New Cheerleaders

NDN X

100+ Posts
I haven't heard who will be joining the varsity squad this year. Anyone have a list? Just curious. List all squads if you know em.....

86ndn

09-10 Varsity Cheerleaders:

Morgan Thigpen (2-yr. sr.)
Alexis Hollier (2-yr. sr.)
Krista Prince (2-yr. sr.)
Chelsea Hammonds (2-yr. sr.)
Brooke Roy (2-yr. sr.)
Cori Spencer (1-yr. sr.)
Candace Simmons (1-yr. sr.)
Lauren Kyler (jr.)
Mallory Gilbert (jr.)
Morgan Sims (jr.)
Shalyn Roccaforte (jr.)
Anna Hunter (jr.)

JV and Freshman tryouts are later in the month of April.

littleindian

PN-G originally had 8 Varsity cheerleaders. Five were always elected each year. That consisted of 3 sophomores and 2 juniors. The 3 sophomores each year did not have to tryout again as long as they could fullfill their duty as cheerleader. That put 5 seniors and 3 juniors on the squad each year. The 3 returning seniors had experience and taught the new comers.The votes were student body only. I'm not sure when the number changed and when the girls had to start trying out each year. I think it is terrible that a girl can lose her spot on the squad because of a bad day in front of judges! :thumbsdown: People need to remember that the judges do not know anything about the girls character and if they will truly lead the crowd.

I would love to know when and who changed the rules? I would also like to know if any other varsity organizations have to tryout each year?

P.N.G.FOREVER

I am not sure why, but somewhere around/between 1993 and 1995 is when everyone had to tryout again.

Judges were introduced into the varsity tryouts Spring of 1997, later followed judges for jv and freshman. I am not sure of the exact year.

Regarding when the number of cheerleaders changed from 8 to 10 I am not sure, but I can tell you when it changed from 10 to 12. Between the spring of 2000 and 2002 PN-G had a superintendent (not the current one) that had a daughter(a sophomore) trying out for a position as a junior on the varsity squad. 12 girls participated in try-outs Friday morning, 10 girls were announced Friday afternoon. Come Monday it was announced that we had 12 girls on the squad. One of the 2 girls that did not make it on Friday was his daughter. I am sure there is probably a ‘story’ or ‘reason’ why, but everyone formed their own opinion.

ndncheerer

Two previous cheerleaders this year will not be returning next season. It's very sad to have been a cheerleader all through out high school and then your senior year have it gone because of a bad day!!! :'( I too would like to know who changed that rule. Must not have been a parent that saw their child heartbroken for their senior year. Are there any varsity sports that have to re -tryout? Indianettes don't have to.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Not disagreeing, but on the other hand, there could be a situation where the cheerleader turned out to not be very good, was not a team player, or caused alot of trouble. In a case like that, it's a good way to put better girls in their place. In a way, it's like real life,...you perform every day, or you're gone.

Heck, I remember when I was a Jr., I made 2nd chair All-Region Band, but my senior yr., I didn't make it at all. I know that I didn't do well that day, but the seat went to someone who did better.

And before someone crawls up my panties, I was NOT saying that those reasons were actually the case. They were just examples.

ndncheerer

Judges do not know if they are a team player or cause trouble. I know a few ex- football players who have caused trouble and even been arrested, but yet were on the field the next week playing. hmmmm :-\

bandkid

Staff member
ndncheerer, you wouldn't happen to know how they divide up the tryout scores, would you? Like, 60% judging and 40% elections, or something like that?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of the cheerleading squad, any volunteers to help build a history page for the new web site that's on the way?

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
I have a question. If you REALLY want to get the BEST cheerleaders then why would the school bring in the same judges every year????

TheBoysMom

Cheermom4 said:
I have a question. If you REALLY want to get the BEST cheerleaders then why would the school bring in the same judges every year????

Is it really the exact same three people every year?

littleindian

They had different judges each year for 2006 & 2007. Is Varsity Cheerleaders the only group that has to tryout each year?

bandkid

Staff member
littleindian said:
They had different judges each year for 2006 & 2007. Is Varsity Cheerleaders the only group that has to tryout each year?

No. JV has tryouts in front of the sophomores and freshman each year, and the incoming freshman squad has tryouts in front of the eighth graders at the middle schools each year, with five at Groves and five at Port Neches.

ndncheerer said:
70 % judges, 20% student body, 10% grades & attendance

Thanks for the info.

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
bandkid said:
littleindian said:

No. JV has tryouts in front of the sophomores and freshman each year, and the incoming freshman squad has tryouts in front of the eighth graders at the middle schools each years, with five at Groves and five at Port Neches.

Not anymore JV tryouts for Judges one day and the next for student body. 70% judges, 20% student body and 10% grades,conduct and attendance. The Freshman tryout in front of Judges only no student body vote. That was started last year they pick the best 10.

bandkid

Staff member
Cheermom4 said:
bandkid said:
littleindian said:

No. JV has tryouts in front of the sophomores and freshman each year, and the incoming freshman squad has tryouts in front of the eighth graders at the middle schools each years, with five at Groves and five at Port Neches.

Not anymore JV tryouts for Judges one day and the next for student body. 70% judges, 20% student body and 10% grades,conduct and attendance. The Freshman tryout in front of Judges only no student body vote. That was started last year they pick the best 10.

Really? Wow. Why did this start with the freshman squad?

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores