Looking for Video from State Championship and State Finals Teams 1975,77,99

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
bark said:
I think it was on Channel 12. I should see Richey tonight and I'll ask about the 77 game. Unfortunately, no one ever asks about the 76 semifinal game, I don't know what happened to it.

I still remember that game like yesterday. My Dad and I were sitting in the upper deck of Rice Stadium. Wet and freezing are the standout memories. That and knowing that the weather effectively limited the passing game. Yet it went right down to that last drive. I think we would have won the game in the Dome or at least dry weather.

15PNG

500+ Posts
bark said:
I just talked to Ethridge and 2 or 3 people checked it out over the years and nobody remembers who had it last. Hell to get old.

Has anyone heard from squaw??

Has anyone heard if Ethridge and Troy are going to be there for this?

15PNG

500+ Posts
I do hope someone has clips of this to post on here for those of us who can't make it in from out of town :'(

bark

1,000+ Posts
Coach Ethridge will be there and there is a golf game planned for Fri or Sat. Richey is bringing him down. Watson will be there, I talked to him and I feel sure he will play as well. One of my friends says some of the guys talked to Troy and say he'll be here -I'm not convienced, he is still bitter. I haven't heard about the rest.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Bum as here the 15th, I had a book signed. He made no mention of comming, I didn't ask, I don't know him.. I was told that Pat Briggs was heading it up and a few days ago called Matt and said "you do it" That's probably how Doug was persuaded. He finally commited Thur. with Richey on the phone. I hope Tim Owens and Butch come. It will be a lot of fun with golf etc...

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
I just watched the JumboTron video clip from that 1977 Regional game against LaPorte. Man that brought some great memories. I agree with IndianFan - that was the best PNG team I've seen play. The one play has always stood out for me from that game was the hit Ted Brack put on their star fullback. That guy was running around taunting the PNG crowd before the game. Then he ran into Brack (what a great name for a linebacker) on one of his first carries. I can still see his helmet flying high into the air. No more taunts from him and I think it really deflated the entire LaPorte team. We administered a serious beating to them after that. I would really like to watch the entire game again. Would it be possible to get a copy of that game video?

bark

1,000+ Posts
Great post pngfanatic!

Something to think about - the 72 football team/73 seniors Bergeron (UH),Burnett(TAM), Hebert(UH) and Williams (Air Force?) GREAT TEAM never won District. Because of Lincoln those Watson teams - I don't think ever won District with GREAT athletes? R. Giblin (UH), M. Simpson(SWC), L Landry(UT), T Landry(UT) and a bunch more.

75/76 Seniors - STATE CHAMPS, many all staters. However, I looked and 77 had more all staters.

We have had discussion on this for years. Many would say 53,55 and 75 State Champs - hard to argue with Champs. BUT, I remember that 72 team, maybe because I was fairly young, man everyone had a #24 jersey .... I don't know?

squaw

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
bark said:
I think it was on Channel 12. I should see Richey tonight and I'll ask about the 77 game. Unfortunately, no one ever asks about the 76 semifinal game, I don't know what happened to it.

I still remember that game like yesterday. My Dad and I were sitting in the upper deck of Rice Stadium. Wet and freezing are the standout memories. That and knowing that the weather effectively limited the passing game. Yet it went right down to that last drive. I think we would have won the game in the Dome or at least dry weather.
Besides bitter cold, our receiver Carl Griffith had a broken thumb and couldn't play.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Squaw - don't forget Blake was hurt (ribs and Shoulder) and Guillory was hurt, Shipplin was hurt (leg) and many others. It still kills me that we were sooo close to a 2nd trip to the Big Dance. If they would have played in the Dome we may have won. My point on the Luck factor. That was the 2nd year Varsity Seniors 29th game in a row in 2 years - 15 in 75 and 14 in 76 - not counting 2 a days, Spring Training etc...

Love to talk that NDN football.

Anyone else have an opinion??

What about Friday and the Dog house? I think we need to be on our game. Ned is ready for a breakout game.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
bark said:
Great post pngfanatic!

Something to think about - the 72 football team/73 seniors Bergeron (UH),Burnett(TAM), Hebert(UH) and Williams (Air Force?) GREAT TEAM never won District. Because of Lincoln those Watson teams - I don't think ever won District with GREAT athletes? R. Giblin (UH), M. Simpson(SWC), L Landry(UT), T Landry(UT) and a bunch more.

75/76 Seniors - STATE CHAMPS, many all staters. However, I looked and 77 had more all staters.

We have had discussion on this for years. Many would say 53,55 and 75 State Champs - hard to argue with Champs. BUT, I remember that 72 team, maybe because I was fairly young, man everyone had a #24 jersey .... I don't know?

This debate is one of my favorite topics...it is a close call between the 1975 and 1977 teams. I always lean to 1975 because they put the hardware in the trophy case, but Justin Eicher and Ted Brack make it awfully close for the 1977 team. I was too young to remember the great Watson era with Bergeron. Eicher only played 1 season for PN-G and he had to split carries with James Shipley, but man could he (Eicher) tote the football. He could run over people and maintained great balance, and if he got to the secondary or outside of containment, he could run away from people, too. Had he played at PN-G as a SOPH or JR, his name would be higher up in the record books...if he would have played in 1975 and 1976, those teams would have been greater than they already were. Whata, coulda, shoulda.... Ted Brack is one of the top 3 or 4 defenders to ever wear purple and white. When he hit you, the play ended. Great memories. Here's to future Indians carrying on the tradition of excellence.

Go Indians. Peace.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Bark, you are absolutely correct. The team was really beat up that year. I also think the other coach did a smart thing by not agreeing to play in the Astrodome because I am sure we'd of beat them if they had. That game was so cold-one of the coldest we've ever seen. My hubby says that the year PNG beat Big Springs at home (he thinks it was on 12-06-53) for the state championship it was cold and sleeting. The Indians went into fieldhouse and got to change into dry uniforms and warm up and the other team entered the field still cold and wet and the Indians won the game. He feels sure that weather made a big difference. Those boys who lost in Rice Stadium were a fine group young men and most have been very successful in life. I know our son played in every game since he was in the 8th grade and he only played in two losing games (South Houston in bi-district and Churchill in semi-finals). Not many boys can say the same. I love the Indians and PNGISD. They have provided us with many great memories. I asked BF for one more state championship before we die!

bark

1,000+ Posts
Deruddy, I saw him and Shipley a few weeks ago. What a story. Ted, Howard Kern (deceased) Belloti and some us had some great times.

Right on with Eichler - another 2 years on varsity - who knows?

Even though I was a senior on the 76 team I can't argue with the 75 & 77 teams.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
bark said:
Deruddy, I saw him and Shipley a few weeks ago. What a story. Ted, Howard Kern (deceased) Belloti and some us had some great times.

Right on with Eichler - another 2 years on varsity - who knows?

Even though I was a senior on the 76 team I can't argue with the 75 & 77 teams.
If you're who I think you are, weren't you also playing on the 75 team that won state??

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores