Livingston Game on Oct 10 will be played at the Rez

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Date for Port Neches-Groves' first home football game cemented; Central-Vidor game location moved
By CHRISTOPHER DABE
September, 24, 2008

Matt Burnett had more than his football players in mind when the decision was made to keep the Port Neches-Groves' home opening game at Oct. 10.

"It will be good for the kids," said Burnett, PN-G's head football coach. "Not just the players, but the band, the Indianettes and everyone else. These seniors need a chance to be on this field."

Burnett and other school and construction officials met Wednesday to discuss moving the team's first game in its rebuilt, $10.2 million stadium from Oct. 10 against Livingston to Oct. 24 against Lumberton because of construction delays caused by Hurricane Ike.

By keeping Oct. 10 as the opening-game date, PN-G will keep its homecoming at home and will allow for three home games this season. The third is Nov. 7 against Central.

The press box will not be complete and the video screen on the scoreboard will not show replays during the first game, Burnett said. The concession stands will not be equipped to cook food but will sell heated food brought in by vendors, he added.

The video board should be ready for Oct. 24 game, Burnett said.

"It's going to be a big day for the kids to be able to play at home," Burnett said. "The focus has to be on the kids."

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
PNG NDN Fan said:
The concession stands will not be equipped to cook food but will sell heated food brought in by vendors, he added.

This gives me hope that the menu is indeed changing.

IndianKen

INDIAN KEN #1 BAND FAN
I'm not to clear on the dates above. When will we be able to play on the reservation??? There are 2 dates mentioned in the above message. Thanks for helping me to understand our schedule and the dates and places. IndianKen

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Livingston game will be played at home on Oct 10, but not all stadium features will be complete. By the Oct 24 game against Lumberton things should be complete.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
Hmmm, remember at all the home games in the past, the vendor has been Pizza Inn. I'm sure we will be seeing them again. But hopefully, they'll add Billy Joe's as a vendor, or maybe another local vendor...

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
Sorry to report this guys, but Pizza Inn has exclusive rights to sell food inside the stadium. But that can't stop people from selling outside the stadium!

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
NDNTime said:
Sorry to report this guys, but Pizza Inn has exclusive rights to sell food inside the stadium. But that can't stop people from selling outside the stadium!

For how long? Reading the latest article on the stadium sounds like we will have a bigger variety. We need to ditch that deal as soon as possible. We always eat before the game, but could be easily convinced to eat at the game if the food was better.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
I would think that the school district would be proud to showcase local (Port Neches & Groves) vendors that could offer food at the football games. Seems like with all of the great Cagun cookin in the area, many fans would look forward to eating at the game. I mean, keep the pizza & nachos for the little ones... but offer some more boudin, po-boys & brisket sandwiches also.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
This is probably the wrong place to discuss this but all of the proceeds that come from concession sales go to fund school activities and project graduation. We can all agree that this is nothing but a good thing. I am in agreeance that the concessions could offer more, but we have to be careful about how much we can offer. If we offer too much we risk the chance of losing profit margin. If we offer just a minimal amount of items, it keeps initial costs down and creates a higher profit margin. I'm sure the district (or someone for the district) has done a cost-benefit analysis on this issue (I hope). But I'm sure that the district feels that people that come to the game will always buy a box of popcorn and a drink when they come to the game. I'm sure they make more per sale on those items than they would selling a variety of sandwiches, po-boys, and whatever else.

NDN X

100+ Posts
NDNTime said:

Even if it is something they would not possibly sell, like brisket sandwiches for instance? Wonder if the contract could be amended if the public put in their 2 cents? I mean I wouldn't want to see someone from out of town come in and take away from local businesses, but a little change/variety would be nice for our new stadium. Personally, and I have said it before, I would love to see funnel cakes make an appearance. (a little smaller size than usual would be easy to handle) ;)

CardiacKids 92

100+ Posts
Okay all dis food tauk has got me tinkin sha...How bout fried alligator, grilled shrimp, some crawfish Étouffée an when dat duck season starts some Gumbeaux de canard! Don foget bout cold beer and good cajun music!

alligatoronastick.jpg

495398638_5e822c425c.jpg

crawfish_gumbo001.jpg

CIMG0529.jpg

BreauxBridge039.jpg

squaw

1,000+ Posts
NDNTime said:
That shouldn't keep non-profit groups from operating from the concession stands. It would be a great way for a student organization to raise money for field trips, etc. Our menu should not be all "food business" food items. Personally, I'd like to see boudain links (relates to the cajun people in our community), nachos (relates well to our hispanic group) and BBQ (another group relatedness).

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
squaw said:
NDNTime said:
That shouldn't keep non-profit groups from operating from the concession stands. It would be a great way for a student organization to raise money for field trips, etc. Our menu should not be all "food business" food items. Personally, I'd like to see boudain links (relates to the cajun people in our community), nachos (relates well to our hispanic group) and BBQ (another group relatedness).

I'm just curious as to just who the BBQ relates to, in your opinion of coarse :) :)

PNGfan

100+ Posts
Should've waited till the lumberton game to play in the stadium. That's when everything will be up and going according to school officicals. It's not going to be the same without the the replay screen for the introduction part before the game, but hey whatever. Let's play football

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Just my opinion, but if the stadium is playable and at least as functional as the old stadium, the game should be played there. The Seniors deserve to play as many games at home as possible.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores