Doty comfy as PN-G opens spring drills

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
April 21, 2010

Doty comfy as PN-G opens spring drills
Tom Halliburton
The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES — PORT NECHES -- He was just a big, tall, nice sophomore a year ago whose head was beginning to be filled with dozens of plays.

What a difference a year makes for Brennan Doty, the senior-to-be, with one full outstanding varsity season behind him as Port Neches-Groves quarterback.

A brand-new Indians chief with a history of developing QBs, Brandon Faircloth got a hold of Doty a year ago. The two clicked very well and PN-G's return to state football prominence followed 11 victories later.

Faircloth was doing great at learning everyone's names and faces a year ago. Some of his varsity assistants had not even arrived on The Reservation.

The whole process starts again today at 2 p.m., following an off-season strength-and-conditioning program. Faircloth and his coaches obviously have no intention of changing anything. Right?

Wrong. Very wrong. Any Indians fans who think things shall stay the same -- they simply don't know coach Faircloth well enough yet.

"We will change about 30 percent of our offense every year," Faircloth said. "We will add and subtract stuff with each new group."

Doty already knows one significant change exists from last year at his own position. Travis Miller will be the backup quarterback. Last year's backup, Matt Desmond, definitely will be around for some quarterback duties, but Desmond is going to catch Doty's passes and line up all sorts of places, like H-back.

"We're going to try to leave Matthew (Desmond) on the field all the time," the Indians chief said.

Doty will have the priceless benefit of a year's experience, but the 6-3 junior will have a different scheme and a much different monitoring system.

PN-G's coaches intend to implement some of Auburn's offensive schemes and some of Air Force's defensive schemes into the 2010 season.

"Last spring I got to get a feel for the speed and quickness of the varsity game," Doty said. "We will have a lot of the same practices with all the reps we do in the fall."

Faircloth definitely sees a pronounced change in working with Doty. Brennan knows the plays so much better now that his coach and student can focus more on the fine-tuning of details. Those fundamental matters such as footwork, blitzes, maintaining smooth mechanics -- it all should be far more advanced now.

Faircloth and his staff return approximately six starters on offense and four on defense, although many other returnees were valuable contributors in many down-and-distance situations on both sides of the ball, as well as on special teams.

The Indians chief sees lots of job opportunity available in the secondary, at the linebackers and at the wide receiver areas.

A 4A bidistrict champion, a District 20-4A champion and a remarkable story in the 2009 Golden Triangle football landscape, PN-G certainly will not have the benefit of seven home games again. But the Indians will have one of the most crucial assets in high school football. They have a quarterback with experience and a mighty good one.

Doty sounds more like a first-teamer and a future senior this spring. He said he considered it a major part of his job to lead Travis Miller by example.

"I'm looking forward to trying to repeat," he said. "Coach Faircloth did a great job with us, but it's going to help us a lot more in the spring by knowing who can play."

Faircloth listed four goals for the spring sessions which wraps up with a May 21 spring game:

1. Improve fundamentals

2. Evaluate personnel (to get the best 22 players on the field)

3. Evaluate schemes (make sure to have players where they should be)

4. Stay healthy

SPRING FOOTBALL

PRACTICE DATES

PN-G: Starts today at 2 p.m.

Spring game: May 21, 7:30 p.m.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Thought there would be more dicussion about spring practice. I attended day one for about a hour, within the first 15 mins of practice they were getting it on in the bull pin. The offensive and defensive lines looked big. We look to need some work at the receiving position and seem to lack some size in that area, but we do have several months to go so no panic the coaches will have them ready. Doty and Miller are some tall kids. Doty looked sharp and Miller seems to need work with his release.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Somebody needs to recruit the Richards kid to play WR. He would win every down against a DB. Carzan, can you help with that? ;D

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Justafan said:
Thought there would be more dicussion about spring practice. I attended day one for about a hour, within the first 15 mins of practice they were getting it on in the bull pin. The offensive and defensive lines looked big. We look to need some work at the receiving position and seem to lack some size in that area, but we do have several months to go so no panic the coaches will have them ready. Doty and Miller are some tall kids. Doty looked sharp and Miller seems to need work with his release.

Where IS the football discussion? The Indian Nation across the U.S. depends on local fans to step up and share info and news.

lu cards

100+ Posts
ive only been to watch the jv and it was shorts and shoulder pads so it was hard to get good read.one thing concerns me is we only have one jv qb and he is hurt(can throw but no contact till fall).faircloth is throwing the ball for them some.we normally have several kids competing for playing time.wonder whats going on?how can you have a spring game with no qb?

NDNband69

500+ Posts
Varsity Practice review:
As justafan said about the first practice, way to many dropped passes. Open, easy passes just dropped. And Coach Faircloth let the team know it ! ! ! ! By the third practice it looked like a different team. Dropped passes were rare. The offense can move the ball on the ground or by air. Monday's practice was full speed, full contact. Offense wins some, defense wins some. It's encouraging to see the running back in a spot for no gain then after contact the pile moves forward. Receivers are also getting yards after contact. It looks like we will score on offense......if we are doing that this early......I like our chances. The coaches are doing a fabulous job of pushing our kids. Doty looks like Doty. Miller just needs more time to work with his receivers. On one play Miller rolled out to pass, saw an opening and took off for about 20 yards. Pretty fast for a big kid.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Somebody needs to recruit the Richards kid to play WR. He would win every down against a DB. Carzan, can you help with that? ;D

I think Carzan Hibernates after basketball season.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
NDNband69 said:
Varsity Practice review:
As justafan said about the first practice, way to many dropped passes. Open, easy passes just dropped. And Coach Faircloth let the team know it ! ! ! ! By the third practice it looked like a different team. Dropped passes were rare. The offense can move the ball on the ground or by air. Monday's practice was full speed, full contact. Offense wins some, defense wins some. It's encouraging to see the running back in a spot for no gain then after contact the pile moves forward. Receivers are also getting yards after contact. It looks like we will score on offense......if we are doing that this early......I like our chances. The coaches are doing a fabulous job of pushing our kids. Doty looks like Doty. Miller just needs more time to work with his receivers. On one play Miller rolled out to pass, saw an opening and took off for about 20 yards. Pretty fast for a big kid.

Taken any pictures?

NDNband69

500+ Posts
Some from the first practice.

Running drill.
DSCF8822.jpg

Passing drills.
DSCF8827.jpg

DSCF8831.jpg

Coach Faircloth speaks to team after practice. He was not happy with the practice.
DSCF8835.jpg

badndn

500+ Posts
NDNband69 said:
Miller just needs more time to work with his receivers. On one play Miller rolled out to pass, saw an opening and took off for about 20 yards. Pretty fast for a big kid.

Yes he has good straight line speed for a 6'4" or 6'5" kid. Saw him run away from defenders several times on JV last year. Only problem is that Faircloth doesn't want him running! He kept telling him he was not a RB. Wanted him to stay in the pocket and go through his progression. I am sure getting extra time this year with Coach will help.

Any suprises as far as kids changing positions? I heard St. Claire was going to defense??

PNG321

badndn said:
NDNband69 said:
Miller just needs more time to work with his receivers. On one play Miller rolled out to pass, saw an opening and took off for about 20 yards. Pretty fast for a big kid.

Yes he has good straight line speed for a 6'4" or 6'5" kid. Saw him run away from defenders several times on JV last year. Only problem is that Faircloth doesn't want him running! He kept telling him he was not a RB. Wanted him to stay in the pocket and go through his progression. I am sure getting extra time this year with Coach will help.

Any suprises as far as kids changing positions? I heard St. Claire was going to defense??

You are correct extra time with the Coach will sure help. I heard Desmond will be full back - he has a pulled groin/hernia he is recovery from is not at practice now but should be back a couple of weeks before the spring purple and white game. St. Claire is on defense this year. Looks like an awesome offensive and defensive line again this year.

PNG321

badndn said:
Lunceford
Langlois
Braud
Parks
Nicotre
Returning OLinemen.
Anyone else on the Oline looking good?

Same guys you have mentioned are on the Oline nobody different. Oline looking really good and strong.

NDNband69

500+ Posts
Monday practice report:

Toward the end of each practice is a simulated game. First team O against first team D, second team O against second team D. For about the first three or four series the DEFENSES DOMINATED! Passes batted down, runs for little or no gain, receivers hit hard as the ball reached them, mostly falling incomplete. The Defenses were PUMPED! Then the offenses settled down and began to move the ball consistently both on the ground and air. Each team O's retaliated and scored. The hitting out there is intense.

I hope all the regulars that attend the practices noted the schedule change posted today on this site. We left thinking this weeks practices would be M, W, F, Sat. A post earlier today said M, T, W, Sat.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores