August 22 Scrimmage vs. LC-M

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Wish they would wear their regular numbers
Made it a little more confusing
Nguyen doesn’t have a little brother does he ?
At first I thought #35 was black but no he’s just very dark but he doesn’t run he GLIDES

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
#36 4th string RB TD
24-0
long drive back to Houston
Over and out
It’s second team looks like from here on out
Our second string and JV OL is what most 5A teams field
Thanks for the updates and safe travels back to H-Town!! I’m even more excited to see how we stack up against Klein Oak and LaPorte…will be great preparation for district play and beyond!!

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
The biggest difference between last years team and this is a Shae Adams type wildcard they never stopped Chatinger I know I’m not spelling that right haha

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
One thing that confused me was Christian wore 79 and the other tackle wore 74 so at first I’m thinking
OMG our OTHER TACKLE is even bigger than Christian the whole OL is big and some up coming OL have the “look”

Our WRs are on the small side but that never stopped us you can tell some of the developing players have some raw talent just need experience some look like a colt sort of awkward in their bodies but they’ll develop.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Well just what you would expect from a team of our caliber vs a team of their caliber. It was like squashing a bug. That's not a knock on LCM in any way. Their QB couldn't move without an Indian on him every single drop back. The secondary wasn't really tested because the QB was always under pressure. Their line has some really good size to it as well. Couple of things I noted Wuenchel looks about 20-25 lbs heavier and he is a beast. Chatagnier looks 195-200 lbs. now. Th offensive line is huge, The linebackers is NOT going to be a problem. The only questions I still have left is the connection between Bailey and the WR's and the secondary simply because their wasn't enough game play for them. They are ahead of where they were last season during this scrimmage. I was at that one also. Biggest o line I have ever seen a PNG. Period. They are road graders. 99 Played as the 3rd down lineman. Just as Indianfan said #42 was a tackling machine. The LB's look really strong and they were very very aggressive. When I left LCM had 3 first downs.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Something I love about our defensive scheme is

The OLBs are almost strong safeties
And have the freedom (from what I see) to use their intuition according to down distance/ offensive formation (I could be way off but that’s what it SEEMS like) to play where they see fit (pack the box, play as a secondary position player)
I know there’s more to it than that but we have 2-3 “packages” on the field all the time. And we have the size and power to do that with only 3 DLmen
Secondly it looks like most every play
There’s SOME form of LB blitz (when the pass is identified) either two right two left one left or maybe any combination etc which is a nightmare for the OL blocking scheme to me that takes the risk out (rolling the dice on the blitz and coverage suffers)
The OLBs look like a nickel back in some formations and Wenchell (as always I’d rather type than look up how to spell)(grant me a broad name spelling pardon)
Is a monster
When you look at it on paper
To stop the inside run you HAVE to have Xs inside the tackles
These OLBs collapse on the inside run and are also a nightmare to run block against because their speed trumps the OL’s speed (can’t block what you can’t catch) so we have 4 defenders that the OL has to catch first instead of granting them the luxury of having them line up a foot away where power is king

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
One way FB has changed massively since say the 80s was
Most philosophy said
Run inside for the short gains (maybe even 5-10) (do that regularly and you win) and sweep (student body right/left) for the chance to break the big one and take it to the house) where you sort of relied on the traffic jam in the middle to open up the outside
Today I rarely see the sweep do much (comparatively) I think modern defensive schemes (if you execute) have shut the sweep down for the most part (not all) we ran it down the middle I don’t remember one outside run
And even when running outside you’re starting off tackle and breaking to daylight outside that’s the effective outside run now.
And even now I see maybe just as many 0/1 gap runs taking it to the house
Summary: football seems to have moved more “inside” in the modern game.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Something I love about our defensive scheme is

The OLBs are almost strong safeties
And have the freedom (from what I see) to use their intuition according to down distance/ offensive formation (I could be way off but that’s what it SEEMS like) to play where they see fit (pack the box, play as a secondary position player)
I know there’s more to it than that but we have 2-3 “packages” on the field all the time. And we have the size and power to do that with only 3 DLmen
Secondly it looks like most every play
There’s SOME form of LB blitz (when the pass is identified) either two right two left one left or maybe any combination etc which is a nightmare for the OL blocking scheme to me that takes the risk out (rolling the dice on the blitz and coverage suffers)
The OLBs look like a nickel back in some formations and Wenchell (as always I’d rather type than look up how to spell)(grant me a broad name spelling pardon)
Is a monster
When you look at it on paper
To stop the inside run you HAVE to have Xs inside the tackles
These OLBs collapse on the inside run and are also a nightmare to run block against because their speed trumps the OL’s speed (can’t block what you can’t catch) so we have 4 defenders that the OL has to catch first instead of granting them the luxury of having them line up a foot away where power is king
It’s all about responsibilities. Gap, zone, what ever. A body has to be in every area. They can mix it up with a blitz to take advantage of a situation, but someone else will be covering the area he left. Coach McDaniel is a big proponent of mixing it up and keeping an offense on their heels.

‘99’ can tell you all about how the split 6 worked to create havoc. PNG plays a 50 defense now but the split 6 worked well for PNG during the Ethridge through Burnett era. (Although not sure what Malone led teams ran.)

4-0-Niner

This years team has to be one of the Largest in size ever. It's at least up there with the Top 3. Should be another banner year, barring injuries.
I really like that we have depth in size at Oline, I recall last year we went into a jumbo set a few times when the opponents packed the box, and we put a second string lineman in at TE for some of those formations. I can only imagine this year having seven of those 6' to 6'5" , all 250 lbs plus monsters on the line with Chatagnier running behind them. Talk about some smash mouth football...

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores