Dayton Broncos @ Port Neches-Groves Indians

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I'd also like to see replays of some of the ball spots. Especially the pass reception made right on the first down marker. The receiver wasn't knocked out of bounds, he stepped out of bounds, at what appeared to be just past the marker.

I like seeing #18 getting the ball thrown his way more, we seem to win when that happens. Also, our kicker is a good kicker, and he got us some needed points when the offense couldn't seem to score. The one that sailed wide would have possibly won the game. You never know, of course. But anyway, I'm just so glad that we won, and have that one behind us. I don't think it's as big a factor as it used to be, but still, I don't like homecoming games.
Based on where he caught the ball, his body lean and where he stepped out, it sure looked like enough for the first down. Plus if you notice where they placed the ball for Dayton to take over, it was beyond the first down spot. Sure seems like a bad call.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I thought this was a team game.
The o-line crushed daytons defensive line on those last 2 runs. On the first run Adams was hit and tripped up at the 6. He got the ball to the 2 regardless as he was going down. On the td run he went up, over and through a mass of humanity. A 6-5” player that can run and move like he can is a rarity in high school football and a lot of fun to watch.

1990NDN

The biggest take away for me for this game was Crippen played a lot different than he has been. He was stepping up in the pocket and making throws. It looked like he had some confidence back. I think it's the best game he's played so far and it was great to see. He's such a talented arm. I think if he continues to play like he did last night he'll settle in and the accuracy will begin to fall in line. Second kudos for me was Chance Prosperie. If you go back and look at the play late where he had the diving catch...the route he ran was incredible. It wasn't a busted coverage. The move he put on the DB to fake the out route was sick. I've said it all along. Prosperie is a D1 level receiver. Next up... defense...these kids don't get their names mentioned near enough but they are fun to watch and all year have stepped up and made plays when it counts. It's so fun to watch this high motor defense get after it. True PNG never back down, no fear defense! They leave it all on the field and have carried the offense keeping them in games all year long. Kudos to the PNG D.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
On a side note... I wonder if the PA News will use the word Indians this week?

#ScalpEm
Depends on who writes the article. Not all local sportswriters have that hangup or personal agenda.

I recently heard a comment during an MLB baseball show referring to the ‘Guardians’ as “The team formerly known as the Cleveland Indians…”. He said the word despite the plan to suppress it.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest take away for me for this game was Crippen played a lot different than he has been. He was stepping up in the pocket and making throws. It looked like he had some confidence back. I think it's the best game he's played so far and it was great to see. He's such a talented arm. I think if he continues to play like he did last night he'll settle in and the accuracy will begin to fall in line. Second kudos for me was Chance Prosperie. If you go back and look at the play late where he had the diving catch...the route he ran was incredible. It wasn't a busted coverage. The move he put on the DB to fake the out route was sick. I've said it all along. Prosperie is a D1 level receiver. Next up... defense...these kids don't get their names mentioned near enough but they are fun to watch and all year have stepped up and made plays when it counts. It's so fun to watch this high motor defense get after it. True PNG never back down, no fear defense! They leave it all on the field and have carried the offense keeping them in games all year long. Kudos to the PNG D.
Crippen still has the ability and flashes it. Maybe he’ll settle down for the remainder of the season. Offensive line can help him by holding blocks longer on pass protection.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Crippen played really well in the first half. He made pinpoint throws. In the second half, he lost his mojo, but you're right, he stepped up in the pocket with confidence. In the second half, he was just a tad off. Some overthrows (on two of the long balls) and then a few that came up short (on the flares and bubble screens). Did a nice job of throwing the ball away when nothing was open. When he's on, he can sling it. He threw for 3,000 yards last year and that did not happen by accident. He has the talent. When he gets out of his mojo, we need the QB coach to hit the reset button with him. We don't need the QB coach to mess with his mechanics or skill set. Just need him to keep Crippen's mojo flowing. When he's on target, he's really good.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
4th down play that was called short of the first down marker. Notice where the location of the the first down marker. Notice the ball position in his arms when he is shoved out and the ball position when they place it on the field afterward. Watch the position of the back marker when they bring it out for the measurement and when it is put down for the measurement. You be the judge.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I'm just glad PNG won. I'd like to see the replay of Dayton's last touchdown, if I can find it somewhere.
Dayton's last TD run. Slight mix up by linebacker and he didn't try to make the tackle. Indians have a sophomore and junior playing middle linebacker these days. They have done a great job.

100+ Posts
Dayton's last TD run. Slight mix up by linebacker and he didn't try to make the tackle. Indians have a sophomore and junior playing middle linebacker these days. They have done a great job.

Yes they have. Both are very aggressive players and they're going to get better and better. They got burned once in the TC game, and once or twice last night. Willow Ridge was a cake walk.
Looking at the clip, it looks like two guys were tackling the first guy through, and others apparently thought they had the runner wrapped up also. Anyway, the D did well overall, and the O did good enough to win. I haven't seen any stats, but for the most part the QB looked sharp, especially down to the wire. People in the bleachers yell "throw it!" when they see a receiver open; but it looks entirely different when you're on the field. If he can't get the throw off in time then it's just too late for the initial route, and then he's on his on, pretty much.

I'm thinking that everyone will get playing time in the next 3 games; but don't overlook Santa Fe. After Santa Fe and going forward, all of the senior starters will hopefully be well, and able to finish up their senior season. Except for Reed, unfortunately, I presume he's out for the season.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It was a safety and linebacker. Both PN-G players hit Dayton’s pulling left tackle who was out there to block. #2 took on the block and #26 tackled him. Runner had a clean lane to the end zone.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
On a side note... I wonder if the PA News will use the word Indians this week?

#ScalpEm

Now they're messing with us fans. "The Port Neches-Groves.... ?". ;) Just a typo. That writer had all the keys on his keyboard including the I,N,D,A and S keys.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member

bandkid

Staff member
Now they're messing with us fans. "The Port Neches-Groves.... ?". ;) Just a typo. That writer had all the keys on his keyboard including the I,N,D,A and S keys.

They used the team name several times later on the article.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The o-line crushed daytons defensive line on those last 2 runs. On the first run Adams was hit and tripped up at the 6. He got the ball to the 2 regardless as he was going down. On the td run he went up, over and through a mass of humanity. A 6-5” player that can run and move like he can is a rarity in high school football and a lot of fun to watch.
It ended up not mattering but I’ll call it as it looks. Bad call. Even with the camera angle it sure looks like the ball was beyond the marker. Forward progress was enough for the first down.

6DE0EBA5-0B52-4AF5-92A4-C933BBC5569B.jpeg

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores