How well do Our 2010 Indians stack up to the 1999 State Finalist offensively???

bark

1,000+ Posts
1989ndn good post - gotta put the hardware in the trophy case to join the club.

When Richey came in the huddle and said "we need 3" or whatever you knew we were going to get it. The confidence he had was awesome. Like I said about Long it is hard to beat a qb coach combo that is Father and son. Long and Richey had it and you could tell they were born to be QB's and tutored by 2 of the best. Richey would stay after practice and throw countless balls on his knees to increase arm strength. Both D1 players. Rich at Tech and Long at A&M/SHSU. Richey could have played at Tech but there was this guy named Hart -kin to the QB Jim Hart of the St. Louis Cardinals who came in and started a couple of years.

Not to take anything from any team but like I posted before - look at the banner at the top of this site.

png tribe

100+ Posts
Each one of those team's had a kicker. Price made some big kick's! This year we do not have a kicking game and it has really hurt our offense at time's.

PNGNDN1

Your right on the 98 99 WOS games. How bout 89, when Big D (Danny Malone) pulled out every trick in the book. Where do you think the Tennessee Titans got the Homerun throwback? LOL...... Trick play on sideline play to Thad Gordon. Homerun Throwback to Ron Mcgill, Flanker reverses to Bryan Bost. WOS coming off of back to back state championships ranked #1 in the state, we were ranked #7 at the time both undefeated. That is the best game I have ever seen. Got beat on a bomb with 1 minute left in the game. Wrong coverage in the secondary. LH was in the wrong place and SD and BB couldn't get to him. Pissed us off all the way to 12 and 2....lol..... I read this site all the time and kinda laugh at all the KEYBOARD WARRIORS, but figured I would chime in on this one. Its all in fun. And your right, Richtie was a great QB, I would put him and Dustin 1 and 2 of all time. As far as running backs go I would say the last great one at PNG was Ron Mcgill. Caleb Harmon and Chase Bertand are helped by a good system with a good QB as well in Brennan Doty. But back then everyone in the state knew what was coming, PNG just always came harder than the rest............ But I will say the coaching back then was great, and Fairclothe and his staff are doing a great job as well. And Matt did a good job in the mid to late 90s as well. And if anyone argues that, they are football ignorant. What people do not understand is that a head coach is nothing but a organizer. His assistants need to be top notch to be great. And at this time I think that's exactly what we have. One last thought..... Bring back Banzai and lets get the kids in the stands back in the games...................................

PNGNDN1

One quick question for all. Back in 97 we had a back named Elkins. I believe his first name was Corey. He was the first back since Ron in 89 to rush for 1000 yards. Want to say this was Dustins Sophomore year. Thats about all we had that year was those two. My question is that I do not see his name on the all time rushing leaders. Now it might just be me but if you are going to compile a list like this on a web site, you better make darn sure you are accurate. Someone help me out on this one. This was a non playoff year and he got to 1000 his last game with noone in the stands..................

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PNGNDN1 said:
One quick question for all. Back in 97 we had a back named Elkins. I believe his first name was Corey. He was the first back since Ron in 89 to rush for 1000 yards. Want to say this was Dustins Sophomore year. Thats about all we had that year was those two. My question is that I do not see his name on the all time rushing leaders. Now it might just be me but if you are going to compile a list like this on a web site, you better make darn sure you are accurate. Someone help me out on this one. This was a non playoff year and he got to 1000 his last game with noone in the stands..................

I believe the all-time list kept on the www.pngindians.com website is an ongoing and continuing work in progress. Anyone with verified stats for former players, please submit them to the webmaster and he will re-verify the source of the stats and include all former players that should be recognized. Can you verify the stats for Elkins, i.e., old newspaper articles, yearbook notes/numbers, etc? The more input from fans, the better. Thanks for the info.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNGNDN1 said:

Note the following comment that has been at the top of that list since day 1.

This is not a complete list but represents many of the top season performances in PN-G football history.

I'd be more than happy to list every back that's ever gained a yard. You want to help find that information?

PNGNDN1

LOL. Take it easy. Just figured a kid that went over 1000 yards would be on the list. Not trying to be a smartass but just asking a question. And no I dont want to research it for you. If that was the case I would have my own website. Thanks though.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
PNGNDN1 said:
LOL. Take it easy. Just figured a kid that went over 1000 yards would be on the list. Not trying to be a smartass but just asking a question. And no I dont want to research it for you. If that was the case I would have my own website. Thanks though.
PNGndn1 was it 1989 when you played?

squaw

1,000+ Posts
PNGNDN1-You are right about that WOS game when Malone was coach here. The fans, both sides, stood up the entire game and that "swinging gate" play was awesome. It is my favorite game, #!, of 41 years of Indian football. #2 would be the year Larry Meyer was QB for TJ and beating us by 3 touchdowns until the Indians "got
serious" and beat them. #3 was the Schertz-Clemons game as I was crying so hard at the end of it because I though we lost. #4 Kashmere in the dome losing 21-0 at the halftime and came back and won it. Great games. We lost at WOS, but I have never been so proud of our in my life except when we beat Odessa Permian for the state championship in 1975.

PNGNDN1

O.K. Squaw.. Here you go. What about I think the 96 season Nederland game. Help me out here. Pouring down rain at Nederland. Troy Summrall was a junior I believe. He returned a punt and kickoff back for touchdowns in the first half. I think we where down about 2 or 3 touchdowns at the half. We walked through the runthrough after half, and I told my brother and buddy we are about to get out booty's destroyed. But they walked through because the were pissed off. We ended up just destroying them the second half in the pouring ran. Has to be a top 5 game....... Think it was 96. Prosperie, Capadonna year. We had a awesome defense that year.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
pngndn1 .............. that was the 96 mid-county madness game , pouring rain. you seem to have a real good memory of INDIAN football. i think the elkins player was Cody ? he did rush for 1000 yards. power runner ............... ran like a machine. i have enjoyed your comments about years past , keep it coming.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
PNGNDN1 said:
O.K. Squaw.. Here you go. What about I think the 96 season Nederland game. Help me out here. Pouring down rain at Nederland. Troy Summrall was a junior I believe. He returned a punt and kickoff back for touchdowns in the first half. I think we where down about 2 or 3 touchdowns at the half. We walked through the runthrough after half, and I told my brother and buddy we are about to get out asses destroyed. But they walked through because the were pissed off. We ended up just destroying them the second half in the pouring ran. Has to be a top 5 game....... Think it was 96. Prosperie, Capadonna year. We had a awesome defense that year.
That was a great game. Didn't Prosperie get hurt that game and McAfee(maybe, can't remember?) played most of the 2nd half and we won with a last second FG. That was a team I thought had a chance to go all the way. That Jacksonville game was a heartbreaker. It was the weekend before Thanksgiving and we left after the game and had to drive to visit family in West Texas...longest, most depressing ride ever. That defense was great and offense had more speed than I can ever remember at PNG. That was also the season of another great PNG game....Last game of the season against the best team Bridge City had since the Worster State Championship team. I think they jumped up on us 17-0 or 21-0 on some misdirection plays where nobody knew were the ball was until the RB was 20 yds into the secondary. Our defense settled down and we made a second half comeback. Prosperie scored on a QB sneak at the very end of the game to win it. That was another game that the weather had been bad during the week and supposedly the BC coach had the field watered to try to slow down our offense.

redindian84

i still dont quite understand the folks in pn-g, when it comes to acknowledging the ex-players. we have names in this community that go generation deep and are known for being gifted at football. the gohlkes, the cooks, the hemmings the wrights the begnauds the tatums. tezenos barnetts. burnetts even. and we only mention certain people. and all of these guys played under burnett but what im getting at is that they were all put in the situaton and all of them had more athletic talent than any kids ive seen this year last year and 99. a 210 pound josh cook has the record for longest run 99 yards. derek gohlke had he not gotten in trouble had more offers to colleges than any kid ive seen out of this school besides dustin. chris gohlke was a phenom also . jake hemmings had amazing versatility for a 220 pound 6 foot 2 runner and was very fast. brandon begnaud ran a 4.4 and made amazing moves. kenneth tezeno and josh wright tied the school record together with a 4.39 40 before faircloth got rid of the records. dk why that happened. drew barnett had the longest run of the year his senior year. clint burnett was atackling machine like his pops. and what im getting at is that if were going to mention the past and who was better.. lets expand and use our memories. put any of those guys in this offense and take what they did in the split back offense with leser coaching and give give them to faircloth and there are 6 or 7 records broken by huge numbers.

OldEagle

500+ Posts
redindian84 said:
...before faircloth got rid of the records...
What do you means by this statement? BF has mentioned several times at the booster club meetings what some of the records are such as most catches in a game, in a season, etc. How does he know what the records are if he got rid of the records?

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
good point. I know he brings it up often. And BTW, did our 2 receivers break the record last week?

badndn

500+ Posts
Indian99 said:
I too remember Elkins going over 1000 yards the 97 season.
Cody Elkins was Dustin's backup QB and one of the pitchers that helped lead that same group to the State Finals in baseball as well.

Not a RB!

redindian84

i mean he took down all the speed and weight records. records that were set before his era. mighty good ones. its a shame to. records make kids want to work harder to acheive something. thats a big part of off season for the guys while getting ready for next season as well

Indian99

500+ Posts
badndn said:
Indian99 said:
I too remember Elkins going over 1000 yards the 97 season.
Cody Elkins was Dustin's backup QB and one of the pitchers that helped lead that same group to the State Finals in baseball as well.

Not a RB!

Actually, Cody was a backup kicker on the 99' team. Tony Bowser was Dustin's backup.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores