Todd Dodge

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I agree with Usedtocould. Lovejoy is a growing area. They should be 6A when the next realignment rolls around. I would not rule out SOC from another return to AT&T in 2024. As PN-G showed, to beat SOC, you have to go toe-to-toe with them in the trenches. You have to stay committed to running the ball, block well, protect the passer, and go grab the football when you got a shot at it. You have to match the physicality of SOC, tackle well in open space, and play a hard nose brand of football for 48-minutes. In the DFW area, a lot of teams want to spread the field and out-finesse the opponent. That doesn't beat SOC. Coach Joseph gave the blueprint for beating SOC, but very few teams can do it. It's big boy football in the trenches and PN-G got in there and played physical football for 48 minutes. I'm not sure spread teams can do that. Maybe so, but I'd roll the dice with PN-G's style vs. SOC.

HJJ97NDN

100+ Posts
I agree with Usedtocould. Lovejoy is a growing area. They should be 6A when the next realignment rolls around. I would not rule out SOC from another return to AT&T in 2024. As PN-G showed, to beat SOC, you have to go toe-to-toe with them in the trenches. You have to stay committed to running the ball, block well, protect the passer, and go grab the football when you got a shot at it. You have to match the physicality of SOC, tackle well in open space, and play a hard nose brand of football for 48-minutes. In the DFW area, a lot of teams want to spread the field and out-finesse the opponent. That doesn't beat SOC. Coach Joseph gave the blueprint for beating SOC, but very few teams can do it. It's big boy football in the trenches and PN-G got in there and played physical football for 48 minutes. I'm not sure spread teams can do that. Maybe so, but I'd roll the dice with PN-G's style vs. SOC.
We need them to stick around and give SOC a headache for a little while.

bandkid

Staff member
^ This. 100%.

Too many Texas HS coaches try to be Texas Tech or Mack Brown’s version of Texas. SOC tries to be Alabama. To beat Alabama, you have to make like Georgia or Steve Sarkisian’s version of Texas and adapt the Alabama blueprint to work for your program.

(Yes, my bias is showing.)

NHSBulldogFan

Both Duncanville and DeSoto beat SOC in the trenches...high school football the last several years has reverted back to the old rules win at the line of scrimmage play good defense and you'll win...the finese teams just hasn't been able to win in the larger classification and I don't expect 2024 to be any different

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Too many working pieces in the super complicated “high coaching” (a name I made up)
Where each timing leads to another timing and if one person misses a block it can be a disaster
Not just an incomplete pass or loss but maybe a turnover or pick 6 (I find myself holding my breath with fingers crossed) ego builders for the coaching staff and sometimes players but as great 20th century philosopher Mike Tyson said “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouf”
That’s the kind of plays FBM and SOC thrive on (scavenger ball)
Everyone was looking for Lovejoy to upend (if not upset) SOC (42-0)

More teams should run the wing or slot T because while it is about timing it’s a quick hit many times none of the defense knows who has the ball until he has the first down or more
But even better “Joseph Ball” get two scores up and take the air out of the ball

A big statement was made last year when the first play of the game was a QB sneak.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Even the NFL has gone back to RUN FIRST philosophy and the running QB is ruling the day with Jackson and Mahomes etc
IMO the run will Always set up the pass and I don’t see that changing without some wild and crazy rule changes.

bandkid

Staff member
Both Duncanville and DeSoto beat SOC in the trenches...high school football the last several years has reverted back to the old rules win at the line of scrimmage play good defense and you'll win...the finese teams just hasn't been able to win in the larger classification and I don't expect 2024 to be any different
People forget that the spread caught on like wildfire in small town West Texas specifically because it gave schools that lacked size an edge when playing larger programs. Twenty years later, the bigger schools have figured it out and made adjustments. Now it’s a slowly dying offensive philosophy.

But don’t tell the schools in West Texas that. I watched Frenship play Odessa Permian at Ratliff last season. I don’t think there was a defense anywhere within a hundred miles of that game.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Not much mention of it but it you look at the stats, including the negative yardage lost by Little, which SOC failed to factor in when they turned in game stats to MaxPreps, PN-G held SOC to fewer yards than either Desoto or Duncanville. And that’s after a full season of SOC refining its offense. The defensive play by the Indians, and the ability to make the offensive plays when needed will become PN-G legend with the passing of time.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
It was definitely the best defense played by PN-G since 1999, 1977, or 1976? It was the best in a long, long time. It goes back to the old saying, defense wins championships. I agree with NHS Bulldog. If your team can compete on the line of scrimmage, stay committed to running the football, and play good defense, your team will have a good shot to win the game.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores