Willie Ray Smith Award

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
Since Dre Dunbar and Caleb Harmon made the all state team, I would love to see one or both of them nominated for the Willie Ray Smith Award. It would be awesome to have one of them win this prestigious award.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
My prediction is Harmon for offense and I can't see anyone else in this district beating him out of it. Who do you think should win for defense?

badndn

500+ Posts
Harmon will get nominated and will be one of the finalists, but LeFredrick Ford will win the award. He put up unreal numbers and led K'Ville to a second straight State Tittle game. Collin Garret from WB will win Defensive award. Both are Juniors.

Offensive Finalists:
Sr. - Caleb Harmon RB PNG 1832 yds 6.15 ypc 20 tds (Team 11-1)
Jr. - Bruce Reyes QB WB 2593 pass yds 18 tds 9 ints / 569 rush yds 7 tds (Team 9-4)
Jr. - LeFredrick Ford RB Kirbyville 2567 rush yds 10.07 ypc 35 tds / 158 rec yds 4 tds (Team 12-3)

Defensive Finalists:
Sr. - Jacoby Hale LB Central 20-4A Defensive MVP
Jr. - Collin Garrett LB WB 21-5A Defensive MVP
Sr. - Earl Hines LB PAM 21-5A 1st Team

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
If Ford is eligible for nomination I agree he'll probably be the offensive choice. Is Kirbyville considered to be part of 'SE Texas'?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Ignore my last question. Kirbyville players were in the list of finalists last season. So Ford would be the clear-cut favorite in '09.

I think of Kirbyville as being in East Texas more than SE Texas.

badndn

500+ Posts
I am pretty sure the Willy Ray Smith award goes north to Jasper/Newton and West to Winnie, but since Jasper is now in the district up north, they may be excluded.

While I expect Ford to win the award, and think he probably deserves it, I would preface that he would not put up those numbers in 4A. I would however expect that he would still have put up really good numbers in 4A, just not 10 ypc and 2500 yrds. He is a tremendous back.

Tigerryder

Both Harmon and Dunbar are "finalist" and will be in Beaumont Thursday night to see who wins the Smith Award.
Whether or not either one of them wins the award, just making it as a finalist is such a great honor.

What a great job the coaches :shout: did with these young men. Just think what kind of team PNG fielded last year with pretty much the same guys. And after the 2009 season's end look at the all district players, all state players, and now Smith award finalist fielded by PNG!

The future looks good in Coach Fairclothe's and his staff's hands. :clap: :clap: :clap:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Proud of both. And those players represent the entire team and program which we are equally proud of. :thumbsup:

NDN06

100+ Posts
So... the winners will finally be announced tomorrow! I would assume it will be on the news, but I don't know for sure. Does anyone know where/ when we can all find out who wins?

Congrats again Caleb & Dre on the being nominated!

badndn

500+ Posts
NDN06 said:
So... the winners will finally be announced tomorrow! I would assume it will be on the news, but I don't know for sure. Does anyone know where/ when we can all find out who wins?

Congrats again Caleb & Dre on the being nominated!
Channel 6 at 10 or SETXSports will post it as soon as announced.

NDN06

100+ Posts
(per 'that other site') The winners were announced as follows:

Offense: Jeremy Johnson- Silsbee QB
Defense: Jacolby Hale- Central LB

Congrats to these young men!

OldEagle

500+ Posts
While I was pulling for our two guys, I can't argue about these two winning. All the finalists had great seasons and it was an honor to be in the running!

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
NDN06 said:

If we can keep Coach Faircloth any amount of time, you have to know that "PN-G QB" will be listed there as a winner often! I cant remember a year when so many PN-G kids were nominated. Is that a record for us?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNG Proud said:
The year that Long won it, was there any "D" players from PNG?
Seems likely. There were some really good ones in 2000. Chris Gohlke, Trayce Boudoin, Shawn Lang, Cody Clark, etc. Lang and Boudoin were all-state.

bandkid

Staff member
pngfan93 said:
NDN06 said:

If we can keep Coach Faircloth any amount of time, you have to know that "PN-G QB" will be listed there as a winner often! I cant remember a year when so many PN-G kids were nominated. Is that a record for us?

IndianFan said:
PNG Proud said:
The year that Long won it, was there any "D" players from PNG?
Seems likely. There were some really good ones in 2000. Chris Gohlke, Trayce Boudoin, Shawn Lang, Cody Clark, etc. Lang and Boudoin were all-state.

I think I read in the Pow-Wow that this is the first time PN-G has had more than one nominee for the Willie Ray Smith Award in a single year. I'm not sure, though.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores