Traveling to Away Games...... is it in the budget?

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
We have some good friends that have a son that participates in the Kingwood High School Military Marching Band who came home last week and announced to his parents that the band was told that they would probably not be performing at "away" games this year due to budget costs in bus services for extra curricular activities such as the band, drill team and pep squad. Our friends are trying to get a straight answer from district officials but I have to say I am surprised if this is in fact true. If Kingwood (known in the Houston area to be one of the more "affluent" schools) is cutting back on transportation, how long until other schools follow suit? I wonder if this is another sign of what sky-rocketing gas prices has done?

Has there been any talk (rumor) about this occurring with Mid County schools???

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Although Kingwood is an affluent area they are in the Humble ISD, which from what I hear is in a money crunch situatuation right now. They are building alot of schools and about to open HS #5. Alot of the bigger school districts are having money problems just like everywhere else. It doesn't matter how rich your district is, the cost of everything is rising. I would be very suprised though if the band and other members of drill teams don't travel to away games. That might be just a rumor, but who knows.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
As another example, Cy-Fair ISD which is certainly "affluent" and a top rated district, is on the verge of bankruptcy thanks to the state which based on some crazy formula is not allocating enough $$ per student.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
As another example, Cy-Fair ISD which is certainly "affluent" and a top rated district, is on the verge of bankruptcy thanks to the state which based on some crazy formula is not allocating enough $$ per student.

And our wonderful state leaders use district such as CF to illustrate that "quality" education can occur without putting extra money into schools.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Not to mention all the money that the state STEALS from PNGISD...all under the "Robin Hood" label. Wouldn't it be a pitiful shame if the same fate came upon our band and Indianettes, while sending MILLIONS to the state for schools that don't want to raise their own taxes? :machinegun:

squaw

1,000+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
Not to mention all the money that the state STEALS from PNGISD...all under the "Robin Hood" label. Wouldn't it be a pitiful shame if the same fate came upon our band and Indianettes, while sending MILLIONS to the state for schools that don't want to raise their own taxes? :machinegun:
Well, if worse comes to worse, can't parents, relatives, friends, etc., transport band and Indianette members to the out of town games???? I personally can't see us traveling without the whole "hoorah." Or we are willing as fans to donate for a student to travel. Any other ideas?

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
As much as I love football itself -- If you kill the band and Indianettes, you might as well cancel the game. Its part of the package/environment. It woldn't be PNG football w/o them. I'm sure the district will not let us down.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
squaw said:
PNG Proud said:
Well, if worse comes to worse, can't parents, relatives, friends, etc., transport band and Indianette members to the out of town games???? I personally can't see us traveling without the whole "hoorah." Or we are willing as fans to donate for a student to travel. Any other ideas?

Nice thought, but the district has a strict policy that says that you can't transport your own kid (that participates in UIL events, i.e. band etc.) to out-of-town games. They MUST be transported by PNGISD, and back home by the same. The only exception is when we used to play at TJ or Lincoln, your parents could bring you home after the game, because the stadium was in Groves (or real close to it).

NDNThunder

That's not completely accurate, PNGProud. I've had kids in band since 1995 & we were always able to bring them home. We just had to go to their assigned bus & sign them out with the bus chaperone.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Yup, that's correct. I was thinking of students wanting to drive their own car. My mistake. Now that you say that, I remember my folks picking me up at the dome in the 70's

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
On Channel 11 News tonight........

Budget cuts could threaten high school football traditions

05:07 PM CDT on Friday, August 15, 2008

By Wendell Edwards / 11 News

HOUSTON -- Marching bands, cheerleaders, drill team -- they're all part of the experience at high school football games. But high gas prices and budget cuts could cut into the traditional halftime shows.

District budget cuts nearly sidelined Kingwood High’s Military Marching Band.

That news turned band practice into a battle cry.

“Moral support for the football team and it really gives them that boost of confidence having us backing them up,” band member Natalie Galegar said.

The cuts included the elimination of travel to away games for groups like the marching band, cheerleaders and drill teams.

“In all sincereity, it’s not a good thing," Humble ISD Superintendant Dr. Guy Sconzo admitted. "It’s not what we want to do at all. But we are at a time where there are no good answers.”

But the booster clubs did come up with an answer at two Kingwood High and another Humble ISD high school. Parents stepped up and agreed to pick up the tab for the travel cost.

“We are contributing toward travel cost. This will be shared with boosters, the drill team’s booster, their booster club as well," said Kingwood High band booster Jim Galegar.

”Otherwise, the kids would be sitting at home when they should be marching on the field," said band parent Lisa Cunningham.

Sconzo explained that the budget cuts stem from a complex state funding formula that doesn’t account for inflation.

School districts are using a 2005 income formula to pay 2008 prices.

“The only way to fix this long term is with a state solution," Sconzo said.

Meantime, the parents will have to come up with $6,000 for four away games -- and that only covers the band.

The money will pay the bus drivers and buy the gas to get to the games.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Too bad MB won't allow a Booster Club. Ya see, they could prove to be very useful at times like these!
Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite him in......

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
Too bad MB won't allow a Booster Club. Ya see, they could prove to be very useful at times like these!
Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite him in......

:huh:

PNG doesn't have a Booster Club??

Isn't that a decision that should be made by the the Admin/Board and not the football coach?? What is his reasoning??

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Little known fact that Nederland's athletic budget has been about twice that of PNG's for years. (Thanks to the state's Robin Hood BS...)

Throw in the additional money from booster clubs and Nederland athletics is living the good life.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Humble ISD pins hope on bus ads
Campaign could raise $1 million toward budget shortfall in district
By JENNIFER RADCLIFFE Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 21, 2008, 11:01PM

When Humble ISD students board school buses next week, they'll be climbing into big yellow vehicles sponsored by day care centers, hospitals and home builders.

The school district is the first in the region to roll out an advertising campaign on its buses to reduce a $17 million budget shortfall. The campaign could generate $1 million a year for the 34,000-student school system, officials said.

Pasadena and Pearland school officials said they may follow suit in coming months with bus advertisements, one of the many ways public schools are scrambling to compensate for state funding shortfalls.

"We really need to try to pursue any potential new revenue streams possible," said Humble Superintendent Guy Sconzo, adding that he also plans to recommend asking voters to approve a 13 cent property tax rate hike later this year.

If the new advertising campaign — which also includes selling space in the football stadium and on the district Web site — is successful, Sconzo said he will try to offset some of the $8.8 million in budget cuts Humble made this year. The district had to increase high school class size, for example, from 30 to 32 students.

No advertisements will be placed on a bus without district approval, said Sconzo, who has already rejected one company's ad that he didn't think sent an appropriate message to kids.

Others have done it
The northeast Harris County district has sold ads to about 10 companies. Each of Humble's 260 buses could display three ads — one on the left rear quarter panel and one above the windows on each side.

Humble is one of the few Texas districts to advertise on school buses.

An affluent district near Dallas made headlines a decade ago when it became one of the first Texas school systems to sell bus ads, prompting a state law limiting the size and location of such ads.

That school system, Grapevine-Colleyville, also signed a $1 million-plus contract in 1997 allowing Dr Pepper to advertise on rooftops of campuses near the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

Grapevine-Colleyville officials said Thursday that the district intends to use other advertising venues, such as selling ads on the scoreboard of the district's new football stadium.

Sconzo said he'd consider rooftop advertisements at his high schools near airports. Other forms of advertisements, including ads on the football field, may be out of the question, he said.

"It's not about trying to fill all the space we have. It really isn't," he said. "To me, it's drawing the line almost as we go."

Powerful promotion
Josh Golin, spokesman for the Massachusetts-based Campaign for a Commerical-Free Childhood, said it's inappropriate for school districts to bombard youngsters with advertisements.

"You're linking the product being advertised to schools," he said. "The advertisement becomes so much more powerful."

Cypress-Fairbanks resident Karen Miller, who has spoken out repeatedly about the Channel One station that broadcasts news and advertisements in classrooms in Humble and other districts across the nation, said students shouldn't be subject to school-hosted advertising.

"I do find it offensive that this is another captive-audience ploy," she said."The school districts are desperate. I put the fault back at the state level for giving tax relief and not funding school districts."

Janet Huberty, manager of the Humble-based firm that won the advertising campaign, said she agrees that the funding shortage pushed public schools to look for creative options.

"If the school district was flush with money, there wouldn't be a need to look into additional revenue streams. Unfortunately, that's not the case," she said.

"The benefits of increased revenue to the district outweigh the negatives."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5959138.html

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores