Just for fun! Indian Band memories!

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I thought it would be neat to start a thread where we could all share our best and/or worst memories of being in band!

Ok, here's mine...a friend reminded me of this the other day, so I can't take all the credit for remembering all the details...lol! I think it was my junior year and our band directors (Mr. A and Mr. W) decided to make a bold statement to the State and school district about the new "no pass no play" rule!

We marched out onto the field for our opening number and there were a lot of vacant spots in our formation. There was a whole scripted dialog between our drum majors and Tip Durham as well. Durham came over the PA and said something like "wait a minute. Drum majors, why are there so many holes in the band?" Then one of them yelled something back (inaudible to the crowd), and Durham said "Oh, you lost players because of ineligibility? So what are you going to do about it?" Then, they blew the whistle, and we started scrambling like ants, we got in our spots and gave a kick *ss performance!
That was so much fun!!

I tell you, our band directors had some guts!! It was so much fun, and got the point across! No pass no play ended up being a pretty good motivator for students to keep their grades up, but at the time it was new, and very frustrating for everyone.

Ok, someone else have a story??

phetonb

1983 at state marching contest. One of our trumpet players played reveille in the parking lot at the hotel early in the morning. There were 5 rooms that were not ours, so we got fussed at. Then we played all of our contest music to all the cars as they passed by on the highway in front of our hotel. The trombone section leader put red cool-aid in the shower head in our room, and wanted me to be sure someone took their shower first. Screams!! then Mr. A and Mr. W acting like they were mad about, but all of us laughing after it was over.

That was just the best of my Sophomore Year.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
:ha: :ha: That's funny stuff right there! I think the best from my Sophomore year was getting to march at Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium in Austin for the finals of Texas State Marching Contest...we were 1st going in to finals then finished 5th overall...such a GREAT experience!!

I didn't have too many bad experiences, but the one that stands out is having to stand at attention with ants crawling up your legs all the freaking time, even at contest...that SUCKED!!

Ok, I know there's more...so please share!!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I remember that 1st one 91. That was pretty funny.

Mainly, I just remember the fun times traveling to all the playoff games in the 70's, 3 (only 10-12 grades back then) trips to Austin at the end of the school years for Solo & Ensemble contests, making the All-Region Band (1 of only 3 spots) and the lasting friendships that I made. Still today....147 yrs later, band is one of my fondest memories of school. Yeah,......it's THAT good!

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Yeah Proud...I remember the playoff games in the 70's....well sorta...cause I was like 3...lol! I know my parent's talked about it all the time, so it was always fresh in my memory. I think it doesn't matter how far apart you are in age, when two former NDN Band members get together you just have so much to talk about and stories to share! That's kinda why I wanted to start this thread cause I know the great memories I have of my time in band, but I wanted to hear the stories from those in band before me and after, cause I know they enjoyed it just as much as I did!

Keep 'em coming!

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
For me, what I remember most is my last performance with the Indian Band. Funny thing is that it happened five years after I graduated. I was one of the exes that filled in the spaces in the Marching I when a number of band members were at All-Region Tryouts. It was the playoff game in the Astrodome against A&M Consolidated. I actually "sat-in" with band in the stands as well.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Wow NDN Fan!! I was in that band!! Who knows, you may have marched right along side me! I have heard some talk about them doing that again! I would do it in a heart beat!! Not so sure I would sound too good, but I'll give it my best :)

phetonb

PNG NDN Fan said:
For me, what I remember most is my last performance with the Indian Band. Funny thing is that it happened five years after I graduated. I was one of the exes that filled in the spaces in the Marching I when a number of band members were at All-Region Tryouts. It was the playoff game in the Astrodome against A&M Consolidated. I actually "sat-in" with band in the stands as well.

I did that too! The Marching I for that playoff game, and I got to play in the stands during the game. The Freshman Tuba players were shocked at how LOUD I played Cherokee. I said that his how you are supposed to play it.

Give me a Tuba, about 3 weeks to get my chops back in shape, and I bet I could play Cherokee again!! That would be fun now that I am 41.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
phetonb said:
Give me a Tuba, about 3 weeks to get my chops back in shape, and I bet I could play Cherokee again!! That would be fun now that I am 41.

You're a better man that I am, I think it would take me a year to get back playing like I did way back then. Beside, as you get older the "head rushes" are less advisable. :)

NDN X

100+ Posts
PNG NDN Fan said:

Hey, I also participated at that game as one of the alum twirlers. We stretched all the way across the field. Even got to perform Cherokee on the sideline after the I. I don't remember what year that was, but it was fun to finally perform Cherokee in the Dome!!

NONS81

I have to admire y'all. Band was not my thing, not that I didn't try, but lets just say that I maybe should have tried to play the drums!!! I was not cut out to play the clarinet!!! I can play Cherokee though on the clarinet...go figure. ;D I sqwauked mostly..

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:

I did the Marching I as well. There were alot of civilians on that field!

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Hey, I also participated at that game as one of the alum twirlers. We stretched all the way across the field. Even got to perform Cherokee on the sideline after the I. I don't remember what year that was, but it was fun to finally perform Cherokee in the Dome!!

I think it was my junior year, which would have been '89-'90...that was so cool...i hope they do it again!!

Proud Band Mom

100+ Posts
I really admire what PNG band does! I can promise you it's special.......I know my high school band wasn't nearly the family that this one is! Although that was back in the dark ages it seems.............. ;D :eek:ld: Now that our child is in PNG Band I realize what a privilege it is to be purple!

In case any of you are interested, there is a Band Action Committee. It formed in 2001 or 2002 after being inactive for awhile. It's pretty neat, in the past they have purchased the ice machine for overheated kids at practice, the mule to haul the equipment to the track, feed the kids on Thursday, organize fundraisers, fed them after the area competition, etc. Its' all about the band...........and is one band one sound.

I hope that many of you who loved band would consider joining. It's open to anyone and it would be wonderful if you decided to join. Plus its free of charge. It would be a way to fundraise and purchase some really needed items and equipment. The school and extracurricular activity staff are really good to the band but budget cuts affect everyone across the board. Wouldn't it be great if more than just parents joined BAC? I know that I would love to stay on board just as the really grateful parent of a PNG Band alumni.

Maybe if enough alumni come on board you could have an alumni play night - or join for a Cherokee reunion! Personally I would love to see that in a parade somewhere - if the Hussars and the Shamrocks can march why can't the PNG Band alumni do it too? I'd be cheering you on! I know its not to compete with the current band - its their time in the sun. But you could make something work couldn't you?

Thanks for your consideration.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Wow, this whole time I thought BAC was only for parents of band members, cause that's the way it was when it first started when I was in band. Hmmm...I just may have to join, because I would love to see us be able to put together some reunions and stuff for Purple Pride alumni, and support the current band students as well! Sounds like a plan to me...anyone else?

phetonb

PNG NDN Fan said:
phetonb said:

You're a better man that I am, I think it would take me a year to get back playing like I did way back then. Beside, as you get older the "head rushes" are less advisable. :)

I was mostly joking about the 3 weeks. You are right, the "head rush" I would get would probably cause my blood pressure to drop and then jump so much I would pass out before the 3rd note...

But it would be fun to try...

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores