Texas Message Boards

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I have been a Texas Longhorn football fan since the 60s. As a kid I had the pleasure of sitting in Rice Stadium with my dad and watching the 1970 National Championship team coached by Darryl Royal and featuring locals Steve Worster ( Bridge City) and Cotton Speyer (TJ) on offense. I follow team details even more closely with two former PNG players on that team.

Anyone interested in following RJ and Jaylen Garth at Texas, here’s a tip.

At least of a couple of ‘inside’ writers on a well know Texas fan site make every attempt to not mention RJ much. They like to focus on shiny, 5-star objects and new recruit potential more than seasoned players. Some like RJ who has proven he needs to be on the field for a Lao of snaps. I’m not going to mention the site because I don’t want to give them any recognition.

BurntOrangeNation.com is one of the better sites who do ‘report’ fairly. Based on reports there, RJ is solidly in the playing mix. Jaylen is getting some practice reps as he is recovered from his knee injury. He has a bright future there as a big man with agility.

Here’s an excerpt from a recent opinion article quoting the new head coach Steve Sarkisian.

With the 2021 Longhorns, don’t expect to see a solo workhorse in the new system. On multiple occasions, Sarkisian has praised the talent and work ethic of both Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson.

“We’re in a unique situation. Bijan, coming off of the year he had last year is a really good football player,” Sarkisian said. “Another guy who falls into that category is Roschon. He’s worked really hard in the weight room, he’s practicing really hard, and he went out and had a good day today.”

Schematically, Sarkisian has already proven his willingness to spread the carries around between running backs, even when he has a back he could rely on every down.”

Good recognition of RJ. The UT spring game is this Saturday on LHN. Good luck to Roschon Johnson and Jaylen Garth!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Roschon Johnson will be on the field. He has too much talent and competitive spirit to stand on the sidelines. I will go to my grave thinking that UT should have kept him in the QB room. I would want the ball in his hands on every snap...he can run and throw...he makes good decisions with the football...and he is a winner. Here's to him having a great ---and injury free--- season in 2021.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores