Brenham vs. Angleton

Starfire

PNGROW4650YRDLN said:
You know, the INDIAN NATION has to wonder why these folks from Brenham, who beat us, continue to keep coming back to us on this messageboard. If my team had beat a team, I would be so looking forward to the next playoff game that the team just played, and beat, would become a distant memory in short order.

For the most part, those of us who came back here have so much respect for you and your players. Yes, there were some who unfortunately have trash talked PNG (and vice versa), but there were MANY MORE people who have supported us after the fact. It says a lot when you will continue to follow Brenham even after they defeated you in a very good game.

I personally am a graduate of Sealy when they won the third of their state championship run in the 1990s. There were quite a few close calls during that run, but we knew we could win. The game with You, Angleton and now Dayton I would say honestly I felt with all three I did not think the Cubs would pull it out. You were that good and should hold your heads up high.

On a personal level - I remember every single game too I played in volleyball and how hard I cried for the OTHER team that we beat in regional semis because they played that well and most were seniors. This game was also 13 years ago and I remember it vividly, as I will this game we played you for years to come. Please trust me, your hard effort is not forgotten.

Could it be that they don't have their own messageboard? Could it be they are bored? Could it be the arrogance so many referred to?

Honestly depends on whom you talk to - my case, I like seeing how other schools follow up on the team that beat them to see how they're doing afterward. Call it the "well, if I can't win, I hope so and so wins" or "I hope that so and so eats dirt and likes it for beating us" mentality. Been doing this myself since 1994. And, most of the time the team that beat Sealy or Brenham went to state and won. ;)

BETTER YET - Could it be that the chill of CHEROKEE is still running through their bodies and ringing in their ears? Could it be the they too are now infected by the mystic of the INDIAN NATION, its HONOR, PRIDE and TRADITION? Hmmmm - think about it !

Probably - there are a lot of people who respect your team even with squabbles on both sides with officiating and the like. But, that happens - we're in a state where football is king. ;) Yes, like with Brenham there are a few players and fans who are just turkeys to the other team, but those who you should really care about - people such as myself and others - respect our opponents as a whole. As long as a team itself plays fair (can't say it about officiating, but I have seen some cruddy refereeing on both sides for all sports and levels this year), then I'm happy for whomever wins, even if it isn't Brenham. There has been one exception in my time, but that was because they played dirty then tried to get Sealy banned the next year as a cheap shot (they were caught in their own act, and both schools were put on probation just to stop the debate).

And, there will be comments that are taken out of context (please bear in mind Ty's comment was just after they won the game, and adrenaline was rushing - he is a very polite person IRL), there will be things we all wish we haven't said, but in the end, that respect that you guys showed us through all of it is what I remember.

Starfire

Also, in case anyone wondered, Brenham defeated Dayton 30-24, and it too was a hard fought game on both sides as it was with you. I think the heart your team showed helped make the Cubs stronger as a team, and we thank you for that. I think the Indian Spirit actually rubbed off on Brenham as well.

BTW - whomever was the Indian Spirit, I wanted to say that he did an excellent job dancing - I enjoyed his performance immensely and loved the costume. Please pass that along to him. You all do an excellent job in respecting the Indian heritage and the costumes are gorgeous.

Starfire

Torino said:
Why would you root against Brenham and for Dayton? As Brenham advances farther in the playoffs, it shows just how good PNG was this year.

I'm sure it was the comments made by Ty, even though they were taken immediately after the game when emotions are very high. I would've expected PNG to possibly do the same thing because it was that intense of a game. But, trust me, even with the comment in the paper, the team as a whole respected your team as players, and I'm sure are thankful that they played you. I've never seen two teams play THAT intense in a game, and I've been through four years of playoff games, culminating into four state championships (Sealy).

Example, Dayton was a very good team, as was Brenham this week. The one difference I saw was that Dayton had everything to lose, Brenham nothing given they met up this round last year. I think honestly that made the difference.

But, had they not had such a tough game from you guys (and I felt you would've whipped Angleton and Dayton you were that good), I don't think they'd played so well this round. They have more to thank you guys for than anything - I know some fans in Brenham feel the same way, and more than you think. ;)

badndn

500+ Posts
Thanks Starfire.

We felt like the two best teams in Division II played that night in Aldine. I thought the winner might go on to win it all. Just so happens that it was not us!

I can guarantee that none of our players would have made a comment like Ty did after any game about any player!!!!

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
I've learned to never guarantee anything. Someone always has loose lips.

I'm pulling for Brenham all the way. If we had to lose, it might as well be to the state champions.

cub1322

I would have to agree with starfire on this on ive played baseball with ty for three years now and he is one to respect the game and the players. I'd also have to agree with his emotions were running high and there was a lot of talk amongst the teams!! We thank y'all for the support and the great game and hope to meet up again for years to come this could be one great rivalry!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Starfire said:
I've never seen two teams play THAT intense in a game, and I've been through four years of playoff games, culminating into four state championships (Sealy)
Torino said:
Just one comment from me, please, and do not take it personally. I feel for you when you make the above statement. WE play that intensely every game even when we are losing. After watching almost every game since 1970, I can name many games just as intense or more so than the Brenham game. Ask the Central fans about our game this year. Indians have so much pride!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores