FINAL: PN-G 42, Liberty Hill 14

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
That, and 2 injured Liberty Hill RB's who've gained over 3,000 between them watching from the sidelines. Let's be realistic. LH was not at full strength.
Realistically PN-G would have beat them anyway. LH may have scored a couple more times with their other backs but no guarantee. PN-G figured out their offense. Other than the long TD run and 3 other decent runs, LH averaged about 3 yards per carry. The reason being the Indians dominated the line of scrimmage, played great assignment football, and swarmed to the ball. This is a very good defense who added a Panther skin to their existing collection of high powered buffalo hides and Jaguar pelts. Throw in some good ball control offense and LH was not going to outscore us. And the Indians were only a few ifs and could haves from scoring 63 points in that game.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Actually I'm guilty of the same thought pattern. It just seemed that the 3rrd round was the best that we could hope for. I'm HAPPILY wrong about that!
The thought did cross my mind, but I was always skeptical about it. In reality, the major metropolitan areas have had an advantage for many, many decades, although the extent of that advantage has probably grown in recent years. However, PNG and other area schools have always been able to overcome that advantage from time to time (looks like about a 20 year schedule for PNG), and there is no good reason to believe this will not continue. What it does mean is that area teams need every advantage they can get, and it seems proven to me at this point that the most important advantage involves coaching.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member

prepballfan

Staff member
There is a certain poster who keeps taking this wonderful discussion board to a negative light. If you keep doing this you will lose your privilege to post here. Please all of you good posters this is in no way towards you. I am sick of a certain type of posts that trash other posters and coaches.

prepballfan

Staff member
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m just gonna say this if you wanna be a part of history, Friday might be a good night to come out to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UILState?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#UILState</a> <br>The state attendance record MAY have a chance of being broken especially if PNG shows up like they are capable of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/txhsfb?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#txhsfb</a></p>&mdash; Matt Stepp (@Matt_Stepp817) <a href=" ">December 11, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
There is a certain poster who keeps taking this wonderful discussion board to a negative light. If you keep doing this you will lose your privilege to post here. Please all of you good posters this is in no way towards you. I am sick of a certain type of posts that trash other posters and coaches.
A person was banned a week or two ago for continued, negative comments. I’ve started deleting posts from another user.

Everyone is welcome here and this is not a place that has ever tried to control dialog. BUT….This is a time to be positive and grateful. No negative posts motivated by some personal grind or agenda will be allowed to taint this special time. To those negative minded people I plead that you support your 2022 Indian coaches and players. If you can’t then save it for your neighbor across the fence and vent there. Not in a public forum. We are proud of this team and everything the coaching staff has done to prepare them. And win or lose Friday, just like last season and seasons before, nothing will ever change that.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Realistically PN-G would have beat them anyway. LH may have scored a couple more times with their other backs but no guarantee. PN-G figured out their offense. Other than the long TD run and 3 other decent runs, LH averaged about 3 yards per carry. The reason being the Indians dominated the line of scrimmage, played great assignment football, and swarmed to the ball. This is a very good defense who added a Panther skin to their existing collection of high powered buffalo hides and Jaguar pelts. Throw in some good ball control offense and LH was not going to outscore us. And the Indians were only a few ifs and could haves from scoring 63 points in that game.
1670892835062.png

1310TheTicket

Ill say it again. If you pay for the Bmt Ent dump them. They call us the PNG Football team. They are a very one-sided political newspaper. They are trash.
I went back and read some of their articles online after you mentioned that. Interesting... they have no problem calling LH the Panthers, or FBM the Buffalos, numerous times. Not ONE mention of 'Indians' anywhere.

Emailed the sports editor to see if it was their policy to ban the word. Never responded. Tried to call. Wont respond to that either. Effing pathetic. Woke POS.

bandkid

Staff member
I went back and read some of their articles online after you mentioned that. Interesting... they have no problem calling LH the Panthers, or FBM the Buffalos, numerous times. Not ONE mention of 'Indians' anywhere.

Emailed the sports editor to see if it was their policy to ban the word. Never responded. Tried to call. Wont respond to that either. Effing pathetic. Woke POS.
The Beaumont Enterprise made it their mission to force PN-G to change mascots for a while. The sports editor wrote columns calling on the school district to do so, and basically mocked the community for admonitions about tradition. The final straw was when the paper’s cartoonist put out a political cartoon characterizing everyone in town as small-minded.

I am personally still furious at how one-sided the coverage was, particularly their outright refusal to mention the lead community activist calling the mascot racist tried out to be the Indian Spirit and lost the election when he was in high school. There was no attempt to research or contextualize PN-G’s traditions, either, despite ample material to work with. It was muckraking, plain and simple.

There was a drive, at the time, for people in Mid-County to cancel Enterprise subscriptions. It was devastatingly effective - and if they ever start up the woke coverage again, people will start calling for cancelled subscriptions again.

The sports editor’s refusal to use the team name ever since is, in a word, butthurt.

Last edited:

1310TheTicket

The Beaumont Enterprise made it their mission to force PN-G to change mascots for a while. The sports editor wrote columns calling on the school district to do so, and basically mocked the community for admonitions about tradition. The final straw was when the paper’s cartoonist put out a political cartoon characterizing everyone in town as small-minded.

I am personally still furious at how one-sided the coverage was, particularly their outright refusal to mention the lead community activist calling the mascot racist tried out to be the Indian Spirit and lost the election when he was in high school. There was no attempt to research or contextualize PN-G’s traditions, either, despite ample material to work with. It was muckraking, plain and simple.

There was a drive, at the time, for people in Mid-County to cancel Enterprise subscriptions. It was devastatingly effective - and if they ever start up the woke coverage again, I’ll start calling for cancelled subscriptions again.

The sports editor’s refusal to use the team name ever since is, in a word, butthurt.

Well well well... a 2nd email struck a nerve. After reading your response I basically called him a woke POS and let him know I got my parents to dump their paper. All 9 pages of it. LMAO! Grab your popcorn.....................

Hello (1310TheTicket),

I’m a little disheartened by your second email and how you’ve chosen to respond.

First, it is not the Enterprise’s “mission” to “force” PNG to change its mascot, nor have I ever written a column that called for PNG to do so. We have, however, covered the story of the Cherokee Nation repeatedly asking PNG to change the name, most recently coming at the school’s Disney performance earlier this year.

Here’s a link to that story: https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Disney-regrets-PN-G-performance-17012480.php

By the way, just about every local and Houston media outlet covered that story…

The Enterprise has a policy not to use or publish any racially insensitive language as part of our coverage. We have deemed, as many others have, that the term “Indians” falls into the racially insensitive language category. While I agree with that decision, it was not in any way, shape or form made by me.

I’m unaware of any drive by Mid-County readers to cancel subscriptions. We weren’t “devastated” by any such drive. Quite the opposite actually. Port Neches-Groves’ playoff run to state has brought great readership numbers to our website.

I hope you have enjoyed following along with our sports coverage regarding PNG. We have treated PNG’s playoff run as a top priority and will continue to do so in Dallas on Friday. PNG has a very passionate fanbase and I do admire that about them.

Feel free to share this response on whatever the “PNG website” is.

Matt Faye

Sports Editor, Beaumont Enterprise

bandkid

Staff member
Oh, he didn’t write that column, did he? Let’s check the receipts.

This column is what inspired the first effort to cancel subscriptions in Mid-County last summer. The second big push came earlier this year after the political cartoon. And regardless of what he says, I have it from other friends in SETX media that the subscription cancellations did hurt.

Last edited:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores