In Memory of Tip Durham

Do you think the district should recognize Tip Durhams's 40 years of service to the athletics progra

• Yes

Votes: 78 96.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I know! I can't stand surprises and at the same time I love them...I just wanna be the one doing the surprising!
:party:

bandkid

Staff member
Suffice it to say that I think y'all will enjoy it, as well as the rest of the Indian Nation. I don't want to spoil the surprise.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
I can't wait! A plaque would not do justice to this man. He is a PNG Legend. I have had so many people from other schools tell me how classy our PA announcer was and how they wish their guy would be half as classy as Tip. The thing that separates him from past coaches and administrators is that this was not his profession, but his PASSION. I am sure he got paid little or nothing for announcing PNG games over the years, including traveling to all the away games and playoff games, even if he only presented the band and Indianettes at halftime. I am sure that every player remembers the first time he called their name out in a starting lineup or when they made their 1st tackle, run or catch in Indian Stadium. To hear "that voice" call your name was awesome. Whatever the school has in mind to honor him, I am sure that it will be done with class, honor and heartfelt....all attributes associated with this fine man.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
YAY!! I can't wait! I'm guessing the Iettes don't know about it cause i asked my daughter and she was like... :huh: If she does find out and tell me I promise not to spoil the surprise!

bandkid

Staff member
NDNmom91 said:
YAY!! I can't wait! I'm guessing the Iettes don't know about it cause i asked my daughter and she was like... :huh: If she does find out and tell me I promise not to spoil the surprise!

I'm sure they'll find out. The band knows.

PNGROW4650YRDLN

100+ Posts
bandkid said:
PNGROW4650YRDLN said:
IndianFan said:
squaw said:
We loved Tip and knew him for years, but think a dedication plaque would be more appropriate. If we start naming buildings for people where would it end? Why not name the stadium "Ethridge Stadium"? (I meant that to be an example only). Why not place a plaque in the pressbox of each and every one of the Indians announcers? What a great honor that would be and current announcers know they are following in great people's footsteps.

Because his association with, and presence in the press box transcends generations of coaches, teachers, administrators, teams and fans. And is specific enough that there shouldn't be much posturing about what gets what named after who. If there was ever a clear cut case, this is it.
I couldn't agree more. It seems only fitting. Because other schools recognize this it would seem horrible if PNGISD did not name the press box after Mr. Durham.

Naming the press box after him won't bee the only thing that PN-G does in Tip Durham's memory. Y'all will see what I'm talking about Friday.
Gonna trust you on this one Bandkid.

Proud Band Mom

100+ Posts
ndnsrock44 said:
I can't wait! A plaque would not do justice to this man. He is a PNG Legend. I have had so many people from other schools tell me how classy our PA announcer was and how they wish their guy would be half as classy as Tip. The thing that separates him from past coaches and administrators is that this was not his profession, but his PASSION. I am sure he got paid little or nothing for announcing PNG games over the years, including traveling to all the away games and playoff games, even if he only presented the band and Indianettes at halftime. I am sure that every player remembers the first time he called their name out in a starting lineup or when they made their 1st tackle, run or catch in Indian Stadium. To hear "that voice" call your name was awesome. Whatever the school has in mind to honor him, I am sure that it will be done with class, honor and heartfelt....all attributes associated with this fine man.

Amen! I still get tears in my eyes when I think of what he meant to the band and what they meant to him. At the start of the 2009 season we all knew he was so sick and wouldn't be announcing. Remember how the crowd went wild when they heard his voice begin to announce the band? The nation went to our feet and turned around to give him a standing ovation. The band still discusses how they felt and then to see all of us go to our feet to thank him.

What many don't realize is that the elevators weren't working for that game for some reason. Tip and his family, oxygen tanks in tow, climbed all those steps to get to the press box! I can't even imagine. He was there for all of our kids. What a gift.

Friday night - I can't wait! I hope Tip's family is there and I hope that the band gets word to our announcers so he can let the entire stadium know what is going on and why. Band kid - can you please check on that? Since this is the very first game the kids get to choose the programming and we get to deviate from our halftime show what a great tribute that the kids and Band Directors do this publicly for Tip. Whatever it is.

Great job band and Directors!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Just a guess from 100 miles away ... the band spells out TIP and plays Cherokee ... and the band is introduced with a recording of Mr. Durham's voice, “Bon soir mes amis. Laissez les bon temps roulet.”

Whatever the tribute is, good job PN-G band students. Thanks for tipping your caps to Mr. Durham.

Go Indians. Peace.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I need to bring extra kleenex, because what ever it is will be emotional :'( for us old timers :eek:ld: who personally knew Mr. Durham "Tip".

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores