Clear eyes, full hearts and a $94 million Texas high school stadium

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Few towns represent the Texas ethos of Friday Night Lights - and the big money behind it - more than the Dallas exurb of Prosper.

Spectators gather at a stadium with 12,000 seats, a two-story press box, fancy digs for college scouts and a 60-foot-wide video scoreboard - a venue that cost about $50 million. These high school football games don't always fill the seats, but a local hospital chain paid $2.5 million for the stadium's naming rights anyway. It's all for the glory of a bunch of teenagers.

When the stadium opened four years ago, it was a state-of-the-art facility that underscored the region's transformation from farmland to one of the fastest-growing districts in Texas.

But it may soon just be the second-most expensive stadium in the Prosper Independent School District. On Nov. 7, voters will consider a whopping $2.8 billion bond package, including $94 million for a new 8,000-seat venue that could be the costliest in Texas history. It's part of the continued buildout from the red-hot growth over the past few years that gave Dallas the biggest population increase of any metro area in the country in 2022 as people flocked there for cheaper housing, lower taxes and rapid job growth.

"Prosper, and North Texas as a whole, is the modern day Rome."
-- Bill Beavers, Prosper ISD school board.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The $9M investment in Indian Stadium comes out to an average of ~$690 per seat.

A $94M, 8K seat stadium? $11,750 per seat.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Not sure why they would make it so small...Prosper now has 3 high schools unless the cost has jumped so much due to our great Bidenomics to build stadiums.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
I went to Clear Falls vs Clear Creek Friday

Two 6A schools within 5 miles of the stadium
CC Is literally on the same property

Both sides put together would equal a PNG 2-3 hr drive
Someone said
Man, we haven’t had a crowd like this in a long time must be because of the new band show.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
In the subject of stadiums
I do love the “bowl” concept and sorry to THE REZ with NO TRACK lol
Gets the crowd closer to the action
Pleasant Grove looks like they’re selling out MSG every Friday because they packed 4-5 k in a small geographical area and when the spillover happens into the end zone grass it makes it look like college gameday

They also have someone (don’t know who)
Who shows up in a black and gold helicopter which adds to the excitement (yes they have a helicopter pad behind the home side lol)

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
The MAC has had a GREAT idea playing games on Tues Wed and Thurs. great idea playing when there’s nothing else to watch

But the BAD IDEA is allowing the stands to be empty
If I’m the MAC president you give away free tickets have a big name play at halftime
Anything you have to do to fill the stands for national TV

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
In the subject of stadiums
I do love the “bowl” concept and sorry to THE REZ with NO TRACK lol
Gets the crowd closer to the action
Pleasant Grove looks like they’re selling out MSG every Friday because they packed 4-5 k in a small geographical area and when the spillover happens into the end zone grass it makes it look like college gameday

They also have someone (don’t know who)
Who shows up in a black and gold helicopter which adds to the excitement (yes they have a helicopter pad behind the home side lol)
Back in the late 70s a new, concrete stadium was being discussed in Port Neches. Not sure what changed with that vision but of course it never came to be.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores