Live Video of Willis Game??

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Anyone know whether there will be a live video broadcast for this game? Normally they are able to broadcast live video feeds for games played on Saturday, and the home page of this website suggests that there will be a live video feed for this game. However, a recent PA News article states that it will not be broadcast live because it cannot be broadcast unless the game is sold out within 48 hours (both sides), which will not be the case. Anyone know the real deal on this?

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Apparently the UIL has different rules regarding regular season Saturday night games and playoff games on Saturday. The PA News article is correct, the playoff packet from the UIL attached below list the 48 hour sellout requirement for live broadcasts.

www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/fb-post-season-packet.pdf

NDN79

500+ Posts
I didn't know that they had different rules regarding the live broadcast of regular season, and play-off games. Sounds like the UIL is trying to get more people out to the games to increase the gate receipts. That's a bummer for the Indian fans that live out of town, or are working and can't make it.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
The UIL document referred to does not make sense for the following reasons:

1. Based on the document, the "sellout" requirment appears to apply to both audio and video broadcasts, which is clearly not the case.

2. (a) is vague; e.g., What is the UT General Counsel? Also, (a) makes it sound like the subsequent rules only apply to "regional, quarter-final, semifinal and final
contests"

3. Last weeks Willis playoff game was broadcast live (I watched part of it), and based on looking at the stands it did not look anywhere close to a sellout.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Section 868: RADIO AND TELEVISION CONTRACTS
(a) CONTRACT RECOMMENDATION. The UIL director may recommend a contract to UT General Counsel for broadcasting and televising regional, quarter-final, semifinal and final contests for baseball, basketball, football, softball, soccer, volleyball and marching band. Broadcasting and televising include every nature of transmitting audio or visual whether over the radio, television, internet, or other.

(b) RIGHTS GRANTED. The broadcasting and telecasting rights granted in the contract shall be for both live and delayed broadcasts, and live and film telecasts of the contests. Delayed broadcasts are defined for the purposes of this rule as beginning at least one hour after the completion of the contest.

(c) FOOTBALL CONFERENCES COVERED. The contract for broadcasting football games for the football season shall apply only to conferences 3A, 4A and 5A. Schools in conferences 2A, A and six-man football may make their own arrangements for football broadcasts in accordance with the provisions of the contract forms supplied by the League office. The UIL retains the right to arrange for telecasts of all final football games.

(d) LIVE FOOTBALL TELECAST LIMITED. Live telecasts of League football playoff games shall be permitted if:
(1) mutualconsentoftheparticipantschoolsisgiven;
(2) the games are sold out forty-eight (48) hours prior to game time; and
(3) the UIL radio-television contract so permits.

(e) RADIO BROADCASTS NOT COVERED BY STATE CONTRACT.
(1) Participating schools shall enter into mutual agreements prior to the contest in all contests when the gate receipts are shared.
(2) When gate receipts are not shared between participating schools, the host school may permit radio broadcasts.

I think what this means is that the UIL reserves rights to set up contracts for radio and TV broadcasts of Regional, Quarters, Semis, and Finals. For earlier rounds, or for the aforementioned rounds that the UIL does not have a contact, radio broadcasting contracts can be negotiated by the local schools since they are not covered by a state contract. Radio broadcasts do not require a sellout - per section (e)

Live TV broadcasts are permitted of the 3 conditions in section (d) are met.

I am not cognizant of the specifics of the Willis game, maybe they bought out all the tickets somehow. Bottom line is that the Willis / PNG game will not be live, unless someone decides to stream the video from their iPhone to Justin.TV.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDN79 said:
I didn't know that they had different rules regarding the live broadcast of regular season, and play-off games. Sounds like the UIL is trying to get more people out to the games to increase the gate receipts. That's a bummer for the Indian fans that live out of town, or are working and can't make it.

Exactly. But on the flip side, it also benefits the schools for that to happen, and generates a more lively game atmosphere.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
It says the following link will give you a live video feed of the game.

http://www.willisisd.org/

PNGALWAYS

Prepballfan is correct. The are advertising on the Willis ISD website that "live streaming video" of tonight's game can be accessed from the Willis website (as was also available for the non sold out game last week).

If they are able to do it, why would we be prohibited?

Although the Willis ISD video is better than nothing for Indian fans that cannot make the game, the quality of their telecast is vastly inferior to the one provided by the Legacy network for Indian games.

Torino

500+ Posts
PNGALWAYS said:
Prepballfan is correct. The are advertising on the Willis ISD website that "live streaming video" of tonight's game can be accessed from the Willis website (as was also available for the non sold out game last week).

If they are able to do it, why would we be prohibited?

Although the Willis ISD video is better than nothing for Indian fans that cannot make the game, the quality of their telecast is vastly inferior to the one provided by the Legacy network for Indian games.
From the Willis ISD web site:

Notice to all WildKat fans: UIL Rules prohibit the live streaming
of the playoff game in Beaumont. An on-demand stream will be on
the website for you to view sometime Monday.

PNGALWAYS

Does this mean that state championship games can no longer be televised live by Fox Sports Network? Those games are practically never sold out, particulalry since they are held in large venues (could you imagine having to sell out Cowboys Stadium). It would seem to me that "a rule is a rule" and FSN should therefore be unable to televise these games live.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores