Anybody Home???

NDN06

100+ Posts
I was thinking the same thing ??? Friday was a tough loss, but we played a very good Vidor team. I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for another week of football! :helmet:

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Most knew this was going to be a tough and trying year. Just hope people understand with a school our size there is going to be tough years, but I feel their needs to be more attention on the defensive side of the ball.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
Justafan said:
Most knew this was going to be a tough and trying year. Just hope people understand with a school our size there is going to be tough years, but I feel their needs to be more attention on the defensive side of the ball.

Not trying to pick and argument; but that doesn't seem to affect West Orange-Stark or Newton who produce quality teams year end and year out. They are both much smaller than PN-G.

I agree that more attention needs to be shown to the defensive side of the ball.

Bruiser

Teams like Newton and WOS have this thing called speed...I think WOS had 9 or 10 returning starters on their defense, several that are division 1 athletes. The Indians are having a tough year...they'll be just fine. If you don't think so, come watch Tuesday and Thursday nights...the future is bright. Every high school team in America goes through a spell like this every once in a while. There are very few high school teams that are good every single year. The boys are playing hard and doing their best. The coaches are working hard and doing the right things. Support the boys and the coaches for two more games, and we'll get ready for next year.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Automo 65 said:
Teams like Newton and WOS have this thing called speed...I think WOS had 9 or 10 returning starters on their defense, several that are division 1 athletes. The Indians are having a tough year...they'll be just fine. If you don't think so, come watch Tuesday and Thursday nights...the future is bright. Every high school team in America goes through a spell like this every once in a while. There are very few high school teams that are good every single year. The boys are playing hard and doing their best. The coaches are working hard and doing the right things. Support the boys and the coaches for two more games, and we'll get ready for next year.
?????????????????????????????
it is true Burnett went through it from a State Championship game in '99 to everything inbetween. Ethridge did the same after the '74-'77 run then in '78,'79, etc... he hauled ass. Matt probably stayed too long. who knows how long BF will stay - if we continue to sprial down. and the talk about the upcomming talent ____well___ what about '73 and all the talent from the "Jet' and all others who did not win District.

the point is you can't tell what Seniors are going to do at their 9th grade level. May have good idea but you never know.

I

png fan for life

Speed is very important but apparently it's not everything. If that was the case schools like Ozen and Central would have winning seasons every year. I remember the Lincoln Bumblebees when they couldn't win and you know the speed was there. There are only two schools around our area that seem to win every year. WOS and Nederland. They have something special over there and I wish I knew what is was.

P.S. This is just PN-G football. There will be good years and unfortunately there will be the bad ones.

bark

1,000+ Posts
png fan for life said:
Speed is very important but apparently it's not everything. If that was the case schools like Ozen and Central would have winning seasons every year. I remember the Lincoln Bumblebees when they couldn't win and you know the speed was there. There are only two schools around our area that seem to win every year. WOS and Nederland. They have something special over there and I wish I knew what is was.

P.S. This is just PN-G football. There will be good years and unfortunately there will be the bad ones.
???????????????????????????
perfectly said.

Whodat

The difference at Nederland is larry Neumann. He relentlessly finds a way to make his kids successful. The year they made the playoffs with all those QB injuries was as impressive as the job he's doing this year. He's just such a complete.coach and a motivator, that's why he wins year in and year out.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
He's also had the same assistants for years. You might be surprised how important that is.

Look at the perfect example of Coach Ethridge. When his top assistants left, 4 wins tops.

badndn

500+ Posts
Good point IndianFan.
Also in 1973 only one team went to the playoffs and its not like that team didn't win.
And as far as Neuman goes, yes he is a very good coach, but he has also benefited from the four team playoff scenario for what its worth. Compared to Newton and WOS who always win district.

bark

1,000+ Posts
pngmom4 said:
Could it be WOS and Newton may have open enrollment?
????????????????????????????????????
those kids probably can't afford open enrollment fees.

WO-S has them move in with a educational gardian and Newton I'm not sure of. Nederland has more of the Port Arthur kids - which is why the ethnic make up is what it is. PNG only gets part of Benttree whereas NISD gets Stonegate, Benttree and many other section 8 areas.

bark

1,000+ Posts
pngmom4 said:
some districts do not charge enrollment fees

?????????????????????????????
LC-M charges, Vidor charges and WO-S does not - but who, except dbacks want to go there.

no other Districts - that I know of have it.

It, IMO is bad all the way around.

akifan94

500+ Posts
PN-G does not need open enrollment for any reason. We do not need more apartments either. Nederland has declined as a school and the test results show that.

png94

100+ Posts
Aki, Coach Faircloth told us he is all for open enrollment as long as there are strict rules for it, like keeping grades above a certain average, disciplinary record at the other school and in the community, etc... I also think it would be okay as long as there are strict guidelines and if there were we could charge per semester like a private school does.

expatndn

I'm new to this board, and this is my first post. As my username suggests, I live out of state and have so for many years. PNG class of 1966. I stay up on Indian football through this board, the PA Blues, and listening to the webcasts on Friday nights. I say this to acknowledge up front that my views and opinions on Indian football are from a distance, not from the 50 yard line.

I think Whodat is on to something.

All high school football programs have elements in common, among which is that players (and talent) comes and goes each year. However, programs that are consistently good over a sustained period have attributes that aren't common to all, that make a major difference to the long term quality of those programs. To name some (and I'm sure you can name others):

Stability: Stable programs, from a coaching, philosophical, and programmatic perspective. Not easy, I realize.

Discipline: In season and in the off season (e.g. weight room fidelity, etc). Doing the hard, drudge work that pays off on Friday nights. You can tell which teams have discipline and those that don't.

Fundamentals: Blocking, tackling, etc....Attention to detail and technique that is essential to sound execution in all phases of the game. Did I say tackling??

Consistency: Getting the fundamentals right time after time after time after.......time.

Programs and teams that do these things well usually succeed more often than not irregardless of the yearly talent ebb and flow. Winning seasons are the norm. When they combine that with a strong talent influx, then they really fly.

Point? Nederland's enrollment is not significantly greater the PNG's. WO-S is 3A, I believe. So it seems to me, again from a distance, that right now Nederland (as much as it pains me to say it), has an edge over PNG. Perhaps because they've succeeded in establishing and maintaining "success" attributes into their program.

The question in my mind is whether PNG is in the process of installing those attributes into its program. I hope so. However, my sense is that time may be starting to run short on getting to an answer. No matter how you rationalize it, no successful PNG football program loses more often than not Nederland. We ain't gonna run the table on 'em, they're too good for that, but we should at least be consistently holding our own with them.

Last, I do hope that the success we've had and are having at the freshman and JV levels is positive sign. My only regret is that we have to wait until next year to find out.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores