Basketball hurt by football sucess?

OldEagle

500+ Posts
Not complaining but since 3 of last year's basketball varsity players (Deron, Kerr & Doty) are still playing football (and hopefully will still be playing well into Dec), our basketball team will have to play without them for a while. Don't get me wrong, there are still some good players on the basketball team who will just have to take up the slack. Also there are a few other football players that played on the JV basketball team last year.

carzan

500+ Posts
It is true that there are players we will have to do without for a while. That being said, in the grand scheme of things it will only give all of the players that are on the roundball team some time on the court that may prove to be very valuable when the basketball district games begin. I believe it will help our depth. And depth in basketball can really provide some advantages on the court.

The basketball team is practicing and to be quite honest they look pretty good. I have watched a practice or two, we will be ready when the whistle blows!

OldEagle

500+ Posts
Good point, carzan. I haven't thought about the fact that some guys who maybe wouldn't be getting that much playing time will indeed be getting some valuable playing time. Looking forward to supporting our basketball team! Is there a game this Saturday? If so, where?

carzan

500+ Posts
The Indians will be scrimmaging the WOS Mustangs this saturday at the reservation. The JV game is set to begin at 1:00pm and the Varsity game is slated to begin at 2:00pm. I will be there wearing purple!

carzan

500+ Posts
Yes I did.

While WOS did win the scrimmage, we did well with the kids we have. We are low on numbers especially on varsity (we had several kids that played in the JV scrimmage as well as the varsity scrimmage). I think we will be okay. The return of the players that are on the football team will help to round out the squad but the minutes for all of the kids are going to prove very valuable as the season gets rolling. WOS had all of their starters but one for this scrimmage so they are basically complete. We managed to compete and make some needed adjustments and keep it a game. I feel sure there will also be some lessons from the game film for for the kids this week.

My son plays post for the indians. He was on the varsity last year and saw a bit of court time and will see much more this year. He was up against a kid who had at least a hundred pounds on him. And the kid knew how to throw that weight around. It was a tough game for the inside guys as a whole but they kept working and never let WOS dominate the inside like they should've. Some experience and a bit of help from a couple of football guys I can think of and we will be fine when district rolls around!!!!

pngindian

Yes I was there to watch most of the varsity scrimmage, the point guard seemed to be able to control the pace of the game. One of the guards/post kept on scoring and scoring. The big man that your son was against was a beast on the block, like you said being able to throw his weight around well. I also think with the addition of several key starters and some more work we will be able to contend in district.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores