What will it take to get a win over Nederland?

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
6 in a row is making it very hard to digest. :hook:

Seems like we were plagued with mistakes last night. What is it going to take to beat Neaderland's varsity football program???

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting question.

Many old school coaches would tell you that you learn to execute. That if you execute the other team can't stop you. That worked well for the 70's teams. Proof was how a small offensive line could utilize technique and tenacity to neutralize larger opponents.

But I don't know how that translates to today's competitors. Players today are much larger and stronger on average.

Newer coaches will tell you it doesn't matter who the opponent is, they are nameless and faceless. That being the hardest working team in the state will solve everything. One has to assume that means conditioning, strength and perfecting what you do.

But that isn't making the difference. The 2015 version of this game included one of the best QBs in PN-G history, and a stable of talented receivers and capable running backs. And a defense that has some solid talent.

I suspect that some other coaches across the tracks are taking an opposite approach and leverage the emotional aspect of the rivalry. I've heard allusions to them having a 'secret' approach.

There may be something to that because other than an experienced coaching staff that has been together for a long time, Nederland does not have superior talent or heart, or fans, or anything. But they do have a better preparation technique that works for them in this game.

Tough to say, PN-G has some good coaches and players, this should be a 50/50 proposition.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Problem is the community only cares if we beat Nederland. These kids are feeling the pressure every year and you could tell they played scared and tight. Let's finish the season strong and play one game at a time.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Only cares about one game? I think it's more than that, and Nederland community has similar expectations.

NDN06

100+ Posts
justafan said:
Problem is the community only cares if we beat Nederland. These kids are feeling the pressure every year and you could tell they played scared and tight. Let's finish the season strong and play one game at a time.

There is some truth to that. Some have even said they don't care if we made it to state, just as long as we beat Nederland. I'm curious, was that the mindset when MB was HC? MB only beat Nederland 5 times in his 15 years.

Of course the kids are feeling the pressure! It's a big game, but it becomes much bigger when folks in the community are calling for your coach's head if you lose. I think some people need to be reminded that this is HIGH SCHOOL football. These are KIDS playing a game they love, and they deserve our support. That was a huge comeback in the 4th qtr to tie up the game after a rough start, and I, personally, couldn't be more proud of them. Playing sick, playing hurt, missing starters, and they still made Ned win it in the last 4 seconds.

To answer the question: it will probably take the retirement of Larry Neumann. (Here's a secret- he isn't just beating the Indians.)

bark

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Only cares about one game? I think it's more than that, and Nederland community has similar expectations.
:stop:
It is more than 1 game. But it is, always has been THE game. Pressure is on always has been.

6 in a row, no playoff runs or great seasons, except for the first-different opinions as to why- season not much to get excited about.

Is it coaches, talent, expectations too high? I don't know.

Only coach I have know from Watson to Faircloth NOT TO get heat is Doug. Like Bum said, winning stops all 2nd guesses.

I know someone Knows in 7 years how many DISTRICT Titles?
In the day no District Champ, stay home.

Whom ever put the signs in BF yard needs to go to Confession. That is not acceptable, he is a good man, coach, husband and Father DOES not deserve that B.S.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Are you freaking kidding me????? Someone put a sign in his yard... Thats BS

bark

1,000+ Posts
prepballfan said:
Are you freaking kidding me????? Someone put a sign in his yard... Thats BS
Yep,
Like 4/5/6 for sale signs. Don't know how long they stayed. I saw them from the game to a get together on Nugent (street he lives on)

I promise he knows it's part of the deal BUT BUT!!!!! My heart goes out to his kids who are young.

Wrong

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts
I defended The Chief on that "other" board and called out a fellow Indian fan on his constant pessimistic comments on the team and coach. Even in winning, seems like this team is getting criticized.
I was told that my attitude was exactly what PNG DOESN'T need.
I also asked the fan if he had shared his thoughts about coach and team on THIS board? No answer on that one.

Time for fans to get behind this team and coaches. They deserve community support. 3 tough games in front of us. Nederland is behind us. Whatever is going to happen in the off season, shouldn't be the focus right now.

NDN06

100+ Posts
bark said:
IndianFan said:
It is more than 1 game. But it is, always has been THE game. Pressure is on always has been.

6 in a row, no playoff runs or great seasons, except for the first-different opinions as to why- season not much to get excited about.

Only coach I have know from Watson to Faircloth NOT TO get heat is Doug. Like Bum said, winning stops all 2nd guesses.

Whom ever put the signs in BF yard needs to go to Confession. That is not acceptable, he is a good man, coach, husband and Father DOES not deserve that B.S.

The sad part is, I'm having a hard time convincing myself that 'it had to be kids'

Go ahead and run him off.... Who in their right mind would want to come coach here? That's just downright embarrassing. All I have to say is be careful what you wish for. Different doesn't equal better.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:

Heard it from many sitting around us!! I don't always agree with his coaching philosophy, but he has built a good program with average talent.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
NDN06 said:
bark said:
IndianFan said:

The sad part is, I'm having a hard time convincing myself that 'it had to be kids'

Go ahead and run him off.... Who in their right mind would want to come coach here? That's just downright embarrassing. All I have to say is be careful what you wish for. Different doesn't equal better.

Agreed, whomever done this is very juvenile!!! People have to understand we don't have the state talent year in year out like the 70's!!!

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts
I'm hearing people complain about the band and cheerleaders now. SMH. I sit next to the band, and they ROCK! No you cant't hear them in general admission on the OTHER side. They're instruments are pointed toward the field.

NDN06

100+ Posts
MOM2INDIANS said:
I'm hearing people complain about the band and cheerleaders now. SMH. I sit next to the band, and they ROCK! No you cant't hear them in general admission on the OTHER side. They're instruments are pointed toward the field.

What is the complaint about the band and cheerleaders?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
You won't find many coaches with the pedigree that Faircloth has that would come to PN-G. He has worked wonders for the offensive side of the ball. There was a time that the opinion was that PN-G players were not capable of running any offense other than ground and pound with an occasional pass. The previous coach tried to go to an offense like this and failed. [/size]That game was there for the taking. If a few more positive plays had been made, none of this discussion would even be happening.

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts
NDN06 said:
MOM2INDIANS said:

Not playing enough and not loud enough. Cheerleaders watching the game and not cheering and never coming to general admission. This was all on facebook. It was defended by fans. The coach had asked the band not to play while we were on offense.
IMO the band is playing a lot more this year and they're always loud.

NDN06

100+ Posts
MOM2INDIANS said:
NDN06 said:
MOM2INDIANS said:

Not playing enough and not loud enough. Cheerleaders watching the game and not cheering and never coming to general admission. This was all on facebook. It was defended by fans. The coach had asked the band not to play while we were on offense.
IMO the band is playing a lot more this year and they're always loud.
The band is the biggest it's probably ever been (252 students), and probably the loudest it's ever been (continuing to play quality tunes). And who actually notices where the cheerleaders are??? I don't say that to be rude, but I go to watch the game. I yell when I want, and I cheer when I want. I'm not looking for a cheerleader to tell me when or how. Some people are NEVER satisfied and will find anything they can to gripe about. That must be a VERY miserable life.

Torino

500+ Posts
justafan said:
IndianFan said:

Heard it from many sitting around us!! I don't always agree with his coaching philosophy, but he has built a good program with average talent.
True about average talent. Say what you want about our good players, but if I remember correctly we haven't had a Division I football player since Jeremy Davis graduated in 2002.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
With all the emotion involved with the rivalry, and the eternal emotional investment of PN-G fans and alumnus, people go extreme with their reactions to losing to Nederland.

Reality is that things are not as bad, or as good during other times as people want to believe.

All fan bases go through this at all levels. UT and A&M fans, despite all their history and many positives, are ready to give up on everyone. UT fans aren't even attending games.

There are three games left, everyone should look for positives because this team can make a good playoff run. They just need to keep improving and cut out the mistakes.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores