UIL Snapshot Day

Mr. Buddy Garrity

#TitanNation #TitanTempo Twitter: @MrBuddyGarrity
End of this month.

what's everyone's enrollment guesses?

Memorial: anywhere between 1700-1900.

Mr. Buddy Garrity

This is Carl Padilla projection for the cutoff numbers.

6a 2150+
5aD1 1780- 2149
5a D2 1150 - 1779
4a D1 745- 1149
4a D2 490- 744
3a D1 325-489
3a D2 225- 324
2a D1 160- 224
2a D2 105- 159

I wouldn't be surprised if the local 5A D1 district looks something like this since the UIL is nuts: Port Arthur Memorial, Galveston Ball, La Porte, Nederland*, Baytown Lee, Goose Creek Memorial, CE King and Texas City.

*If not Ned then Galena Park

Mr. Buddy Garrity

PNG Proud said:
I hope not! That would be insane!!!
im very interested in seeing all the area enrollment figures, Harvey affected a whole lot of ISDs. I hear Central and Ozen will be on the borderline for 4A D1 if Padilla cutoff number projections are on the money. We will be on the borderline for 5A D2.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Mr. Buddy Garrity said:
PNG Proud said:
im very interested in seeing all the area enrollment figures, Harvey affected a whole lot of ISDs. I hear Central and Ozen will be on the borderline for 4A D1 if Padilla cutoff number projections are on the money. We will be on the borderline for 5A D2.

Do you mean 5A D1 for Central? That is a pretty big drop considering they always go big when playoffs come in 5A.

Mr. Buddy Garrity

90NDN said:
Mr. Buddy Garrity said:
PNG Proud said:

Do you mean 5A D1 for Central? That is a pretty big drop considering they always go big when playoffs come in 5A.
Central enrollment as of now is around 1200 or so. So no D1 for them this realignment. Central enrollment was dropping even before Harvey.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Mr. Buddy Garrity said:
90NDN said:
Mr. Buddy Garrity said:
PNG Proud said:

Central enrollment as of now is around 1200 or so. So no D1 for them this realignment. Central enrollment was dropping even before Harvey.

Wow..that is crazy..where are they going? out of Beaumont completely?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Can Beaumont students choose which high school they want to attend? Is West Brook the favorite school?

Mr. Buddy Garrity

IndianFan said:
Can Beaumont students choose which high school they want to attend? Is West Brook the favorite school?
yessir and yessir. I think alot of parents are opting for private schools and HJ too. BISD is not smart enough to re-zone so every school is 5A. The politics of it is a headache. Sucks for the kids at Central and especially poor Ozen.

Mr. Buddy Garrity

90NDN said:
Mr. Buddy Garrity said:
90NDN said:
Mr. Buddy Garrity said:
PNG Proud said:

Wow..that is crazy..where are they going? out of Beaumont completely?
WB, HJ and private schools.

Mr. Buddy Garrity

Oh, I forgot, you can throw in Lumberton as another ISD some Beaumont parents are sending their kids as well after moving from BMT. Not specifically HS but MS and below.

BMTSoulja1

The population has slowely been moving toward the West End. Not as many kids in the Ozen and Central neighborhoods as it was like 10-15 years ago. Harvey didn't help.
But BG is right. Redraw those lines correctly and you'll have 3 5a schools. But it is about politics with that. No way they'll let lil Johnny attend classes at Ozen or Central. In Beaumont, you have an established pecking order or hierarchy. The wealthier folks tend to keep their kids at West Brook. The middle class / poor people have no choice, limited transportation so they'll send their kids to Ozen/Central. Now you have the poor/middle classes with the mindframe 'I'll get my kids out of the "hood" and get them better education because it's a misconception that you'll get better opportunities and better education @WB. And that the best teachers and administrators educate in the west end, which is wrong. There are great resources and teachers at Central/Ozen and they're many kids that flourish at Central and do great after graduating.

It's just that the riff raff at Central and Ozen seem to be way more spotlighted than at West Brook for some reason.

Hopefully things change for the better and parents can start seeing the big picture. Maybe the New school or the revamped Central can change that. I say that to say this. No way should Beaumont with its huge population have 1 6a school and 2 small 5a schools. Pass the vote and redraw those lines and stay transparent with the parents.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
BMTSoulja1 said:
The population has slowely been moving toward the West End. Not as many kids in the Ozen and Central neighborhoods as it was like 10-15 years ago. Harvey didn't help.
But BG is right. Redraw those lines correctly and you'll have 3 5a schools. But it is about politics with that. No way they'll let lil Johnny attend classes at Ozen or Central. In Beaumont, you have an established pecking order or hierarchy. The wealthier folks tend to keep their kids at West Brook. The middle class / poor people have no choice, limited transportation so they'll send their kids to Ozen/Central. Now you have the poor/middle classes with the mindframe 'I'll get my kids out of the "hood" and get them better education because it's a misconception that you'll get better opportunities and better education @WB. And that the best teachers and administrators educate in the west end, which is wrong. There are great resources and teachers at Central/Ozen and they're many kids that flourish at Central and do great after graduating.

It's just that the riff raff at Central and Ozen seem to be way more spotlighted than at West Brook for some reason.

Hopefully things change for the better and parents can start seeing the big picture. Maybe the New school or the revamped Central can change that. I say that to say this. No way should Beaumont with its huge population have 1 6a school and 2 small 5a schools. Pass the vote and redraw those lines and stay transparent with the parents.
Good post

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
All the Beaumont ISD cronyism in the past hasn't helped schools or kids either. Not only is it sad to see the educational impact, but also a shame to see the faltering football programs. The foundation that The Pro-football Capital of the World was built on isn't quite the same.

Those artificial hierarchies exist in every community and organization to some extent. It's one of the things humans do 'best' and all of us are subject to it.

BMTSoulja1

IndianFan said:
All the Beaumont ISD cronyism in the past hasn't helped schools or kids either. Not only is it sad to see the educational impact, but also a shame to see the faltering football programs. The foundation that The Pro-football Capital of the World was built on isn't quite the same.

Those artificial hierarchies exist in every community and organization to some extent. It's one of the things humans do 'best' and all of us are subject to it.
I agree. Maybe we can get back there.. we still push out great talent to the next level and some make it to the league. Just a lot of things that needs to align for everything to be on the same page. First thing, our kids need the or own campus. First thing first...

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores