Donation to honor Steve Nolen nets wood lockers for PN-G players

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Donation to honor Steve Nolen nets wood lockers for PN-G players

The Port Arthur News

By Darragh Doiron

The News staff writer

Coach Branden Faircloth said he was already sitting down when he got the news that made him jump out of his chair.

He’d heard a memorial contribution was coming to his Port Neches-Groves High School football players, but he couldn’t have imagined how generous it would be.

Eilene Patricia Nolen, who died recently, willed about $97,000 in honor of her late son, Steve. The Port Neches-Groves Independent School District on Wednesday approved using about $60,660 of that money on wooden lockers for the varsity football team. The rest of the money could go to the girls athletic department or distributed for other sports uses, as the board discussed.

Steve Nolen, who died in a traffic accident shortly after his 1983 graduation from Port Neches-Groves High School, where he played football.

Laura Shipman, who attended the meeting, said she graduated with Nolen and remembered him as being a “tremendous athlete” and “well-liked by everyone.”

Faircloth said someone representing Eilene Nolen’s estate told him about the will in the spring, but didn’t mention the amount. He said that when he called to check up, he got the news of the size of the donation.

The high school this season debuted a new stadium and the field house is currently getting an upgrade, as is the team room. Faircloth said he’d already purchased paint to dress up the current lockers, but now varsity players will get red oak lockers. A plaque will honor Nolen, he said.

“We’ll make as big a one as we can,” Faircloth said.

Eilene Patricia Nolen, nee Cordes, died unexpectedly on April 1. She was born in North Dakota and lived in the area since 1959. She worked 26 years in the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department Correction System.

ddoiron@panews.com

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
That's tremendous news. Even when new those lockers were less than ideal.

lockerroom.jpg

NDNband69

500+ Posts
WOW! What a wonderful gesture by the Nolen family. The varsity locker room will now match any top program in the state.....high school or college.

This link is to what Lake Travis has. http://www.floridalockers.com/images/projects/Lake_Travis_HS_Austin/project_photos_fullview_Lake_Travis_High_School.htm

And how about Delta State. http://www.floridalockers.com/projects_delta_state.htm

As we heard earlier......."everything has changed".

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I have an idea of what to do with this windfall for Mrs. Nolen that she intended to be used on our football program. I heard today (someone please enlighten me if I was told wrongly) that our football athletes are now required to purchase their own letter jackets. In the glory days of the 70's, the school bought the jackets and patches (if applicable) for the boys and parents sewed on the patches onto the jackets. To letter in football is such an honor and deserves being recognized. I think its a shame if there are boys whose parents couldn't afford to purchase them a letter jacket. I think the school should buy these every year for every player that letters. It developes pride in the players and encourages other young men to play football.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that ol' Robin Hood has something to do with all of that too. That sux.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Indian99 said:
I had to buy my own letter jacket in 1998.
That is so sad. I was hoping I was told wrong. In the 70's and 80's the school furnished them. I was also upset when I found out that the school district does not provide a hot meal for the players when they have to travel to away games. Someone said I should be glad they get a cold sandwich. All this just doesn't feel right to me. Being an Indian is such an honor and should be rewarded as such, in my opinion.

bandkid

Staff member
squaw said:
Indian99 said:
I had to buy my own letter jacket in 1998.
That is so sad. I was hoping I was told wrong. In the 70's and 80's the school furnished them. I was also upset when I found out that the school district does not provide a hot meal for the players when they have to travel to away games. Someone said I should be glad they get a cold sandwich. All this just doesn't feel right to me. Being an Indian is such an honor and should be rewarded as such, in my opinion.

They did the same thing to us with the meals. Half of the time, we don't even get the sandwich. Budget cuts have ripped out most of the luxuries.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This is happening all over the state. Programs, classes, teachers and other staff are being reduced. Letter jackets and hot meals for athletes are the least of the concerns.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
My daughter letterd this year in two sports, and the school paid for the jacket, PNG logo, and one letter on patch.

badndn

500+ Posts
My daughter was fed on away trips last year as well. I think she said they had Chick-Fila when they went to Lumberton or Beaumont.

bandkid

Staff member
The entire time I've been in band, the school has fed us once. Our booster club, the BAC, has fed us several times, but the school itself has fed us once. We do still get our letter jackets, though.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
the softball team was fed twice; after the Livingston game in Livingston and after playoff game in Barbers Hill. They also were fed while away at tournaments. I am not sure who paid for meals, softball coach or school, because the girls sold signs prior to season to raise funds for softball.

Indian99

500+ Posts
Coach Burnett fed us pizza every Thursday during our athletic period throughout the playoffs in '99. I guess it helped!

NONS81

I was going to say...I know the boys got pizza every Thursday, because they used to taunt the softball girls while they were running stands. lol

I remember Steve, he was a good guy and is sorely missed. What a great rememberance.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores