Probability and stats. for 3rd and 1 among other observations

Lilabbeyville

Execution of playbook is good but confusing almost as if team is overcoached as evident with the numerous flags while QB and entire OL looks to sideline for some sort of cipher. Too many 3 and 1's go 4 and 1 after QB takes snap (-5 yds from where ball was laying), passed laterally along line of scrimmage (approx. 12 -15 yds laterally) and stuffed or thrown for loss after reception. Cost the Livingston, Gregory Portland and one other game,, passing on 3rd and 1, failing to convert and having to punt in a game where whoever has the ball last, wins. Picture it, on every play the ball moves for negative yardage just by snapping the ball so why add additional room for mishap by chunking it laterally along the line where it must touch the center, the QB and hopefully wind up in the hands of a reciever. Just an observation. Also as the 09 season faded with two fade routes executed by Brenham with our secondary standing flat footed all around admiring the catches so began the 2010 season. About mid way through the year did I see our boys actually leaving their feet to block, knock down or intercept the football. Good improvement. As for Alvin Manvill, no different than any team with speed, keep your offense on the field by moving the chains. 10 yards in 3 or 4 attempts. You get up by one score two if possible (which certainly was), and you psychologically dis-joint your opponent while at the same time giving your defense something to defend. The play calling in the first quarter shouldn't have shocked me but it did. Its the oldest known principle of football, ESTABLISH the running game first. We have the running back and the OL to do it but we chose Flash and dazzle just like in the Stephenville game. Danged determined to throw the football down ouropponents throats first. Remember Bo's run in that Stephenville game? Oh well, lets back the boys next year and see how she goes. As far as the taunting by Manville, what did you expect? We played right into their hands.

90NDN

500+ Posts
We are a spread offense now...that said, our goal is not to establish the run ..granted we had a great running game so it shouldn't be a surprise...when a qb is not used to taking taking snaps under center, bad things happen..ask slc in their game with Katy a few yrs back...the wr screen is just as effective for a couple yard gain imo

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
1. We did not get numerous flags in 2009 or 2010 while the QB and OL looks to the sideline.

2. I'll take the shotgun formation and 4,000+ yards of offense each season over run, run, pass, punt. The stats and W-L record support what we do. The philosophy you advocate for worked in 1950-1980. It's 2010.

3. You put the ball in open space and good things happen. See Katy, SLC, Lake Travis, Aledo, Stephenville, Highland Park, and countless other schools that shelved the run, run, pass, punt philosophy.

4. PN-G lost to G-P because we got in a tight bunch formation on 4th and 1 and we did not convert. Sometimes other teams make plays. They have players, schemes, and coaches, too. The Indians lost to Texas City because the officials screwed us on 2 phantom pass interference calls. PN-G lost to Livingston because it could not stop them...we scored 40+ points plenty of times. Our defense got better as the season wore on. Many HS games, like the college game, involve points, points, points, and more points...with defenses doing what they can to make a few stops. PN-G lost to Manvel because they were the better team on both sides of the ball. It happens. Sometimes you play better teams and come up short. At times you can win a game you are not supposed to, but when other teams play well and we come up short that does not mean we should abandon what we do and go back to run, run, run, punt.

5. The stats for the PN-G RBs, in case you missed it, have been breaking records in 2009 and 2010 (since Coach Faircloth arrived). I think he knows a thing or 2 about establishing the run game and winning games.

6. PN-G got up on Manvel by 1 score, but the Mavs were not psychologically disjointed.

7. Thank the Lord for D-Long and the passing game in 1999 or PN-G never would have been in the state title game. Maybe Wortham had that nice run because S'ville wanted to shutdown the PN-G 3-step passing game.

Nothing like fans wanting to go back in time, with revisionist history, and return to mediocrity. We finally move into the 21st Century and win games, and people want to rewind time and return to 1978-1988 or the MB regime of student body right, student body left, punt. And, lose 14-2, 14-6, 22-19, 42-10, etc. But, hey, we won the time of possession stat.

I'll take Coach Faircloth.

Go Indians. Peace.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
Tell Mr. Harmon and Mr. Bertrand that we don't want to run the ball, that we are all "flash and dazzle". Coach Faircloth does not want his offense called a "spread". His philosophy is power running game and taking advantage of mismatches(created by formation and coaching) in the passing game. Most spread offenses zone block in thier running game and are not physical. PNG pulls guards and tackles and executes the trap play very well. In case you didn't notice, Bertrand had over 200 yards vs. Willis, plus Jalali, LaCour and even Doty added to the rushing total. It's called taking what the defense gives you and taking advantage of strenghts vs. weaknesses. The old days of running the same plays no matter what personnel we have or what defense we face are over. These coaches are putting our kids in position to win each and every game. It was obvious to me that we did not match up well vs. Manvel when it came to the running game, so we threw the ball and hoped it would open up the run in the second half. Unfortunately, due to Manvel's strong start early in the 3rd qtr, I am sure that our gameplan went up in smoke. You complain about playcalling in the 1st qtr? I was at the game and I am pretty sure it was tied at halftime. I can't imagine why anyone would complain about a high powered, balanced, record-setting offense. One more thing....I can't remember us getting a penalty ONE TIME while the plays were being signaled in....where you at the same games I was?

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
If you noticed Manvel started with 5 down linemen, with the full intent to stop the run. When they did that, it left the passing wide open. So we passed, until they did what we wanted them to do, which was adjust for the passing game. When they did that, we were able to run.. BF will ALWAYS take what you give us. I'm thankful that we had a team that could do that........WELL!

Torino

500+ Posts
1989NDN said:
1. We did not get numerous flags in 2009 or 2010 while the QB and OL looks to the sideline.

2. I'll take the shotgun formation and 4,000+ yards of offense each season over run, run, pass, punt. The stats and W-L record support what we do. The philosophy you advocate for worked in 1950-1980. It's 2010.

3. You put the ball in open space and good things happen. See Katy, SLC, Lake Travis, Aledo, Stephenville, Highland Park, and countless other schools that shelved the run, run, pass, punt philosophy.e

4. PN-G lost to G-P because we got in a tight bunch formation on 4th and 1 and we did not convert. Sometimes other teams make plays. They have players, schemes, and coaches, too. The Indians lost to Texas City because the officials screwed us on 2 phantom pass interference calls. PN-G lost to Livingston because it could not stop them...we scored 40+ points plenty of times. Our defense got better as the season wore on. Many HS games, like the college game, involve points, points, points, and more points...with defenses doing what they can to make a few stops. PN-G lost to Manvel because they were the better team on both sides of the ball. It happens. Sometimes you play better teams and come up short. At times you can win a game you are not supposed to, but when other teams play well and we come up short that does not mean we should abandon what we do and go back to run, run, run, punt.

5. The stats for the PN-G RBs, in case you missed it, have been breaking records in 2009 and 2010 (since Coach Faircloth arrived). I think he knows a thing or 2 about establishing the run game and winning games.

6. PN-G got up on Manvel by 1 score, but the Mavs were not psychologically disjointed.

7. Thank the Lord for D-Long and the passing game in 1999 or PN-G never would have been in the state title game. Maybe Wortham had that nice run because S'ville wanted to shutdown the PN-G 3-step passing game.

Nothing like fans wanting to go back in time, with revisionist history, and return to mediocrity. We finally move into the 21st Century and win games, and people want to rewind time and return to 1978-1988 or the MB regime of student body right, student body left, punt. And, lose 14-2, 14-6, 22-19, 42-10, etc. But, hey, we won the time of possession stat.

I'll take Coach Faircloth.

Go Indians. Peace.

There's an interesting web site named texashsfootball.com. It has an encyclopedia of sorts about HS football. You can go to this link
http://texashsfootball.com/board/thsfpedia/index.php/Port_Neches
and see the score of every game PNHS/PNGHS has played (I know this site has the same info, but txhsfpedia totals the scores for each year).
PNG HS scored a school-record 493 points in 16 games 1999 (32 points ppg). PN HS scored 452 points in 13 games in 1954--the previous record for a 13 game season (35 ppg). The 2010 team scored 485 points, second only to the 1999 team and the highest
per game average ever at 37.2 ppg).
Perhaps points aren't everything, and I'm certainly not saying this was our best team ever. It's hard to compare eras--for example, prior to 1982, every playoff game was against a district champ and points were tough to come by. Rules change, etc.
But I don't think offense was our problem in 2010.

75NDNDB

Lilabbeyville, seems you opened up a can of worms! Please close the can! Our offensive plan and execution IMHO was as good this year as anyones in the state. We just struggled with defense that improved as the year progressed but was still not where they needed to be. To have a championship team you have to have a solid offense, defense AND special teams. Our special teams seemed not to improve as the year progressed. We really lacked team speed and could not kick the ball downfield because we could not contain the runners. Seemed that some were afraid to hit. In the second half of the Manvel game, I would turn my head because I didnt want to see the returns! I could hear the roar of the Manvel crowd and I knew what was happening! Anyway, we are supposed to have more speed on next years team with alot of returning varsity players. Cant see us not winning district outright. Hope they work hard on special teams and D in the off season!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores