2023 Rushing Attack

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I have Isaiah Nguyen with an unofficial 11 game total of 1,412 yards on 184 carries and 14 TDs. That's a 7.7 yard per carry average. When you consider that he didn't have a carry against Galena Park and only 4 carries against Santa Fe, that's even more incredible. He's well within top 10 all-time in rushing yards gained in a season at PN-G.

I don't have complete stats for Adams, Chatagnier or the other backs.

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
I just noticed that the complete stats for every game (offense, defense and special teams) have been entered on MaxPreps. Go to Schedule .-> Click on the game score -> Box Score. Says the stats are coming from Hudl.

Maybe they've been there all year, but I didn't see them until now.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
They haven't been there for most of the year. Some of those numbers look unusual. I would question the source and validity until otherwise verified by PNG staff.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The unofficial rushing stats taken from published media and fan reporting has Isaiah Nguyen at approximately 1,660 yards rushing this season. Maxpreps shows him at 1,735 yards.

The all-time PN-G record of 2,150 yards in a season was set by Gordon LeBoeuf in 1955. That was over only 13 games and would have been much greater if he could have played 16 games in 1955.

Nothing can ever take away from LeBoeuf's accomplishment and place in PN-G football history. But no doubt, Nguyen is carving his own place in history.

With at least one game to go, and potentially two more after that, Nguyen is within 415 to 490 yards of breaking the season record as well as moving into the top 5 all-time career rushing at PN-G. He still has to pass Chase Bertrand, Caleb Harmon and Koby Trahan before he can even approach LeBoeuf's season record, but it's not impossible to do if he has 3 games to play.

Ultimately this doesn't matter and should not be a team focus. But maybe it can help motivate Nguyen to run with even more intensity. He's chasing a state championship and a possible all-time record, and he is a terrific team player who plays hard every game even through pain and injuries.

“Isaiah is who he is, and we know what he is. He’s as steady a guy as I’ve seen playing running back at the high school level. He’s consistent, he’s tough, he takes care of the football and does all the little things.”
-- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

1701379468236.png

Last edited:

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Throw in Chatagnier's 1,000+ yards and you have a PN-G rushing attack that hasn't been seen at The Reservation since #32 and #44 (Shipley and Eicher) carried PN-G to the state championship game in 1977. Just in case anyone cares, that was 46 years ago! The 2023 PN-G Indians are making their mark...and marching behind one of the state's best OLs towards AT&T! First things, first. Focus on Huntsville at NRG. Go Indians!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Just another storyline among many in this amazing season. Every member of the team is making their own history. And no rushing record is possible without the players making the blocks.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
And correct me if I'm wrong, but Isaiah didn't even play in the Galena Park game.
Yes. And he may have missed the Nederland game last year. His stat line is 1 carry for 1 yard in 2022 against Santa Fe and Nederland. He was dealing with an ankle or knee injury. So he has only really played in 26 games over his career, and sat out a lot of second halves.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Maxpreps shows that Nguyen had 100 yards on 25 carries against Huntsville. That puts him at 1,835 for the season. If that's correct, he needs 316 yards to surpass LeBoeuf. This should not be a focus of the remaining games this season, but it is an interesting fact. The primary goal is 2 more wins.

Last year he had 250+ against LH. ,

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
But this does point out another reason why this is a special season. As a unit the offense is standing out as a force with the running attack being especially potent. But this is also a balanced offense that can strike anywhere.

bandkid

Staff member
But this does point out another reason why this is a special season. As a unit the offense is standing out as a force with the running attack being especially potent. But this is also a balanced offense that can strike anywhere.
I had several lawyer buddies from Houston with me at the Leander Rouse and Huntsville games. Remarks were made about the impressive offensive balance.

ABadndn

Interesting to see that three of the top 4 rushing seasons were in a BF offense that most thought was pass happy. Those teams were very much 50/50. If only they had an emphasis on the other side of the ball!

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Interesting to see that three of the top 4 rushing seasons were in a BF offense that most thought was pass happy. Those teams were very much 50/50. If only they had an emphasis on the other side of the ball!

We would have won multiple state championships if we had a defense anywhere close to what we have now. Quite possibly including every one of the RJ years.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores