20-5A 2014-2016

bark

1,000+ Posts
Speaking of transfers. I was told a big strong kid from California moved in yesterday as an 11th grader. Several kids told me last night that the coaches were pumped up about him. Say he looked like a wide-out type of guy?

Hope he helps us out!

expatndn

A lot going on for sure in all three communities. However, the difference in the Nederland and PN-G enrollment numbers seems to be not
significant. PN-G comes in at 1390 (per an above post) and Wikipedia (reliable?) shows Nederland at 1448. 68 students across four grades,
half or slightly more of whom are statistically female. Of the male remainder, approximately 34 (+/-) some are in the band, some play football,
some do other things. My point....For football purposes, on a pure numbers basis, the enrollment difference is insignificant and cannot
explain Nederland's current 4A, now 5A ongoing local success on the football field.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I agree. When you have a program that excels year after year after year, it can be attributed to one thing.... COACHING. And, at this point, Nederland has a system that continues to work for them.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
What worries me is the turnover of assistant coaches at PN-G. I know that Faircloth is the foundation, but it would be nice to have more stability with the position coaches.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Just keep hiring the best person qualified for the job. I don't care if they are local or from Mars. Get the best coach for the job. Keep him or her for as long as possible. When a coach leaves, regardless of the reason, find the best candidate that wants to come to PN-G. Hiring local, just because they are local or because they or someone in their family went to PN-G is ridiculous. Like any organization, get the best, most qualified person for job and move forward.

Go Indians. Peace.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
1989NDN said:
Just keep hiring the best person qualified for the job. I don't care if they are local or from Mars. Get the best coach for the job. Keep him or her for as long as possible. When a coach leaves, regardless of the reason, find the best candidate that want to come to PN-G. Hiring local, just because they are local or because they or someone if their family went to PN-G is ridiculous. Like any organization, get the best, most qualified person for job and move forward.

Go Indians. Peace.

+1

mdog

I was just responding to Indian fan's concerns. You can exspect a turnaround in coaches, if they come from out of town. I too believe in hiring the best coaches. The name of the game is to win because if you don't you will be looking for a job elsewhere.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
mdog said:
I was just responding to Indian fan's concerns. You can exspect a turnaround in coaches, if they come from out of town. I too believe in hiring the best coaches. The name of the game is to win because if you don't you will be looking for a job elsewhere.

My apologies...my reply was not directed to anyone specifically. I agree, when you bring in young coaches who want to be head coaches or move on to the college ranks, you can expect turnover.

How much longer before a female coaching applicant wants to coach male sports? Football? Baseball? Golf? Soccer? Would you support a female applicant? Go one step further. Would you support her if she was the best applicant for the job? Some school districts are facing this issue. Just curious what others on this board would say or do. No right or wrong answer.

Go Indians. Peace.

expatndn

Yeah, I reluctantly agree. Turnover, in and of itself, has its negatives. The head coach sets the programmatic theme, so there is year-to-year continuity, more or less, as long as the head coach position is stable. But assistant turnover can be disruptive.

The fact that PN-G assistant coaches are moving on (I think mostly they're not so much leaving as they are advancing their careers) speaks to the caliber of assistant Faircloth is hiring. But if you hire above average to exceptional talent, then turnover's going to occur. Hiring locally? I assume that means primarily hiring from within Jefferson and/or Orange counties. To the extent Faircloth can find and attract qualified local talent, I don't know why he wouldn't do so. But, if he does, if they have the ability, moving on to better opportunities is an ought to be expected option for them too.

I'm in the dark on this point...Any idea how stable Nederland's overall staff has been since Faircloth arrived at PN-G, i.e. over the same time frame?

badndn

500+ Posts
Nederlands staff is all Local and has stayed intact for the most part for years, but Neuman was a local guy that had mainly local connections (many were Nederland Grads).

Carey wasn't local, but he kinda was??? His wife was from HF, which was all the more reason HF should have selected him as HC/AD year before last over the guy from MIDLAND (by the way they are already trying to run him outta town).

On the PA to Ned front, I know of two of those 2014 "BIG" PA to Nederland football players that don't live within those boundries set above. :nono: Not sure how they where able to stay in the NISD?

biaplayer

The coaching turnover rate just goes to show you that we have a hell of a coach and he is bringing in other coaches who blossom underneath him and are able to further their careers by coaching at PNG. I agree I would love to see the best available coaches get the jobs, doesn't matter if he is local or not. I know several coaches that are local and have moved down to the middle schools. Nothing wrong with that at all in my book. Don't know the reasons, but it is what it is. My biggest concerns are on the defensive side of the ball, I know this will never happen for whatever the reason may be but why not let ole Head Coach Matt Burnett come coach the Defense. He was hellacious for his defensive knowledge and put some good defenses out there. He is still on the payroll why not let him coach. He lives in Port Neches and do not think he is going anywhere. it would be a plus in my book, but don't know if his pride or his ego would let him do that or if it would be because of the board. Whatever the case may be I know it wouldn't happen, but I was just thinking outside the box :huh: lol His Defensive mindset would benefit us no doubt.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Good Idea with Burnett. But I don't see BF or the board allowing that. I think heads would butt too many times.

biaplayer

yes I agree but sometimes you need to butt heads to get something done. the man is already getting paid not sure exactly he is doing but he is an Indian at Heart and deep down I know he is a football guy first. like I said just thinking outside the box. I know in reality it wont happen.

bark

1,000+ Posts
pngfan93 said:
Coach Burnett as DC would be a dream scenario. I'm sure it'll never happen though.
[/quote

It would pacify the Balsamo clan.

I have lived in png 56 years and have never seen this in your face attitude by the SB

BUT think about it we had business MEN in the 50's - mid 80's

Now it is either police, Ex teachers and husbands of teachers. Maybe the exception is Sullivan and Britten.

Don't know what that means just no diversity
All elected by the citizens of PNG. Fact.

Torino

500+ Posts
bark said:
pngfan93 said:
Coach Burnett as DC would be a dream scenario. I'm sure it'll never happen though.
[/quote

It would pacify the Balsamo clan.

I have lived in png 56 years and have never seen this in your face attitude by the SB

BUT think about it we had business MEN in the 50's - mid 80's

Now it is either police, Ex teachers and husbands of teachers. Maybe the exception is Sullivan and Britten.

Don't know what that means just no diversity
All elected by the citizens of PNG. Fact.
McCutcheon's wife does not work for the school district, and as far as I know never has. She teaches at Lamar U.
Elected Retired Teacher: Parker :thud:
Husband of Teacher: Balsamo :mad:
Husband of Teacher: Walters :eek:
Brother of Teacher: Balsamo :mad:
Second vote for retired teacher: Miller :huh:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores