Nederland Bulldog Classic - revised (winners in bold)

Nederland Bulldog Classic

Thursday
G1: Ozen vs. Milburn (1:30)
G2: Galveston Ball vs. PN-G (3:00)
G3: Vidor vs. WO-S (4:30)
G4: Nederland vs. Dayton (6:00)

Friday
G5: Sabine Pass vs. Dayton (1:30)
G6: CHSA vs. Ozen (Noon)
G7: Nederland vs. Vidor (3:00)
G8: Milburn vs. PN-G (4:30)
G9: G6 Winner vs. Galveston Ball(6:00)
G10: WO-S vs. G5 winner (7:30)

Saturday
G11: G5 loser vs. G7 winner (11am)
G12: G6 loser vs. G8 winner (12:30)
G13: G7 loser vs. G8 loser (2:00)
G14: G11 loser vs. G12 loser (3:30)
G15: Conoslation: G11 winner vs. G12 winner (5:00)
G16: 3rd Place: G10 loser vs. G9 loser (6:30)
G17: Championship: G10 winner vs. G9 winner (8:00)

I will modify this bracket until PNG is out of the Tournament. I wll not be able to follow any games afterwards since I have to be out of town on Business.

carzan

500+ Posts
Re: Nederland Bulldog Classic starts Tomorrow (Thurs Dec 3rd)

Looks like PNG gets a tough draw!

[size=35pt]Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!!Go Indians!!![/size]

pngindian

Nederland seems to always do that to us in their tournament

carzan

500+ Posts

So does anybody know much about Galveston Ball? About all I have been able to find is that they have three kids that are 6'5". Two are forwards and one plays post at 205lbs. Of the two forwards, one averages 14 points per game and about 8 rebounds and the other averages about 17 points per game and about 6 rebounds. The post man averages approx 6 points per game if I remember correctly. I have also seen where thier scoring average is approximately 60 points per game.

So with that bit of info, what are your thoughts?

carzan

500+ Posts

I'm about to head to the game now. Will post scores as soon as I can after game.

lu cards

100+ Posts

freshman win there first game of tourney 61-34 over vidor.

carzan

500+ Posts

Galveston Ball wins 71-46. Galveston played aggressive basketball and ran a good press against us which resulted in a lot of turnovers. The thing they did that really hurt was at about the halfway mark of each quarter they substituted the entire squad for five fresh sets of legs. That was a big advantage, they were fresh the whole game while we were getting more and more tired. It was a tough game but some lessons should've been learned by our team. Our shooting percentage had to be very low and I believe that will improve. We also just don't look like we have really gelled as a squad just yet. The kids looked to be a bit uncomfortable to me.

Milburn Academy will be our next game at 4:30 Friday. See ya there!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
What kind of team does PN-G have? Do we have any size, depth, or a go-to player? What kind of offense does the current team run? Back when I was in school, we had Bobby Straface who could play the PG, SG, and SF spots ... we had Michael Jeter at 6'9" playing in the middle, and we had some good role players that set screens and took care of the ball until we could feed it to Straface behind the arc. Coach Don Bryson was a big believer in setting screens and running a motion offense off of the screens and a pick-and-roll. Were the 1989 Indians under the watchful eye of Don Bryson the last PN-G team to make the playoffs in basketball? I know we made the playoffs in 1989 ... before 1989 we had not been to the playoffs since 1967. Are we in another playoff drought?

Good luck to the PN-G Indian basketball team.

Go Indians. Peace.

1989NDN said:
What kind of team does PN-G have? Do we have any size, depth, or a go-to player?

Two @ 6'5" and a 6'3' with the rest 6'1" and under

We do have some depth especially in the ball-handlers although we didn't use any of it tonight. There is not really a go-to player on this team that I can pick out although I can see that one or two of the kids has the potential to be that guy.

1989NDN said:
What kind of offense does the current team run? Coach Don Bryson was a big believer in setting screens and running a motion offense off of the screens and a pick-and-roll.

You wont see as many pick and rolls as with a Bryson Coached team but the offense is based on Motion. They will also run Lasso at times. Coach Abel played under Bryson and sometimes it really shows. Similar style of coaching. And of course we run a 2/3 zone defense for the mostpart.

1989NDN said:
Are we in another playoff drought?

You really don't have to ask that question if you went to PNG. I don't think I would call it a drought, more like the school norm. With PNG basketball, the first goal is to have a winning season which has proven to be difficult as long as I have been around. (I started paying attention in the late seventies and played under Bryson in early eighties)

carzan

500+ Posts
PNG will play at 11:00am on Saturday. Our opponent should be CHSA but the weather has really put a dent in this tournament so I don't believe who we will play is set in stone just yet. I can say with certainty that the basketball team will be there around 10:15 to 10:30.

See ya at the Gym!!!

carzan

500+ Posts
That's correct.

We did not play today nor did most of the teams in the tournament. The only games played were Nederland vs Sabine Pass (Ned won) then Vidor vs Sabine Pass ( Vidor won)

The Tournament will be re-organized by tomorrow Morning. From what I can tell, this is the new bracket for tomorrow:

11:00: PNG Vs. CHSA
12:00: Galveston Ball Vs. Ozen
2:00: Sabine Pass Vs. CHSA
3:30: Nederland Vs. West Orange Stark
5:00: Consolation Game: Vidor Vs. PNG
6:30: 3rd Place Game
8:00: Championship Game

So Nederland now has a second chance at the winners bracket but hey, it is their tournament. If Galveston Ball shows up tomorrow they will be the champions when it's all said and done. I haven't seen CHSA but unless they are a powerhouse, doubt it, then ball is leaps and bounds above the rest of the teams there.

carzan

500+ Posts
I left for a Business trip as soon as our game was finished so I wasn't there but I believe West Orange Stark won the tournament.

Congratulations to the Mustangs!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores