New Cheerleaders

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
bandkid said:
Cheermom4 said:
bandkid said:
littleindian said:
They had different judges each year for 2006 & 2007. Is Varsity Cheerleaders the only group that has to tryout each year?

No. JV has tryouts in front of the sophomores and freshman each year, and the incoming freshman squad has tryouts in front of the eighth graders at the middle schools each years, with five at Groves and five at Port Neches.

Not anymore JV tryouts for Judges one day and the next for student body. 70% judges, 20% student body and 10% grades,conduct and attendance. The Freshman tryout in front of Judges only no student body vote. That was started last year they pick the best 10.

Really? Wow. Why did this start with the freshman squad?

Mrs. Wolfe has been wanting to take the best 10 for years and finally she got the OK last year. The girls trying out for Freshman last year never tried out for the student body it was just to hard to bus all the kids from both schools and it was close to TAKS time I think if I remember correctly.
I am glad it changed. The best cheerleaders should represent the school. JMHO

bandkid

Staff member
Cheermom4 said:
bandkid said:
Cheermom4 said:
bandkid said:
littleindian said:
They had different judges each year for 2006 & 2007. Is Varsity Cheerleaders the only group that has to tryout each year?

No. JV has tryouts in front of the sophomores and freshman each year, and the incoming freshman squad has tryouts in front of the eighth graders at the middle schools each years, with five at Groves and five at Port Neches.

Not anymore JV tryouts for Judges one day and the next for student body. 70% judges, 20% student body and 10% grades,conduct and attendance. The Freshman tryout in front of Judges only no student body vote. That was started last year they pick the best 10.

Mrs. Wolfe has been wanting to take the best 10 for years and finally she got the OK last year. The girls trying out for Freshman last year never tried out for the student body it was just to hard to bus all the kids from both schools and it was close to TAKS time I think if I remember correctly.

It used to be that there were two groups of candidates for the freshman squad, with one group of eighth graders from Port Neches and one group of eighth graders from Groves. Each tried out in front of their respective middle school classes and were voted on by their fellow eighth graders at that school, and were later judged by professionals. The top five from each middle school made the squad.

Do they plan to implement the "judge-only" system with the other squads?

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
bandkid said:
Cheermom4 said:
bandkid said:
Cheermom4 said:
bandkid said:
littleindian said:

It used to be that there were two groups of candidates for the freshman squad, with one group of eighth graders from Port Neches and one group of eighth graders from Groves. Each tried out in front of their respective middle school classes and were voted on by their fellow eighth graders at that school, and were later judged by professionals. The top five from each middle school made the squad.

Do they plan to implement the "judge-only" system with the other squads?

I have no clue about that. I only know what was done last year with the Freshman.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
I wish they had outside judging for the Indianettes years ago. When I was in school, I know of a person that had 18 years of dancing (tap, ballet, jazz, and toe) experiance, and even danced for the Beaumont Ballet. Due to a personal conflict between her and the Indianette sponser at the time, she did not make Indianettes. Still to this day that subject is a sore subject with her. With that much experiance you can not tell me she could not dance well enough to be an Indianette! :(

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
EX79NDN said:
I wish they had outside judging for the Indianettes years ago. When I was in school, I know of a person that had 18 years of dancing (tap, ballet, jazz, and toe) experiance, and even danced for the Beaumont Ballet. Due to a personal conflict between her and the Indianette sponser at the time, she did not make Indianettes. Still to this day that subject is a sore subject with her. With that much experiance you can not tell me she could not dance well enough to be an Indianette! :(

That is terrible, I think I would still be bitter myself.

I think with judges they should be from farther away than Houston and maybe they should be from different areas each time.

P.N.G.FOREVER

What year did Mrs. Wolfe become the sponsor, when did the jv and freshman squads stop traveling to away football games and why did they stop?

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
I have no idea on either of those questions. I do know that it is asking a lot for the sponsors to have to travel with the girls to away games.

I know that this past football season the Freshman and JV cheered at all away and what few homes games that were played at home. They also cheered at many basketball games for both the girls and the boys. The JV also cheered at some of the girls soccer games this year. The Varsity cheered at the same games as the JV girls but for the Varsity teams.

P.N.G.FOREVER

Thats good that they got to cheer at away games last year. I guess I was thinking of the year before. Although if they wouldn't have they probably wouldn't have had much of a football season to cheer for at home.

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
The Freshman squad the year before if I remember correctly was under a different sponsor. They only cheered at the home football games and just a couple of basketball games I think.

Former NDNette

100+ Posts
I don't think it's asking much of a sponsor to travel to away games with the squad. That's part of it and they know that when they take it on. If it's too much for them, then they shouldn't do it.

NDN X

100+ Posts
86ndn said:
09-10 Varsity Cheerleaders:

Morgan Thigpen (2-yr. sr.)
Alexis Hollier (2-yr. sr.)
Krista Prince (2-yr. sr.)
Chelsea Hammonds (2-yr. sr.)
Brooke Roy (2-yr. sr.)
Cori Spencer (1-yr. sr.)
Candace Simmons (1-yr. sr.)
Lauren Kyler (jr.)
Mallory Gilbert (jr.)
Morgan Sims (jr.)
Shalyn Roccaforte (jr.)
Anna Hunter (jr.)

JV and Freshman tryouts are later in the month of April.

thanks !

SayWhat?

Re: New Cheerleaders...Cammie B.

Somewhat related to cheerleading...

I was very happy that Cammie B. was crowned Miss Port Neches 2009! I hated to hear about her (and the other cheerleader's) situation about not making cheerleader again and am glad that she received such an honor last Saturday.

I do think it is a silly rule that cheerleaders must try out every year. I always thought it was unfair - and was glad to be a twirler and not have to deal with such requirements!

Anyway, congratulations Cammie! Great job!

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
She did look beautiful at the pagent and congrats to her.

I think it was sad that the one year her dad finally gets to actually watch her cheer that she didn't make it. Very sad indeed and also for Erin. Hugs to both of those girls, but they did make Indianettes even though it is not the same as cheerleading.

NONS81

Cheermom4 said:
She did look beautiful at the pagent and congrats to her.

I think it was sad that the one year her dad finally gets to actually watch her cheer that she didn't make it. Very sad indeed and also for Erin. Hugs to both of those girls, but they did make Indianettes even though it is not the same as cheerleading.

She did look beautiful!! Very photogenic also, the picture in the paper was darling of her.

Camie Burnett is absolutely GORGEOUS!! and very photogenic :)

You can see her in pictures of the pagent at www.leoweeksphoto.com under pagents
Here is the link for photos of her, the other winners and contestants:

http://www.leoweeksphoto.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?pagenum=5&action=viewphotos&categories=no&keywords2=no&eventgroup=&size=thumbnails

I think it's totally unfair that the Varsity cheerleaders have to retry out for their position on the cheering team!

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Former NDNette said:
I don't think it's asking much of a sponsor to travel to away games with the squad. That's part of it and they know that when they take it on. If it's too much for them, then they shouldn't do it.

In my experience working with schools, no one goes to the principal and says "I want to be the cheerleader sponsor." That is the single hardest activity to find a sponsor for. We usually straddled a new incoming teacher with it as part of the bargain of getting the teaching job. Usually the teacher will find a way to worm out of it by the end of their first school year teaching and you're looking for another sponsor.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Option? The ones that came back for year 2 and afterward were forced to do so. The way out was either to resign or to be lucky enough to have someone hired the following year that was capable of doing it (ie. young female). I'm not saying that's the case here, but its always been the case where I have been. Dealing with cheerleaders and their parents is one of the worst (if not the worst) jobs in education.

Im editing because I just read your sentence better. No, they did not have the option of saying no. The job offer was contingent on them taking cheerleading. Saying no to one was saying no to both.

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
Well Mrs Wolfe does a GREAT job with both JV and Varsity Cheerleaders. She gets the month of July off to spend with her family. The months of June and August are spent at the school with both the JV and Varsity squads, making signs, working on cheers and stunts and then there is cheer camp. I know that JV has practice during the summer from 8 until 10 or something like that and Varsity is right behind them. Lets not forget that during football season the girls practice after school Monday thru Wednesday and then the JV game is Thursday and the Varsity game is Friday. So her day of work on Thursday starts at what 7:20 or so and ends at 9 and even later than that on Friday for the Varsity games. She may get a break on Thursday from when school lets out until say 5 or 5:30.
After football is over they go straight into basketball where the squads cheer at two games a week. She is there from say 5:00 or so until the Varsity games are over and sometimes that is close to 10. Some times they have practice after school when they are working on a routine for half time, sometimes they dont have practice.
Lets not forget that after basketball is soccer and yes they cheer at whomever plays at home. Then they also cheer at some baseball games. I know they don't do many but they do go to some.
I also know that the girls can only spend so much time after school doing extracurricular per the UIL rules.

ndncheerer

Who can change the rule about having Varsity cheerleaders tryout each year? Seems to me that there are more that disagrees with the rule than agrees with it. Did not hear anyone complain about cheerleaders in the 70's or 80's. They did not have to tryout twice. I don't think any parent went to the board either to have their child added. The sponsor was totally in charge (Yay Mrs. Barnett). She expected a lot from her girls and held them accountable for their actions whether they were in uniforms or not! They cheered the entire game and when they were not cheering, they had to be watching the game and aware of what was going on! No one questioned her decisions.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores