2017 Class 5A Baseball Semi-Finals and Finals - Go Indians!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Semi-Finals at Dell Diamond in Round Rock, TX:

- Thurs., June 8, 2017, at 4p: PN-G Indians (32-8-2) v. Frisco Wakeland Wolverines (38-4-1)
- Thurs. June 8, 2017 at 7p: Grapevine Mustangs (32-12) v. Corpus Christi Moody Trojans (30-2-3)

Finals at Dell Diamond in Round Rock, TX:

- UPDATED SCHEDULE: Fri, June 9, 2017 at 7p Sat., June 10, 2017 at 12p: Teams TBD

Go Indians. Peace.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Good find, Indian Fan. As expected, when you get to the last four teams left in the state, the Indians and Wolverines look to be evenly matched. The Indians have a lot of quality arms, solid defense, and the best team chemistry. If the bats stay hot, there is no stopping this group of PN-G Indians.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Indian Fan, has PN-G ever won a state championship in baseball? Maybe during the 1950s? Maybe earlier? 1940s? This may be our year!

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I created and maintained a baseball site for a number of years, and collected some good history from a previous coach. No, never won a championship in baseball.

The Indians made it to the state tournament in the late 50's. And then during the Jay Stone era made it in 2000 and 2004. The Indians lost to Calallen 8-6 in the 2000 AAAA championship game, and lost the semifinal game to Boerne 4-0 in 2004.

The only appearance in the state title game was 2000. I vaguely remember that the Indians were on the verge of winning that game with 2 out in the final inning. But some timely hits and an error allowed Calallen to tie the game and go into extra innings. Below is a news article that mentioned the wet field and uncharacteristic errors made by both teams.

Calallen captures 4A baseball title

Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2000

AUSTIN (AP) - Corpus Christi Calallen waited through the rain delays and played through the extra innings to win the school's first state baseball championship on Saturday.

Matt Bode scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning on a head-first slide at the plate, and Brandon Wittner added an insurance score on a Port Neches-Groves throwing error to give Calallen an 8-6 victory in the Class 4A state title game.

Bode reached on a fielder's choice and moved to second on a wild pitch by Calallen reliever Kyle Stutes. Wittner then rapped a single to center field, and Bode raced home as the ball skipped on the wet artificial turf at Disch-Falk Field at the University of Texas.

Ryan Norton's throw home was slightly off line, and Bode slid under Groves catcher Bo Wortham's tag for a 7-6 lead.

Calallen (38-3) lost in the title game in 1998 and 1999, including an eight-inning, 4-3 defeat to Andrews last year.

Saturday's game was delayed twice, once in the first inning and again in the seventh, for a total of about two hours.

Calallen led 4-0 in the third, scoring three runs on Jon Ross Hirshfield's two-run single and a throwing error on Norton.

Groves scored five in the bottom of the inning and took a 6-4 lead when Chase Richards led off the fourth with a walk and later scored on Dustin Long's throwing error. The teams combined for seven errors on the wet field.

Wittner went 3-for-5 with two runs for Calallen, and Dwayne Wagnon struck out six in 4 2/3 innings of relief. Wagnon pitched a complete-game, 10-0 victory against El Paso Riverside in Thursday's semifinals.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
This year's TEAM has a shot to rewrite the baseball chapter in PN-G's history books. What a year! No matter what happens, it's been a great year for a tremendous group of young men and coaches.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PN-G vs. Frisco Wakeland: Class 5A state semifinal game information
UIL CLASS 5A STATE SEMIFINAL
Port Neches-Groves (32-8) vs. Frisco Wakeland (38-4)
When: 4 p.m., Thursday
Where: Dell Diamond, Round Rock

Tickets: $7 for students; $12 for adults; $35 for all-tournament pass
Follow: @Beaumont_Sports, @MikeTobiasPhoto and #BEScores on Twitter for live updates.
Send-Off Rally: PN-G's team bus will leave the high school at approximately 8 a.m. Wednesday. Fans are asked to line the streets from the school down to Port Neches Avenue.
Baseball State Tournament Broadcast Information: FOX Sports Southwest and NFHS Network will combine to televise and webcast the UIL baseball state tournament June 7-10 from Dell Diamond and UFCU Disch Falk field.
FOX Sports Southwest will televise the 6A championship, while NFHS Network will stream all semifinal games and 1A-5A championship games with a subscription at NFHSNetwork.com/associations/uil.
For complete broadcast information for the UIL Baseball State Tournament, please refer to the UIL website at: UILTexas.org/baseball/state/baseball-state-tournament-broadcast-information

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The pay per view includes live video broadcast of the games. Well worth the price for me.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Indian Fan - I have to work tomorrow and the bosses frown upon streaming video/audio on company time/equipment. I can sneak over to this message board and check the scores. If you watch/listen to the game, please post updates. If you can great, if not, no worries. I'll have to wait until I get home to check for scores. Thanks.

Go Indians. Peace.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
oh WOW ANOTHER TRIP TO STATE FOR OUR INDIANS WHata year. GO INDIANS

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I just got home from work. I could not sneak over to the message board during work. Came here...and happy to read that our INDIANS WON! HOOOOOORRRRRRRAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY! The Indians continue on the war path in Round Rock! Smoke signals coming from The Reservation, 1401 Merriman in Port Neches, are saying: "PN-G Indians will win the 2017 State Championship in Class 5A Boys Baseball!"

Go Indians. Peace.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2017/06/07/5a-state-semifinals-preview-frisco-wakeland-grapevine-stack-vs-foes

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores