What's it like to play against an All-American?

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
I made a highlight film of Josh Wright from last year. I have sent it to YouTube also, but it is not visible yet. Below is the link to the higher resolution videos. I will post the YouTube copy as soon as it is up.

http://gallery.mac.com/cckmso/100932

http://www.youtube.com/v/zQObqXrCh54

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
That was great work 93 he should make things exciting this season

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
There have been at least 3 high all-americans that played for PNG.

http://pngindians.com/allstate.html

Ever heard of Jeff 'The Jet' Bergeron? ;D Bergeron gained several thousand yards while wearing the purple and white and is one of the greatest backs in the history of this area. If Wright can perform at such a level the Indians will have a great rushing attack.

indian20106

well with enough support and enough help from his giant offensive line i dont see any problem. because you gotta know that when teams play another team that has any all american at any position their is always an intimidation factor

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Not attempting to minimize any type of recognition but the results on the field are what determine greatness and the record is 0-0 right now. No opposing team is going to care about preseason honors other than seeing that as a motivation and target. Here's to hoping that the entire team comes out with a burning fire to win each game in 2008. It takes all 11 to achieve greatness.

Enough cliches and common sense... congrats to Josh Wright on the early recognition. And good luck to the entire team in 2008.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
I hesitated to make something about one player. In the end though, its not often that we have an All-American. I decided to go for it.

badndn

500+ Posts
You guys do realize that he was asked to play on the All-Star team that was picked by a recruiting service based on his workouot at a camp not based on his stats or accomplishments to date. He is not an All-American (yet ;D). I do expect great things from him this year and think it is an honor that he received the invite, but to label him as an AA makes us (Indian Nation) look silly.

The Jet was an AA as voted on after the season based on his accomplishments on the field.

akifan94

500+ Posts
I think the point is that typically to reach "All-American" status one has to be named to the Parade All American Team. Max runs a recruiting service and invites players to participate in his All American Bowl football game. There are several including the US Army All American Game and ESPN's Under Armour game as well as numerous All-Star games. It is still a big deal and great that Josh is garnering the attention. There are several big name recruits that will participate in the game. Josh did a great job eating up yards last year but I hope to see him take more of the long runs the distance this year with his speed. Congrats to Josh for working hard and putting his name on the recruiting scene.

akifan94

500+ Posts
Here is a little info.....

Max Emfinger runs the National Bluechips High School Football Recruiting Service, and he is in his 28th recruiting season. His recruiting service was founded in 1980, and Emfinger has been evaluating, rating and ranking high school and junior college football players for more than 31 years. Emfinger's was the first recruiting service in the late '80s to provide 1-900 number for fans to get the latest recruiting information. In the mid-'90s, Emfinger was one of the first to put his recruiting service on the Internet.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
akifan94 said:
I think the point is that typically to reach "All-American" status one has to be named to the Parade All American Team. Max runs a recruiting service and invites players to participate in his All American Bowl football game. There are several including the US Army All American Game and ESPN's Under Armour game as well as numerous All-Star games. It is still a big deal and great that Josh is garnering the attention. There are several big name recruits that will participate in the game. Josh did a great job eating up yards last year but I hope to see him take more of the long runs the distance this year with his speed. Congrats to Josh for working hard and putting his name on the recruiting scene.

I second that. Gordon LaBoeuf and Jeff Bergeron were selected as high school all-american running backs based on huge seasons. LaBoeuf led a powerful running attack that resulted in two state championships in the mid 1950s. Bergeron, like Joe Washington Jr. who was blazing up and down the field during the same era, is a legend that few will ever match.

Kudos to Josh Wright for being recognized. He should be proud of that recognition, as are all Indian fans, but will hopefully approach the season with humility and determination to build on that preseason reputation. Wright is in the mold of recent great RBs Gholke and Josh Cook. Both powerful and fast.
Wright has the potential to exceed them both and become a player, like Bergeron and LaBoeuf, that people will talk about for generations. Looking forward to some 200 yard games from Wright. ;D

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Here is a trivia question related to this thread...

Can anyone name another running back (we all know this name) that was on the same Parade AA Team as "The Jet"?

Tomahawk Chop

PNG NDN Fan said:
Here is a trivia question related to this thread...

Can anyone name another running back (we all know this name) that was on the same Parade AA Team as "The Jet"?
[/quote

How about a future Dallas Cowboy named Tony Dorsett.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores