NED VS PNG HALFTIME..... Who won the battle of the bands & drill teams?

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Well, it's so hard to hear and see everything when the band is facing the home side, but I think both bands looked and sounded great! I really don't want to pick a "better" band because each band has a different style and they are both GREAT at what they do. The one thing I will say is that I DESPISE the way our band just runs off the field after the Marching I :nono: It looks so tacky and unprofessional. I was in band in the late 80's and early 90's and we always marched the "I" off the field. So, if we're judging on neatness and professionalism, I'll have to give it to the Nederland band!

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
NDNmom91 said:
Well, it's so hard to hear and see everything when the band is facing the home side, but I think both bands looked and sounded great! I really don't want to pick a "better" band because each band has a different style and they are both GREAT at what they do. The one thing I will say is that I DESPISE the way our band just runs off the field after the Marching I :nono: It looks so tacky and unprofessional. I was in band in the late 80's and early 90's and we always marched the "I" off the field. So, if we're judging on neatness and professionalism, I'll have to give it to the Nederland band!

Great to hear. The scramble off the field has been an issue for so many people. I agree with you 100%. It looks tacky. period. I do not know why they can not walk off in a cadence.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe a case where the new band director decided to go with new ideas.

It's a double edged sword, that tradition thing. Someone will always be unhappy if it's honored, or replaced.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:

It's a double edged sword, that tradition thing. Someone will always be unhappy if it's honored, or replaced.

Well he should take that "idea" along with the other one of slowing down Cherokee and rethink them both!!

:angry: :angry:

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
It's hard to really apperciate a show watching it from the backside, I look foward to seeing the show next week from the home side.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
IBLEEDPURPLE said:
IndianFan said:

Well he should take that "idea" along with the other one of slowing down Cherokee and rethink them both!!

Agreed on the fight song. Words and music. It should sound the same in 2008 as it sounded in 1975. Musical notes, and lyrics never change.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
IBLEEDPURPLE said:
PN-G or Nederland??
Boy this is a loaded question..... :-X Not sure whether to answer this question honestly or to appease people, and lie!!! Even though the truth hurts if you answer this question either way you are going to get flamed... :flaming: I will say, there is room for improvement on our part and half time performance is not like it was when I was in school (in the middle to late 70's O0).... :sorry:

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
EX79NDN said:
IBLEEDPURPLE said:
PN-G or Nederland??
Boy this is a loaded question..... :-X Not sure whether to answer this question honestly or to appease people, and lie!!! Even though the truth hurts if you answer this question either way you are going to get flamed... :flaming: I will say, there is room for improvement on our part and half time performance is not like it was when I was in school (in the middle to late 70's O0).... :sorry:

I was hoping to hear there was some improvement. It seemed like a lot of people were fired up about the Indianettes and their performances at the first three games. I just haven’t seen any of those previous posters critiquing the LCM or Nederland performances, so I was just curious.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
IBLEEDPURPLE said:
EX79NDN said:
IBLEEDPURPLE said:
PN-G or Nederland??

I was hoping to hear there was some improvement. It seemed like a lot of people were fired up about the Indianettes and their performances at the first three games. I just haven’t seen any of those previous posters critiquing the LCM or Nederland performances, so I was just curious.
Well you asked so here it goes....They did the same performance they did at the LCM game. :zzz:

Indianettes: Run to get into place, run to get to the side line and a very simple routine. This is just not my opinion. I sit next to two Indianette family members and in front of 6 elderly people that graduated from PNG in the 50's. All have the same opinion. And yes, even though they have been facing the other side, I sit almost at the very top and can see the performance quite well. I even brought binoculars this time so that I could watch the Indianette that we do know. The Indianettes have been going down hill every since Mrs. James and Mrs. Voss left. Not very much showmanship like in the late 70's and routines are very simple, not very jazzy. :zzz: Also very simple props. What every happened to the trash cans, parachute, umbrellas, colored disks, colored gloves etc. the Indianettes used in the past. They use to be a show to watch. I am not sure where the down fall is, I am not going to place blame on the girls or the leadership. But I do know that a person is only as good as their leader! :-\ I also had heard that the Indianettes were suppose to go back to marching with the band!? I was all excited about this, but when is this suppose to take place? O wait.....I guess the band has to march first before the Indianettes can march with them. The Nederland band marched circles around our band. Now on a positive note, I love that the Indianettes have gone back to braiding their hair. Also I love the fact that they sing REALLY LOUD the school song and fight song. I have even started to hear other people around me singing with them!!! :rocks: That is great and Indianettes keep that up!!! I remember when I was in school, the school song and the fight song was a test grade in English. I guess they do not do that anymore, along with other things. :'(

Basically on Saturday we where out played, out danced and out marched!!! I hope things change.

Alright, now let the flame throwing began.... :flaming: But the truth is the truth. Like it our not sometimes the truth hurts, but it is also a bases where a person can change things that are not working. Only if a person takes criticism positively.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
Well.... I do hate to hear that it is the same old same old. Now I suspect there will be a flood of mothers and others that will start posting that practices have been cut short due to evacuations and the hurricanes, therefore it is "unfair" to have a negative opinion but I have to say that the performances have not been up to years past in my opinion either.

I can remember when the Indianettes even did stand routines with pom poms, colored gloves, hoops and other eye catching props. Drinks were handed up to the squad during the third quarter rather than allowing the girls the entire quarter "off". They all marched on the field in step, and the routines were difficult, but all in synch, polished and different each week.

During one of the first games (in Crosby), we sat behind two girls that apparently had graduated a few years ago and over heard one girl say to the other, "It's a shame that it basically has come to the day that people view the Indianettes as a "pep squad" rather than a "drill team". When you want to watch a good drill team performance, you now have to go to a Bridge City or Nederland game." :-[ ouch!

Mrs. James & Mrs. Voss....... you are missed tremendously here by many!

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
Well.... I do hate to hear that it is the same old same old. Now I suspect there will be a flood of mothers and others that will start posting that practices have been cut short due to evacuations and the hurricanes, therefore it is "unfair" to have a negative opinion but I have to say that the performances have not been up to years past in my opinion either.
I am sure you are right, but that is a lame excuse since all the other schools in the area was also effected by hurricane evacuations and the hurricanes...Even though the Westernaires routine had no prop's, they did make people in the stands go WHOA when they did their drop splits.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
EX79NDN said:
I am sure you are right, but that is a lame excuse since all the other schools in the area was also effected by hurricane evacuations and the hurricanes...Even though the Westernaires routine had no prop's, they did make people in the stands go WHOA when they did their drop splits.

ut o --- you better run for cover!!! *grin*
;D ;D ;D

Crazy Indian Fan

I don't think either band was really up to par for this performance. Ned's band had a lot of people out of line for being a military band, but they sounded really good, good song selection too. I also could barely make out the inside out marching N. The PNG band looked better than Tuesday and the first song had more polish to it, the box formations in the front looked much better, although some of the formations didn't make it and people were out of step. It's clear that the hurricane mess has hurt both bands, so hopefully they both can rise up to the occasion for contest.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
IBLEEDPURPLE said:
IndianFan said:

I wholeheartedly agree!! AMEN!

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
squaw said:
IBLEEDPURPLE said:
IndianFan said:

I wholeheartedly agree!! AMEN!

If I could have heard Cherokee...... I was trying to keep up by watching the cheerleaders but I kept getting off on my clapping - NOW I know it is because it is has been slowed down...And I thought it was me the whole time...

Crazy Indian Fan

Actually, with all due respect, the fans always get off beat on cherokee and cadences. When I was in band we were always told not to listen to the clapping because it constantly slows downs and speeds up.

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
I also remember the Indianettes of old and I do miss all the cool props they used bach when I was in school. I didn't graduate from PNG but my daughters will and I have always loved watching the Indianettes and I would so love for them to go back to using all the neat props of years gone by.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores