2010 Purple & White Game

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Thank you pngfan93 ... thanks for the updates and commentary. I am looking forward to the 2010 season and seeing our kids have fun competing for another district championship.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
So first team defense won the battle over first team defense? How did each look? Strengths, weaknesses?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
May 22, 2010

PN-G game looks very impressive
Tom Halliburton
The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES — PORT NECHES -- Two leading coaches and one veteran player echoed identical reviews after the Port Neches-Groves spring football game. These Indians looked great.

That's what PN-G head coach Brandon Faircloth, defensive coordinator Duane Kroeker and senior-to-be defensive tackle Aaron Easley said. Their consensus simply was hard to dispute on any level.

PN-G doesn't have seven home games in 2010. The Indians do not need to guarantee another 10-0 regular season right now.

Having modestly written the least positive end of this spectrum, here are the many delightful encouraging purple positives.

There simply is no comparison in the look of this Indians' program after a second spring training as opposed to a year ago. Of course, last year's 10-0 and 11-1 wasn't bad. But the difference in PN-G's progress after two springs can be an extremely pleasant thought around Indian Stadium.

Rather than injecting very much journalistic opinion, let's allow those two coaches and one player the forum to compare late May, 2009, with late May, 2010.

"We're way ahead of where we were (a year ago)," Faircloth said after the White team defeated the Purple team, 21-14. "That doesn't mean that we will have the result we want. There's still a lot of hard work to be done through the summer.

"But we accomplished everything we set out to accomplish in the spring. We worked hard on the fundamentals. We got a great look at our personnel and our schemes. And we have wonderful coaches who do a great job at coaching their position."

Most of that was true a year ago, too. But the players and coaches have so much more familiarity with each other, with the expectation level, with the intent of the offensive and defensive scheme. The extra year of familiarity has enabled PN-G to arguably be:

+ Much better in the kicking game.

+ Much deeper and seasoned on both lines of scrimmage.

+ Far better in the cohesion of the coaching staff.

+ Far more capable of truly making a deep 4A playoff run.

"We're so far ahead of where we were (a year ago)," defensive chief Kroeker said. "There's no doubt about it.

"We have what we call a trust tree within our coaches. We had a great year and we kinda bonded. We're very experienced in the defensive line and all those guys are helping us to get better in the back end."

Kroeker's defense held its own much more in this spring game than a year ago. That's partly because Easley, D.J. Schexnider, Taylor Thompson, Christian Shetley and Jake Davis have so much experience on the purple defensive line.

"Compared to last year, we had a lot better spring," Easley said. "It's going to be hard but I think we will go further than last year."

The Indians looked that good in spite of their considerable number of baseball absentees. They have Brennan Doty at quarterback and Brennan Doty's look-alike Travis Miller as a backup.

Doty connected on 12 of 26 for 93 yards and accounted for both of his first team's scores. He lobbed a 30-yard scoring pass to Jayce Nelson and angled to the end zone on a three-yard option keeper. The sophomore Miller completed 7 of 12 with one interception for 47 yards and a touchdown.

First-team tailback Chase Bertrand carried 14 times for 44 yards and effective backup Huga Ceja added 12 for 81. Neither lost a fumble. Neither fumbled at all. Both ran hard on the interior and Bertrand gave indications of being a superb cutback runner, like his record-setting predecessor Caleb Harmon.

"Bertrand is very similar to Harmon," Faircloth said. "We don't ask him to be Caleb Harmon, though. We just ask him to be Chase. He's a wonderful worker and he has great ball security."

Comparisons seemed to be inevitable on this warm night. Indians fans may find it fun to compare 2010 with 2009.
http://panews.com/sports/x2023216386/PN-G-game-looks-very-impressive

NDNband69

500+ Posts
Pics from the Purple White Spring Game.

General view of the scene, run play.
DSCF9464.jpg

Pass play.
DSCF9462.jpg

Run play.
DSCF9472.jpg

The Band having fun.
DSCF9479.jpg

Fan reaction to the bands routine.
DSCF9480.jpg

The Cheerleaders add game atmosphere.
DSCF9484.jpg

OldEagle

500+ Posts
The cheerleaders must have done double duty last night as they were at Magnolia for the basebase game for a while. Way to go girls!

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
Offense: Looked good at times. But I think the interior running game needs a little work. As far as the passing game, Doty puts the ball on the money just about every throw. I think the NDNs will be able to move the ball at will up and down the field if the receivers can be more consistent. Hopefully our guys get play a little 7 on 7 and get a lot of practice together.

Defense: 1st team looked awesome. D-line was able to stop every run it seemed and was able to get pressure on the QB. If the D-line stays healthy this year, they will give offenses nightmares all season. The secondary looked pretty good as well. They seem to be ahead of where they were last year. They only gave up one big pass play, but the thing that I liked seeing was how well they swarmed to the ball. There was never 1 NDN making the tackle, it seemed like there was at least 3 or 4 on every play.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
Lots of heat and lots of hittin!Indians seemed to be alot futher along than last year. 2nd string qb looks like he could step in easy if need be.He is big and can run.Kicker did a nice job. Pretty far on extra points almost to the track.defense definitely going to the ball! Way to work INDIANS!

badndn

500+ Posts
>1st D Line is stout. Lots of returners. Very deep. Schexneider was in on every play. That kid is a BBBeast!
>My understanding is that there were a couple of DBs still playing Baseball, but the kids out there did well. It helps when you have a Line putting pressure on the QB like we do. Also missing Desmond at LB (injury).
>1st O Line is big. Looked good considering they were up against one of the better D Lines in the state.
>WR dropped some passes, but to be expected, they were all new to Varsity. Mostly Sophomores. Jalali will help.
>Doty made a few mistakes, but spending more time with the new WR will help.
>Bertrand ran hard. He always moved forward.
Most impressive was Freshman Grant Tatum (#5). He was the only kid I saw playing both ways. On second team defense he sucked up the RB on a long run and brought him down at the 10. Good stuff.
He then ran the ball late in the game on second team and looked strong. Made some very good moves and cuts and drug the defense into the endzone on one play. Then they kept him on offense with the first team and he broke off a couple of nice runs.

lu cards

100+ Posts
between baseball and injuries there were about 10 kids that will either start or see signif playing time not on the field friday.i wouldnt be surprised to see a few more transfers.had a kid from orangefield playing safety that enrolled a few weeks ago.people are seeing the commitment from the coaches and community towards our kids.if we build that indoor facility any family moving to setx will take a strong look at png.

alwaysanindian83

Grant Tatum was number 5 and hoping he gets to keep that number. His dad was number 5 at TJ. He got to play with that number as a freshman. He did look good on both sides of the ball.

Good job guys!! Can't wait till football season.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores