CURIOSITY QUESTION

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
I'm curious to hear PNG's fans opinion on this...

What is the primary reason that the Indians are enjoying so much success this year and have made such a huge turnaround from last year??

Just my opinion but, I believe it is for the most part due to the new philosophy/mentality brought in by Coach Faircloth and company. No so much the X's and O's aspect (which I believe is pretty much "mechanical", albeit he has brought in some new schemes/plays), but how they (coaching staff) have gotten the kids mentally prepared, pumped up, and believing in themselves for each game. (I intend NO disrespect whatsoever to the previous coaching staff and/or players)

Please share your thoughts on this.

Peace, YD

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
YD,
I believe you covered most of it with your post, but IMO, the biggest thing is now the players EXPECT to win. The new coaching staff also ushered in a change in attitude, and, along with the new schemes, great motivational talents (coaches). So, now, these kids really believe that they will win every time they take the field. And, as we all know, that's half the battle.

JMO

JB

PNG
Your opinion is right on the money. You take a coaching staff like the one assembled at the reservation and mix in thousands of screaming fans and you have a "brush fire" for success. The coaches strike the match and light the fire before the opening kick off. Once the Indians take the field, the fans add fuel to the fire for 48 minutes. Put yourself in the cleats of an 18yo athlete with that kind of support; on that stage. Take a look at my "A Bold Prediction" thread.

bandkid

Staff member
It all started on the football field. There's no doubt about it. Coach Faircloth pumped the football team up, and they went out and won the first game, and that fired up the rest of the school. I don't mean to be arrogant, but in my opinion, PN-G is just about unstoppable in virtually every field right now - academics, athletics, performing arts, everything. I don't think there has been a single competition since school started where a group of Indians participated and didn't come out on top or somewhere very close.

Talk about that "Tradition of Excellence."

badndn

500+ Posts
Really how big of a turnaround is it? In 2007 8-4 and a hard fought loss to Lamar Cons (when on to win state) and Quiz Rogers, which you guys in Nederland no all about! Last year we were in each game. No real blow outs. I think the biggest thing is the kids believe in the staff. They know that the hard work and preperation each week is legit.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Everything mentioned above... Coaching, new schemes and the re-establishment of a spirit and belief that has always been a part of Indian football.

PN-G has gone from a tough but predictable opponent to a dangerous and unpredictable team.

NDN79

500+ Posts
I think that all of your posts together touch on what the difference is. For me though, being unpredictable is the key. The other teams we are playing can't really adjust and figure us out. As a fan it is great being surprised by the different schemes and plays being called. Whatever you want to attribute the change to, it has been amazing and I hope it continues untill Christmas time!! :clap:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Another great change in the 2009 Indians is that they're two deep in just about every position. The defensive line can easily be rotated out and loses no ability. They have plugged in new players on the offensive line several time this year. And there are a stable of backs and receivers that can be productive.
That has not happened in recent years. I have to believe that it wasn't because the players are that much better this season. The new coaching staff has developed and motivated the entire team. And allowed many players to play a part. That is a tremendous upside for the football program.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Another great change in the 2009 Indians is that they're two deep in just about every position. The defensive line can easily be rotated out and loses no ability. They have plugged in new players on the offensive line several time this year. And there are a stable of backs and receivers that can be productive.
That has not happened in recent years. I have to believe that it wasn't because the players are that much better this season. The new coaching staff has developed and motivated the entire team. And allowed many players to play a part. That is a tremendous upside for the football program.

Agree 100% IndianFan. I think that is a key factor that many coaches don't believe in and don't do unless they are forced to (by reason of injuries, ineligibility, etc.). 2nd/3rd string players get their practice but not the intensity of a game. Coach Faircloth seems to really have his kids as his heartbeat.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
NDN79 said:
I think that all of your posts together touch on what the difference is. For me though, being unpredictable is the key. The other teams we are playing can't really adjust and figure us out. As a fan it is great being surprised by the different schemes and plays being called. Whatever you want to attribute the change to, it has been amazing and I hope it continues untill Christmas time!! :clap:

Yeah, being a Yankee I'd sure like to see some COLD weather, holiday season games. ;D

NDN79

500+ Posts
Yankeedawg, I hope we are all singing Christmas Carols together in the play-offs wearing our winter purple!!W hat a great Christmas present that would be for ALL OF US!! :clap: :clap:

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
Xcrystalbeachbum said:
Playing six out of seven games at home doesn't hurt either. :crazy:

Homefield advantage is nice...but it doesn't WIN games. Hard work, good, smart coaching, mental and physical preparation and the kids' desire to win is what wins games.

Just my
images

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Home field didn't matter at Livingston.

Nope, it didn't! I think this team wants to show everyone we are for real, and they will play just as hard if not harder when we're away!

I feel some revenge coming for the "little engine that couldn't"!!!

nissanindian

100+ Posts
central vs png will probally be the best game anyone has seen in a long long time but as coach faircloth would say ........we dont play central this week we play lumberton.

Alpha06

PNG brings home field advantage every where we go! ive been to several away games where we have had more fans than the home team :rocks:

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
nissanindian said:
central vs png will probally be the best game anyone has seen in a long long time but as coach faircloth would say ........we dont play central this week we play lumberton.

Yep I noticed that, but I also noticed Lumberton ain't 4-0 in district .....

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores