20-5A 2014-2016

badndn

500+ Posts
So the new 5A numbers are out and LCM will be 4A Division I.

Looks like 20-5A will look something like this:

PNG
Ned
Central
Vidor
Ozen
Lumberton
Dayton??
Barbers Hill??

Maybe Livingston instead of BH? Some think Livingston will end up in 18-5A with Hunstville, Willis group, but we all thought that would happen two years ago also and it didn't.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I like it...with the talent we have coming back and through the system during the next 3 or 4 years, I like any district we play in...we will control our own destiny.

Hard to believe that since the 1980s-1990s, PN-G has dropped from approx. 1600+ students down to 1390. Regardless, we will roll with what we have and go collect some district champion hardware.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
UIL shakes up district classifications, affects local rivalries
By Avi Zaleon
Updated 10:55 pm, Monday, December 2, 2013

Next season the face of UIL classifications will change drastically. 6-man football will now be called 1A, so every classification gets a boost up. 3A becomes 4A, 5A becomes 6A and so on. Another notable difference is that the new 4A (old 3A) is split up into Division I and II. The numbers below list local schools as paired with their new classification.

LC-M is now too small to be with the rest of old 20-4A and is now in the same grouping with Silsbee and Bridge City. Those two schools, which used to be in 21-3A, are now too big to be with the rest of that district. This will break up district rivalries like West Orange-Stark/Silsbee and Orangefield/Bridge City.

Buna is bumped down to the old 3A (now called 4A).

For LC-M and Buna, this change affects all sports because they are moving to a different class. For the other schools, it only affects football because they are moving to a different division and football is the only sport split up by division. Silsbee, Bridge City and Jasper are moving to the new 4A-Division I and can still play familiar opponents like H-J and H-F in district play if that's how they are sorted for redistricting on Feb. 3 in all non-football activities.

Orangefield coach Josh Smalley said he has decided to end the Bayou Bowl game between the two teams for at least next season.

"(Bridge City coach Cris Stump) called and asked if we wanted to play next year and I respectfully declined," Smalley said. "It has nothing to do with ending the rivalry -I don't want to be the guy that does that. It has to do with we had an altercation on the field this year that wasn't very pretty. So we felt like it would be best to let (the rivalry game) go for a little bit and see what happens. I know some people are going to be upset and I'm going to take some shots for it, but I felt like we had to do what's best for our district and kids and go in another direction."

WO-S coach Cornel Thompson said non-district games against both Silsbee and Jasper are tenatively on his team's schedule for next season.

Newton is also too small to stay with the rest of its old district (East Chambers, Kountze, etc.)

The UIL will release the new districts in February. These changes are good for the next two seasons (2014-15, 2015-16).

New conferences (school names are followed by enrollment numbers)

6A

PAM 2110 (made cut by 10 students)

West Brook 2366

5A

Central 1688

Vidor 1353

PN-G 1390

Ozen 1163

Lumberton 1109

Livingston 1104

(Nederland number unreoported but will be in 5A)

4A-Division I

LC-M 1043

Silsbee 781

Bridge City 759

Jasper 686 (smallest possible enrollment without dipping into D2)

4A Division II

H-J 605

WO-S 594

H-F 548

Orangefield 536

3A Division I

Buna 413

Kirbyville 397

East Chambers 383

Warren 371

Kountze 351

Woodville 347

Hardin 338

Anahuac 331

3A Division II

Newton 296

Deweyville 232

2A Division I

West Sabine 202

2A Division II

Evadale 137

Sabine Pass (number not reported)

Here are the football cutoff numbers:

6A: 2100&

5A: 1060 – 2099

4A D1: 686 – 1059

4A D2: 465 – 685

3A D1: 315 – 464

3A D2: 220 – 314

2A D1: 158 – 219

2A D2: 105 – 157

1A D1: 55 – 104.9

1A D2: 54 – below

ALL NON-FOOTBALL SPORTS

PAM 2110…6A

West Brook 2366…6A

PN-G 1390…5A

Central 1688…5A

Ozen 1163…5A

Lumberton 1109…5A

Vidor 1353…5A

Livingston 1104…5A

LC-M 1043…4A

Silsbee 781…4A

Bridge City 759…4A

H-J 605…4A

WO-S 594…4A

H-F 548…4A

Orangefield 536…4A

Buna 413…3A

Kirbyville 397…3A

East Chambers 383…3A

Warren 371…3A

Kountze 351…3A

Woodville 347…3A

Hardin 338…3A

Anahuac 331…3A

Newton 296…3A

West Sabine 202…2A

Evadale…137 2A

The cutoff numbers for all other sports are as follows

6A 2100 and above

5A 1060-2099

4A 465-1059

3A 220-464

2A 105-219

1A 104 and below

(school enrollment numbers come courtesy of theoldcoach.rivals.com)

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/UIL-shakes-up-district-classifications-affects-5028066.php#photo-5540006

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
"PN-G turned in an enrollment of 1,390 while Nederland turned in 1,616."

Could that be a typo?

December 3, 2013
Local coaches play realignment waiting game

Gabriel Pruett The Port Arthur News

PORT ARTHUR — The UIL recently announced cutoff numbers for this February’s realignment which will include a newly formed Class 6A.

The current Class 4A will be called Class 5A and so on down to Six Man which will be named Class 1A. Class 4A will also include two divisions like the ones used currently in classes 2A and below.

Schools with enrollments of 2,100 or more will be placed in Class 6A. Port Arthur Memorial reported to the UIL in early November it has an enrollment of 2,110. Eleven students less and the Titans would like have been in 5A, and in a district with Nederland and Port Neches-Groves.

“I am very interested now to see which district the UIL puts us in,” Memorial coach Kenny Harrison said. “I hope we are fortunate enough to where they put us in a district where the numbers are comparable to our numbers. Teams like North Shore can double our numbers while Baytown Sterling, Channelview, West Brook and several Pasadena schools are closer to the numbers we turned in. It will be interesting.”

Harrison said he has not solidified any non-district games for the upcoming two football seasons.

“That is mainly because it is hard to do when you are not sure if you will be in a six-team district or an eight-team district,” Harrison said. He added there are two local teams his Titans would be interested in playing, if the schedules were to work out right for all sides.

“We would play Nederland and PN-G,” Harrison said. “It only works if the schedules match up.”

Even though the Titans will be in Class 6A, the numbers between Memorial and Nederland and Port Neches-Groves are not far from each other. PN-G turned in an enrollment of 1,390 while Nederland turned in 1,616.

“I’ll definitely be interested in playing both those schools,” Harrison said.

Nederland and Port Neches-Groves will both be in Class 5A. Class 5A will house schools with enrollments of 1,060-2,099.

PN-G Athletic Director Brandon Faircloth said the Indians only try to control what they can during a realignment year.

“I wish I could predict things because that talent would be worth a lot of money,” Faircloth said. “I really enjoy this time of year and the drama it brings in. Every year over the last several it has been thought Livingston would move out just because of geography. Schools like Dayton and Barbers Hill are always a possibility to come into our district. We know our gang of schools like Beaumont Central, Ozen, Nederland and Vidor will always be together.

“What I can control now is our schedule. We start work on that earlier during realignment years. I can guarantee we will play West Orange-Stark and Goose Creek Memorial next year. We need a Week Zero game. There are a lot of reasons to play a team like the Mustangs. They prepare you for District 20-4A. Last year we had a lot of close games in which we won and playing West Orange-Stark had a lot to do with that.”

Nederland Athletic Director Larry Neumann said if Little Cypress-Mauriceville does not wind up in Class 5A it could lead the UIL to making another move, one that takes Livingston out of 20-4A.

“You never know the results until February’s realignment day,” Neumann said. “The logical, uneducated guess I have heard the most from the few people I have talked to is Livingston moving out of our district and Barbers Hill and Dayton are sliding in. You can’t know for sure until you get that sheet from the UIL.”

Neumann said the Bulldogs have not been able to place any teams on their tentative schedule for the 2014-2015 seasons.

“My phone is definitely not ringing off the hook,” Neumann said. “Sometimes your reputation precedes you and I am not saying we will be some machine next year but we have had some success in the recent past. I expect to fill out a schedule but with who I don’t know yet. There a lot of coaches in the same boat right now.”

The UIL will announce district-by-district classification in on Feb. 3, 2014.

bandkid

Staff member
IndianFan said:
"PN-G turned in an enrollment of 1,390 while Nederland turned in 1,616."

Could that be a typo?

Declining property values and the rise of the apartment complex.

To be fair, there's also been a lot of subdivision development in Beauxart Gardens, but I bet that's not where the bulk of those students are coming from. Most new houses contain young families with young kids, not high school students.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I do not live in Port Neches or Groves, but a friend of mine from PN-G HS who still lives in Port Neches tells me that students who used to attend Port Arthur Memorial are finding their way to Nederland in record numbers. Perhaps BandKid's comment about declining property valves and apartments in NISD is true. I hope the city leaders and residents of Port Neches and Groves keep their communities strong, continue to be single-family home-based neighborhoods/cities, continue to maintain infrastructure, continue to maintain property valves, and never ever allow apartment complexs or trailer parks to be developed in PN-GISD. Port Neches and Groves should be a place where families can continue to invest in homes, neighborhoods, and our great ISD.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
Bamakid, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the city counsel vote to not allow any more apartments to be built in PN? The only problem is that apartments are still going up on PA, but PNGISD school district.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Port Arthur seems to desire to, or has already shifted it's center to the Mid-County area. The new PA high school, and practically every new business in the past several years has been built on the fringes of Nederland. PA benefits from the tax income on the backs of PN, Groves and Nederland customers. And of course the population center has probably shifted along with it.

Does NISD include much of the area between 73 and 365?

bandkid

Staff member
pngmom4 said:
Bamakid, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the city counsel vote to not allow any more apartments to be built in PN? The only problem is that apartments are still going up on PA, but PNGISD school district.

I believe so. Seems like they did that my senior year of high school. But I honestly can't remember.

IndianFan said:
Does NISD include much of the area between 73 and 365?

It's a little hard to see, but here's the district map.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I'm just fine without no more apartment complexes. NED can have all the HUD housing they want. That's not good for property values, even though it might help with W v. L ratio in sports. Not good for overall scores in grades either.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
I agree with the shift movement in PA population. I live in Groves. I have seen numerous families move into Groves from the PA area. I have talked to a few that moved onto my street. 2 Younger families though. Nice folks who wanted their kids out of the PA school system. Some of the other people moving in are not, I guess to say, the most desirable to have around. Loud music all day and night, vehicles in and out of the drive way, arguing in the middle of the yard etc.... We, meaning my neighbors and I, have called GPD numerous times about the problems. (They moved into rent houses). The other thing is that they think our street is a raceway. I have found myself outside in the yard working numerous times when all of a sudden a car load of people will slow down and stare, especially if my garage door is open. I'm not a hater, but it does make someone more suspicious of their neighbors when you have problems caused or someone/people make you and your family uncomfortable.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I had that happen to me once. A questionable looking character slowly driving in our cul-de-sac, in the back of a subdivision that he probably did not live in. I walked out and stared back at the guy. He had the audacity to circle back and ask me if I "had a problem". My response was just to ask why he was staring into my garage. After a short stare down he drove off. Didn't have a pencil and paper but I made the motions of writing down his license plate as I memorized it. I could see he was watching in his rear view mirror. :laugh: :guns:

We are living in strange, upside down times.

TexasTech84

pngfan66 said:
I agree with the shift movement in PA population. I live in Groves. I have seen numerous families move into Groves from the PA area. I have talked to a few that moved onto my street. 2 Younger families though. Nice folks who wanted their kids out of the PA school system. Some of the other people moving in are not, I guess to say, the most desirable to have around. Loud music all day and night, vehicles in and out of the drive way, arguing in the middle of the yard etc.... We, meaning my neighbors and I, have called GPD numerous times about the problems. (They moved into rent houses). The other thing is that they think our street is a raceway. I have found myself outside in the yard working numerous times when all of a sudden a car load of people will slow down and stare, especially if my garage door is open. I'm not a hater, but it does make someone more suspicious of their neighbors when you have problems caused or someone/people make you and your family uncomfortable.

I agree with you Pngfan66, I have a couple from PA that move to my area, and yes they are nice people, trying to give there kids a better education, But the sad part is that the same people they are trying to get away from , I ll call it bad element end up moving in later on with them, Because they are family and the same destruction starts all over again, now it's not in PA, It's now in PN and Groves. We as citizens should get with our city leaders and have a ZERO tolerance for this type of people that have no regards for anyone or anything, They can go back to where they came from. Like I said I don't have a problem for anyone trying to better themselves, But some will never will. sad but true.

bandkid

Staff member
The best way to keep problem families out is to keep property values up. Responsible people who want the best for their children will make the sacrifices necessary to live in a community that invests in its schools the way PN-G does. Problem families won't. Nederland's property values continue to decline in large part because of the poor condition of their schools and the push for multi-unit housing. As a result, Nederland is soaking up the problems of Port Arthur like a sponge. I spotted a gang tag on the stop sign at the corner of 27th and Canal in Nederland this summer. I would have never thought it would penetrate that deep into Nederland when I was in high school.

Replace the elementaries, maintain a strong dedication to single-family homes and offer efficient, effective city services, and Port Neches and Groves will be fine. At the risk of sparking the old Port Neches vs. Groves debate, I think Port Neches is doing a good job of that. We've got a new city hall, we have a new fire station in the works, we finally have some development going on at the riverfront, Nall, Merriman and Port Neches Avenue have all been repaved in the last few years, and we have a healthy mix of new development as well as replacement of older homes in some old neighborhoods. Groves has some catching up to do (I say that as a former Groves resident). I don't know anyone who lives in Groves that hasn't complained about the condition of several of their roadways, in particular streets like 32nd, Roosevelt and Taft. There's also not as much new development going on in Groves. It might be a good idea for the community leaders in Groves to look into ways to spur new subdivision development.

badndn

500+ Posts
New Groves City Hall being constructed as I write...Land available for new development in Groves via the golf course...still not sure what the plans are there, but would be great for new nice housing subdivision. Outside of that there is not much available land to begin a subdivision.

bandkid

Staff member
I wasn't aware Groves was getting a new city hall.

Even if there isn't land, old neighborhoods can be replaced. Many of the houses around West, MacArthur and Montrose in Port Neches have been torn down and replaced since I was in elementary school.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
My understanding is that a new sub-division will be built on the old Pea patch golf course. That is a very good thing for Groves. But, I also heard that there may be a new apt complex built off of twin city behind the Church of Christ by the time warner office. Don't know if it would be section 8 or not. I have a friend who use to build houses with me back in the good ol days, he has been looking for lots in Groves to build custom homes on. I agree there are alot of older homes in Groves that investors could buy and tear down and rebuild new homes on. But I feel the market isn't just right at the moment. There are still lots of house's on the market that are for sale. Many of which are very nice houses but haven't sold in over a year. If the housing market turns around things could change quickly in the Groves.
People, families etc... want to live in the PNGISD district because of the education their children will receive. PN&G are very good communities to raise children. I have had 4 graduate from PNG and still have 2 Left. All have gone on to succeed. Proud my kids are PNG Grads. I honestly can't blame families wanting to move into PNGISD area's for their kids sake. Some may be good families, some not.

akifan94

500+ Posts
I have a feeling you will see Groves (I grew up there) slowly go downhill as homes age. It is just too close to PA for people to tear down the older homes and reinvest as you are seeing in Port Neches. I don't think it will affect the schools as much as it does the city in general in the near term. Hopefully Groves does not become desperate for tax income and allow low income housing to be built in the some of the larger land tracts around the city.

Bigdog

The Dog
bamakid said:
The best way to keep problem families out is to keep property values up. Responsible people who want the best for their children will make the sacrifices necessary to live in a community that invests in its schools the way PN-G does. Problem families won't. Nederland's property values continue to decline in large part because of the poor condition of their schools and the push for multi-unit housing. As a result, Nederland is soaking up the problems of Port Arthur like a sponge. I spotted a gang tag on the stop sign at the corner of 27th and Canal in Nederland this summer. I would have never thought it would penetrate that deep into Nederland when I was in high school.

Replace the elementaries, maintain a strong dedication to single-family homes and offer efficient, effective city services, and Port Neches and Groves will be fine. At the risk of sparking the old Port Neches vs. Groves debate, I think Port Neches is doing a good job of that. We've got a new city hall, we have a new fire station in the works, we finally have some development going on at the riverfront, Nall, Merriman and Port Neches Avenue have all been repaved in the last few years, and we have a healthy mix of new development as well as replacement of older homes in some old neighborhoods. Groves has some catching up to do (I say that as a former Groves resident). I don't know anyone who lives in Groves that hasn't complained about the condition of several of their roadways, in particular streets like 32nd, Roosevelt and Taft. There's also not as much new development going on in Groves. It might be a good idea for the community leaders in Groves to look into ways to spur new subdivision development.

Nederland is not building any more apartments either. The city council decided that a couple of years ago. Most of the PA students moving into Ned live in the apartments across 365. They have also built a new city hall, and if we can get the old people to either quit voting or move off we will pass a bond for new schools. If you drive around you will see new houses popping up in old neighborhoods. There are a couple of complexes in Ned that need to be torn down, two that are on Ave H and one on 27th.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores