Marching Contest

bandkid

Staff member
This particular show was picked because it is the same show that Dripping Springs, the 2009 4A Texas State Marching Competition Champions, used. It isn't my favorite show either, but I understand the reasoning. Judging at marching competitions can be subjective. When a band makes it all the way to state, it makes sense to try and incorporate the elements of their shows into your own in the hopes that what worked once will work again. I think that the reason behind picking this show was to get the band accustomed to what the judges like.

Apparently, that strategy just didn't work for us. What took Dripping Springs to state earned us a 2 (with some help from anxiety, in my opinion).

I think that last year's show was awesome. I personally would have preferred something similar to that, or maybe a movie suite like what's been done in the past.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Different shows in the 70's were relatively easy to do. Military style is relatively easy to learn and perform - marching 120 bpm, always looking where you are going, yard lines for guides etc. The A&M band does it well, but it is not that hard to create nice effects will simple individual parts. I still think some of the best drills were from Fall '88 to the late '90s, lots of movie themes there that the crowd could relate to, and many of those drills were designed in-house.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I was in the band from '87-'91 and the band directors did design the choose the music. I LOVED the shows and music we played back then and not just because that's when I was in the band. The music was just hardcore, in your face, power driven tunes! I just think the judges are looking for more drama and theatrical than they were then. I didn't really care for this years choice but I don't think it deserved a 2 either...unless they were looking at theatrics more than sound..and that would be a shame IMO!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores