My proud moment at the Crosby game.......

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
Just a little story I wanted to share with everyone.

As we walked back to our car after the amazing come from behind win last night, we encountered a couple totally "decked out" in their red & white (obviously Crosby fans). Although I was practically hoarse from yelling my guts out :shout:, I mustered up enough to say hello and remark about what a great game it was.

The gentleman replied, "You know, it sure was. I was just transferred to Texas from out of state. I moved my family to Crosby and man... you guys must be so proud and supportive of your team. I have never seen so many fans travel 50 miles away to see a high school football game. Me & my wife heard from a number of people here in Crosby that we better get here early tonight if we wanted a seat and we laughed to ourselves thinking these people are playing a joke on us. Well, we were not disappointed. I know our son must have been so excited to take the field in front of all these people. It felt like a college atmosphere!"

I smiled as big as I could and told him that we were very proud of PN-G and all of the kids and appreciated his kind words.

He then said, "Oh yeah, and let me just say that this is the first time in 15 years that I have left a home football game humming the other teams fight song!" :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Yes folks... I am proud to be an NDN!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------
Other observations from the game....

BAND & INDIANETTES - Looked and sounded good this week!!! Great job when I'm sure the practices were short due to the evacuations last week.

CHEERLEADERS & INDIANETTES - Someone else mentioned on a previous post about them placing the word THE when singing Cherokee. I was close to the track and clearly heard them sing, "Always be faithful.....to THE purple & white.." Someone may want to let them know that is not how it was written. I am disappointed if someone is teaching these young men & women that incorrect version.

THE CROWD - Was one of the most involved crowds that I have seen in a long time. Many people are finally catching on and standing during Cherokee (which was played after almost every first down & important play). No other way to say it other than the crowd was "in it to win it" last night!!!!

SCALP EM!!

IndianKen

INDIAN KEN #1 BAND FAN
WoW!! there was a whole new team that exploded onto the field the 2nd half of the crosby game. Not only did something happen in the locker room, but the fans also came alive second half. You could actually feel the mementum in the air. There still seems to be a problem of some non-compliant or uninterested fans. Many were not standing for cherokee! Come on guys! Those boys are playing their hearts out and when they see fans sitting around
chewing the fat and not standing for the school song it's aggravating. If you sit by someone whose not standing for cherokee please ask them to support the team a little more. We all love the Indians and it won't hurt to stand for the
2-3 minutes of cherokee! Go Indians.....We love all of you. Indian Ken

pngdad56

I know this is not how the song was written, but..... I know that since the early 70's at least, most people have sung to "the" purple and white. Adding the word "the" has been passed down to several generations. The part I don't like is when people spell out C-O-N-Q-U-E-S-T during Cherokee. That definitely is something new. The main thing is I don't care if you add "the" or spell out conquest..... just get off your butt, stand up, clap, sing(if your voice isn't as bad as mine!) and show respect for our fight song, school and team.

warpaint101

That is one great story, I was at the game and it was 1 (I bet the media is sorry they missed!!!!! ) :duel: :party:

squaw

1,000+ Posts
pngdad56 said:
I know this is not how the song was written, but..... I know that since the early 70's at least, most people have sung to "the" purple and white. Adding the word "the" has been passed down to several generations. The part I don't like is when people spell out C-O-N-Q-U-E-S-T during Cherokee. That definitely is something new. The main thing is I don't care if you add "the" or spell out conquest..... just get off your butt, stand up, clap, sing(if your voice isn't as bad as mine!) and show respect for our fight song, school and team.
I agree--I don't like CONQUEST spelled out, but I also have never before heard the word "the" added. I just wish people would leave our traditions alone. Why "fix" something that ain't broke?? I know that we didn't spell out conquest nor use "THE purple and white" during the glory days of the 70's. Lets get back to the basics and, while we're at it, another state championship would be nice! :)

86ndnfan

I was proud as well. I TOTALLY agree with the comment about the crowd... In past years, I felt like the only one around me standing up and singing Cherokee! My friends often tease me about "bleeding purple" but I couldn't be more proud of that quality. It is really special this year as both of my sons play football. My oldest is on the varsity :helmet: and he was brought to tears after the game on Saturday. I just can't imagine how totally AWESOME it's going to be in the new stadium!!!

By the way--- I've been trying to put together a video of the football game pictures and I've been trying to download "Cherokee", but I can't get it! Anyone have any ideas or can they post it here to let us know??? It would really make one senior very happy! Thanks everyone and let's keep up the support of our team! :band:

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
I think the I-ettes have been spelling "conquest" since the late 90's, for certain they were doing it in the '99 season, this is the first I heard "the purple and white".

Maybe one of the reasons things change is that you have more frequent changes in sponsors and directors etc, so they may not know how it has always been done and hence may realize a need to correct the change...i.e. you lose continuity.

Kind of fun getting into the minutia of it all, seems like we need Seinfeld, Kramer, Elaine, and George here :)

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores