Dayton Broncos @ Port Neches-Groves Indians

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Purple on purple. Dayton looks good on paper. They have had an interesting schedule. They have not played the better teams in district yet. They still have TC, FBM, and PNG.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

2022 DCTF Preview - Dayton Broncos​

Coach: Blake Ware. Lettermen R/L: 18/18. Starters returning O/D: 4/7. 2021: 2-8/1-6 district. Key losses: Camron Cooper (UT-San Antonio).

Players to watch: WR/DB Ashanti Allen (6-1, 180, 4.6), WR/DB C.J. Hubert (5-8, 170, 4.6), OL Alex Romero (5-11, 280), WR/CB Vernon Harrison (5-8, 165, 4.6), QB Carson Horton (6-2, 200, 4.8), DL Eric Rosales (6-0, 270).

Top juniors: OL Jacob Mercer (6-1, 200, 4.9), DB Jakari Cooper (5-10, 170, 4.8). Top sophomore: LB Andrew Soliz (6-0, 200, 4.9).

Other prospects: WR/DB Braylen Cook, LB Jaxon Day, RB/DB Holden Campbell, RB/LB Lucas Johnson, OL Mathew DeHoyos, WR Caleb Ramirez, OL/DL Donahvan Thibodeaux.

2022 notes: After winning just one game the past three seasons, progress was made in Dayton in 2021 as the Broncos picked up two wins, but there were more signs of progress in Ware’s second season as DHS played a couple of district powers within a touchdown. Two-way WR/DBs Allen (42 tackles, 2 INTs), Hubert (38 tackles, 3 INTs) and Harrison (23-295, 2 TDs receiving; 550 yards 3 TDs rushing; 52 tackles, 1 INT) are dynamic playmakers who Ware says will contribute on both sides of the ball. In the trenches, OL Romero is an anchor on the offensive line after earning all-district honors and on the defensive line Rosales leads the way. “We expect to improve drastically in every aspect,” said Ware.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Should be a great game and PNG takes this one too. It's always great to beat Dayton!

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
You have to respect what Daytons done on the field. The thing is they have not play but one team that could be the caliber of team these Indians are.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I wasn’t too sure what to think about Dayton after they shut out Nederland. But the Dogs losing to Santa Fe 41-18 made it obvious that they’re just NOT good this year. However, Dayton is MUCH better for sure and will give us a fight but feeling confident the HOME team in PURPLE and WHITE will get the W! :)

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Line up and run behind PN-G's massive OL. Put the ball in the hands of #19, #33, #15, and #18. Let the PN-G OL flex its muscle the way they did in the 2nd half vs WO-S. No mistakes on ST, maybe get another big play or two from the ST kids, and on defense, let the DC do his thing...he will put the Indian defenders in the right position to make stops. If the Indians tackle well, like they have been doing since game 2, PN-G will be fine. Dayton has good kids and coaching. They will hit some big plays. That's OK. It's high school football. That said, if PN-G will follow the DC's game plan, the Indians will make enough stops to win the game. I think it all adds up to another PN-G W. Go Indians.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Dayton looking to get back go their old ways against us, when we could never seem to get over the hump against them. We need to make sure that does not happen. We cannot afford to make the mistakes we have made in many games this year against them, and we need improvements in the passing game for both this game and to avert an early exit in the playoffs. We seem to making some progress in the first area, but I am still waiting to see progress in the second. No better time than the present!!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
History
1931 Dayton 6, Port Neches 0
1932 Port Neches 7, Dayton 0
1933 Port Neches 0, Dayton 0
1934 Port Neches 14, Dayton 0
1935 Port Neches 20, Dayton 0
1938 Port Neches 20, Dayton 6
1939 Dayton 7, Port Neches 6
1940 Port Neches 28, Dayton 12
1941 Dayton 6, Port Neches 0
1946 Port Neches 38, Dayton 0
1998 Dayton 45, PN-G 24
2006 Dayton 33, PN-G 2
2007 Dayton 40, PN-G 7
2011 Dayton 36, PN-G 31
2014 Dayton 56, PN-G 44
2015 PN-G 42, Dayton 41
2018 PN-G 44, Dayton 37
2019 PN-G 51, Dayton 14
2020 PN-G 42, Dayton 20
2021 PN-G 42, Dayton 35

PN-G leads series 12-8-1

100+ Posts
The defense was aggressive and running lots of stunts against TC, and got burned a couple times, especially by their reverse and razzledazzle plays. Against WR it seemed like more of a read type defense. Our defense came up with big plays in both games, and STs also. It'll be interesting to see how they play Dayton, which appears to run a balanced offense. As far as the PNG passing game, it's coming together I think. QB obviously has a great arm, lots of good receivers, and he doesn't telegraph his passes.
Overall there's been numerous injuries but the backups have played well. At least one of the Sr linebackers may return this week. I didn't notice who else was suited up but didn't play against WR.
Neither Dayton nor PNG is taking the other too lightly.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The defense has stopped a large number of plays for no gain or negative yards this season. And intercepted passes are way up. I don’t remember seeing that for a while.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Another aspect to remember is this offense is different by design. It appears to be intentional to establish the running game and manage the clock differently than in the past. That also ultimately benefits the defense. The best NFL and NCAA teams also look to be strong running teams. In addition the Indians have outstanding weapons in the passing game to utilize once they force a defense to stop the run. It’s just not clicking yet like it can. When it does, anything is possible. Shea Adams, Chance Prosperie and Cole Crippen can play elite ball. Adams is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Prosperie can beat any defensive back. Landon Guarnere can also be an incredible deep threat.

NHSBulldogFan

Nederland has problems all over this year. They had alot of turnovers that gave Dayton short field. Nederlands worse team since like 2005
Nederland fan here...forget 2005 atleast we made the playoffs that year this is our worst team since 1991 IMO now I will say our defense is undersized but decent the points we have given up has been exasperated by our offense turning the ball over so many times and often in our own territory. Years that we have been PN-G we had the best player on the field, this year ain't it we have a bunch of guys that IMO are average to below average. I'll finish with this anything can happen in Mid County Madness but as it sits right now I expect the Indians to win by several TDs

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores