and knew him for years, but think a dedication plaque would be more appropriate. If we start naming buildings for people where would it end? Why not name the stadium "Ethridge Stadium"? (I meant that to be an example only). Why not place a plaque in the pressbox of each and every one of the Indians announcers? What a great honor that would be and current announcers know they are following in great people's footsteps.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
squaw said:
We loved Tip and knew him for years, but think a dedication plaque would be more appropriate. If we start naming buildings for people where would it end? Why not name the stadium "Ethridge Stadium"? (I meant that to be an example only). Why not place a plaque in the pressbox of each and every one of the Indians announcers? What a great honor that would be and current announcers know they are following in great people's footsteps.

Because his association with, and presence in the press box transcends generations of coaches, teachers, administrators, teams and fans. And is specific enough that there shouldn't be much posturing about what gets what named after who. If there was ever a clear cut case, this is it.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Indianfan is right on - no person personafies the Purple Pride than Mr. Durham.
Think about it player/student, teacher, father and announcer. I'm with you on this one!!!

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
squaw said:

Because his association with, and presence in the press box transcends generations of coaches, teachers, administrators, teams and fans. And is specific enough that there shouldn't be much posturing about what gets what named after who. If there was ever a clear cut case, this is it.
I couldn't agree more. It seems only fitting. Because other schools recognize this it would seem horrible if PNGISD did not name the press box after Mr. Durham.

bandkid

Staff member
PNGROW4650YRDLN said:
IndianFan said:
squaw said:

I couldn't agree more. It seems only fitting. Because other schools recognize this it would seem horrible if PNGISD did not name the press box after Mr. Durham.

Naming the press box after him won't bee the only thing that PN-G does in Tip Durham's memory. Y'all will see what I'm talking about Friday.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores