The "HIT" by Legend Chris Gohlke in 1999

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Chris Gohlke will go down in history for his hit against Lamarque's receiver in the first drive by the Lamarque Cougars in the 1999 quarterfinals. Chris who is in the pngindians.com Hall Of Honor https://www.pngindians.com/football/hall-of-honor/ in part for his ability to demolish opposing players with his huge hits showed Lamarque that catching in the middle of the field was a dangerous prospect. He had the Lamarque players hearing footsteps the rest of the game. The Indians went on the win the game and played the Schertz Clemons Buffaloes the next week at Kyle Field in College Station. Below is a short clip of Gohlke's hit in that game.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Indian99, you shut down more than a few option plays that game, leaving some pad imprints along the way. Textbook technique. Back in the day we called outside linebacker positions chief and brave. Assuming you guys were still running The old Split 6 defense in ‘99.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Another player from the ‘99 team that was a beast but didn’t receive a lot of recognition was #80 C.J. Blier. I was only able to attend a few playoff games that year but he stood out as possibly the strongest player on the team. Great blocker and when he played defense he was almost unblockable.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
You do not make it to state without. Great defense and this one was just that

Indian99

500+ Posts
Another player from the ‘99 team that was a beast but didn’t receive a lot of recognition was #80 C.J. Blier. I was only able to attend a few playoff games that year but he stood out as possibly the strongest player on the team. Great blocker and when he played defense he was almost unblockable.

CJ was a beast! I believe he was the only player on the team that played both ways consistently.

Indian99

500+ Posts
I wish that game, along with several others in 99 were on YouTube. I have a bunch of old tapes, but sadly many have been damaged over the years. Maybe someday I’ll break them out and attempt to add the games that I still have.

Indian99

500+ Posts
Not sure if this link will work or not, but I found a recent upload of the 1999 State Championship game on YouTube. Kinda difficult to rewatch again after all these years, honestly. Good times though!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if this link will work or not, but I found a recent upload of the 1999 State Championship game on YouTube. Kinda difficult to rewatch again after all these years, honestly. Good times though!

Stephenville was not unbeatable that day, but made plays when they needed to. Twenty one years later, what is your impression of the outcome? Other than K. Briles not having the game he had, what could the Indians have done differently? I had an immediate impression on that during the game, but would be great to hear your thoughts since you were in the action.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The PN-G offense was a little off during the first few drives, but it seemed like Stephenville had six or seven defenders in coverage. D. Long had to throw over LBs and underneath the DBs. Very difficult throws to make into blanket coverage. The zig-zag run by Briles for Stephenville's first TD, well, it happens. You just tip your cap to the kid for making an outstanding play. Another tip of the cap to Bo Wortham. He played very well for PN-G. Good job by the PN-G defense for creating turnovers and laying the wood to Stephenville ball carriers. PN-G just ran out of time. Joey Price with his bionic leg. His FGs wold have been good from 50+ yards out.

Go INDIANS! Peace.

Indian99

500+ Posts
Honestly, we were out-matched with their size and speed on both sides of the ball. We hung with them all game out of sheer grit and determination. No matter how hard they hit or how fast they were, we never really let the game get out of hand. Dustin was a little off, but Briles was really the game-changer in that game. Stephenville was really ahead of the curve with the West Coast style offense. We were still taking snaps from center 90% of the time. However, like I said, we hung with them all game - one more ball bounce in our favor and the outcome may have been different.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I knew immediately that the Indians were fighting an uphill battle when Long was missing completions to open receivers. He didn't have his A game that day, but the team battled back and held their own. I agree Briles was the difference in the game, he couldn't be stopped.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores