Who Remembers This?

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
I was there with a couple of my friends during the summer after my freshman year at Texas Tech. The backyard was packed. One of us made a silly joke about posing as a screen door repair company. That didn't go over well with some people near us. If looks could kill ....

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I was a young kid at the time and couldn’t see the screen door but do remember that all the grass in the back yard had been trampled down to the bare dirt. And people sitting up in a tree to improve their view. Amazing memories of a very unique event.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Speaking of "Who Remembers This" ... anyone remember when the PA Lincoln player was running all out for a TD pass on a go route and he hit the goal post and broke his leg? It was before padding on the goal posts. It was the old " H " shaped goal posts. I'm not bringing it up to be funny or to make light of the collision. The young man from Lincoln suffered a serious injury. He broke his leg and had to be carted off in an ambulance. I think one or two PN-G players in coverage may have had some injuries, too, but to a much lesser degree. It may have been in the late 70s or early 80s. It was a terrible injury.

Another terrible injury occurred when PN-G hosted French in the mid-eighties and the Buffs crushed the PN-G QB and broke his leg. It was another terrible and ugly injury. The PN-G QB required surgery on multiple breaks in his leg. I want to say it was during 1984 when French made a run to the state championship game and tied Odessa Permian for the title. I think French barely escaped The Reservation with a W. I want to say PN-G had a shot to win the game late in the 4th Q even after the starting QB suffered his terrible injury. I think the Indians circled the wagons and had a rally to almost win the game.

Any other injury games stand out? It is odd that no sports, COVID-19, and thinking back on the hundreds of PN-G games that I have seen...I'm thinking about injury games.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I do not recall the Lincoln game incident. Football can be brutal. The injury that stands out to me was in a junior high game against Vidor. Myself and another guy nailed the QB in the backfield. Complete compound fracture of his lower leg, tibia and fibula. Most gruesome break I’ve ever seen.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I was at the French-Permian game, obviously rooting for French. They had a heck of a team that year. BTW, if you recall, the PNG-French bi-district game was also very close in 75 when we won state. Closest game of the entire playoffs (6-2).

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
French, Forest Park, Beaumont High (the “royal purples” lol), South Park (the “greenies” lol- what’s with the “color” names?), Hebert, Charlton Pollard, Kelly...am I missing any?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
French, Forest Park, Beaumont High (the “royal purples” lol), South Park (the “greenies” lol- what’s with the “color” names?), Hebert, Charlton Pollard, Kelly...am I missing any?
That covers the ones I remember before consolidation started. (BC-P, etc. etc)

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I remember B-CP...green and gold...they were the Cougars. A friend of mine graduated from there. She passed away, God bless her soul and may she rest in eternal peace, but she never let me forget that she was a proud B-CP Cougar. She told me her SOPH and JR years PN-G crushed B-CP, but her SR year in 1979, the Cougars tied the Indians 0-0 at The Reservation. We had several conversations where she mention her senior class tying the mighty PN-G Indians.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores