Mr. Durham

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
I got the following in an email today:

I wanted all of you to know that Mr. Durham passed away last night. I don’t have any information on funeral arrangements but will let you know when I do. I will make some kind of announcement at the game tonight. Please keep the Durham family in your prayers.

Tip has been "the voice of the Indians" since about 1963 and it is so sad that he won't be with us in person any longer. I think our present announcer is doing great when he starts to introduce half time with the tribute to Tip that he has been using. I hope by the Central game they are able to get a really nice presentation for pre-game with lots of pictures of all the good times Tip announced for us including when he got his letter jacket and purple and white boots. I was disappointed he didn't get to announce halftime at the Alamodome since he had announced Indian games and halftimes in so many venues but it just wasn't to be. I, for one, plan to wear one of my purple and white Indian shirts to the visitation and to the funeral. I bet a lot of other folks will too. Rest in peace Tip, you were the greatest.

ndnnike16

This is a sad day for the indian nation, Mr. Durham was the voice of this team for 40+ years and he will be greatly missed.

phetonb

I always got goose bumps when marching out onto the field when Tip introduced us. I still got them as an adult hearing him introduce the band after I graduated. And when my son, a senior now, marched onto the field, hearing Tip make the same intro filled me with such pride. Mr. Durham, may you rest in peace knowing that your voice meant so much to so many, for so many years. You will be missed. May God Bless your family.

Thank you Mr. Durham!

Indian Band Member 83-86.

bandkid

Staff member
phetonb said:
I always got goose bumps when marching out onto the field when Tip introduced us. I still got them as an adult hearing him introduce the band after I graduated. And when my son, a senior now, marched onto the field, hearing Tip make the same intro filled me with such pride. Mr. Durham, may you rest in peace knowing that your voice meant so much to so many, for so many years. You will be missed. May God Bless your family.

Thank you Mr. Durham!

Indian Band Member 83-86.

I know exactly what you mean. To be honest, I didn't know whether to be proud or disappointed when I realized that I was part of the last Indian Band to be introduced by Tip Durham; sure, I may have been able to experience that, but none of the future band members ever will. I had the same dilemma when Indian Ken passed on.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
For those wanting to reminisce, here is a video of the band last year vs. LCM with Mr. Durham doing the intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrqozy6tyXo

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores