Petition on naming Indians Stadium

N

NDNPARENT

I am looking for people that are in suppport of naming Indian stadium after Mr. Durham, the voice of the Indians. i am thinking of doing a presentation for the school board to get this done and wanted to see what you all feel about this?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I'd vote for naming the Press Box after him. I'm a huge Tip Durham fan ... he was my 8th grade American History teacher at Woodlawn (Groves Jr. High), he was my bus driver during jr. high, and he was my study hall teacher during 8th grade. He is "The Voice" of PN-G football, the Purple Pride PN-G Indian Band, and he is a friend to any and all PN-G alums, students, and fans. And, back in the day, he could pick a pretty mean acoustic guitar ... he played a few songs for us during study hall when we refused to shut up or when we refused to use our time for studying. Super nice gentleman and a good singer.

The Stadium is known far and wide as The Reservation. I always thought Ethridge Field sounded nice as a subheading to The Reservation. And, many old timers still refer to the stadium as Indian Stadium, which is fine.

Stadium = The Reservation aka Indian Stadium
Field = Doug Ethridge Field
Field House = Burnett Field House; perhaps have different wings or dressing rooms named for Coach McCollum, Coach Ford, and Coach Watson
Track and Field Areas = Kenneth Watson Track or Watson-Cobb Track (Coach Watson and Coach Terry Cobb)
Press Box = Tip Durham Media Center and Press Box
On the Lady Indian Side = Name EVERYTHING we have after Coach Barbara Comeaux :)

Just my 0.02 cents ... good topic. It will be interesting to read the opinions/thoughts of other Indians.

Go Indians. Peace.

bandkid

Staff member
1989NDN said:
I'd vote for naming the Press Box after him. I'm a huge Tip Durham fan ... he was my 8th grade American History teacher at Woodlawn (Groves Jr. High), he was my bus driver during jr. high, and he was my study hall teacher during 8th grade. He is "The Voice" of PN-G football, the Purple Pride PN-G Indian Band, and he is a friend to any and all PN-G alums, students, and fans. And, back in the day, he could pick a pretty mean acoustic guitar ... he played a few songs for us during study hall when we refused to shut up or when we refused to use our time for studying. Super nice gentleman and a good singer.

The Stadium is known far and wide as The Reservation. I always thought Ethridge Field sounded nice as a subheading to The Reservation. And, many old timers still refer to the stadium as Indian Stadium, which is fine.

Field House = Burnett Field House; perhaps have different wings or dressing rooms named for Coach McCollum, Coach Ford, and Coach Watson
Track and Field Areas = Kenneth Watson Track or Watson-Cobb Track (Coach Watson and Coach Terry Cobb)
On the Lady Indian Side = Name EVERYTHING we have after Coach Barbara Comeaux :)

Just my 0.02 cents ... good topic. It will be interesting to read the opinions/thoughts of other Indians.

Go Indians. Peace.

Agreed, but we need to name the band hall after Albert Long and at least have something named after or built in commemoration of Indian Ken. Even if it's just a plaque, something needs to be done for Indian Ken. It's my personal hope that they'll but a plaque where Indian Ken used to sit in the stadium, something that says "Reserved for Indian Ken" in big letters and then maybe a commemorating paragraph or two under it and his picture engraved in the metal.

NONS81

1989NDN said:

Go Indians. Peace.

Wow! That's slot of naming going on and even though I agree that you have picked some good ones, there are still so many that have gone un-named. What about Coach Hooper, Coach Troy, Coach Massey etc...

I am in agreement on naming the pressbox after Tippy, though.

Sorry, NDNPARENT, The field has to remain the Reservation or Indian Stadium, but you have my vote on the press box and I kind of like "Tip Durham Media Center and Press box" , don't you?

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
A lot of names indeed, but if Ethridge, Comeaux, and Durham are probably a safe short list. While others may be deserving, it would be hard to argue against these names being top tier.

"Ethridge Field on the Reservation"
"Comeaux Gymnasium"
"Durham Press Box" - "Media Center" reminds me of my PC. :)

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I think we should wait and maybe we'll want to name it "Faircloth Field on the Reservation". Also, Joe Joveali (sp?) should be who the bandhall is named after. He wrote the original rendition of our fight song

Torino

500+ Posts
I believe the stadium should be named in memory of Harvey Brown. He served on the ISD Board of Trustees for almost 40 years and was arguably the most well-known member of the community.

bandkid

Staff member
Torino said:
I believe the stadium should be named in memory of Harvey Brown. He served on the ISD Board of Trustees for almost 40 years and was arguably the most well-known member of the community.

Isn't the school district talking about getting a new administration building? If so, then that's what should be named after Mr. Brown.

squaw said:
I think we should wait and maybe we'll want to name it "Faircloth Field on the Reservation". Also, Joe Joveali (sp?) should be who the bandhall is named after. He wrote the original rendition of our fight song

And Lynne James wrote the lyrics to our fight song. If that's the mentality, then we might as well name the band hall after her.

One thing we could do is name the GMS band hall after Mr. Giovale and the PNMS band hall after Mr. Charles since those locations are where they taught. Mr. Long taught at the high school, and, therefore, should get the high school band hall.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
i agree oldeagle... This post illustrates why we shouldn't start re-naming every building in the district. we have a lot of history and tradition at PNG. Just as sure as we started naming stuff a fight would ensue. No matter how you did it, someone deserving would be left out. Lets leave things the way we have them..seems to have worked so far.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IMO, The "Reservation" should remain the "Reservation". To name the pressbox after Tippy might be o.k., but, you just don't mess with the "Reservation".

NONS81

PNG Proud said:
IMO, The "Reservation" should remain the "Reservation". To name the pressbox after Tippy might be o.k., but, you just don't mess with the "Reservation".

I agree Proud, Tippy has been a part of Indian Football for a long time, from the time played and then his first game he announced, until now!! He deservues some recognition. The "Reservation is the Reservation"" period!!!!! I know we had great coaches - past and present - but if we start naming names, we might as well include them all, as far as I am concerned, they were all great!!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I agree. I don't think we should "name" anything--not the bandhalls, the field, or other assorted buildings and places. They all make up "Indian Reservation" which includes all these other entities. I do think a nice plaque in the press box recognizing the many years of service Tip Durham gave PNG would be nice.

This is an intriguing thread, and I feel I must contribute to it.

I believe Indian Stadium should remain Indian Stadium.

I can infer that the fans who want to name the stadium or the field after Coach Ethridge, look back on those years as golden years in Indian football. The four years the Indians went deep into the playoffs during the mid-70s bring back colorful and emotional memories that can reach near to ecstasy for some. This generation, wanting to preserve these accomplishments, look to do so by naming the stadium or field after that era’s most recognized figure.

However, Port Neches-Groves had a rich and fabled history long before those memorable days of the 1970s. Where is its voice? Perhaps the generations that lived prior to those days are fewer and far between now; perhaps they aren’t as tech-savvy or forum-savvy as later generations; perhaps their voices aren’t as loud or strong with their advanced age.

But these earlier generations had their heroes, and their accomplishments and successes all contributed their fair share to the honor and pride of Indian football.

For a few examples:

Coach Gene McCollum—Coach McCollum was already established as an innovative and successful football coach when he came to Port Neches in 1946. He led Port Neches to Regional titles in 1946 and 1947, when Regionals were as far as a team in that classification could advance. His 1947 team is the only undefeated team in Port Neches history. When Port Neches moved up into classification, taking on the likes of district opponents Port Arthur, Beaumont, and Conroe among others, Coach McCollum didn’t leave to pursue other coaching ambitions. He stayed. He prepared his players to battle these big schools, and we stayed successful. His teams were the first teams to play in the present Indian Stadium. He won a state championship in 1953, on the same field of which we now speak. His 1954 team the following year lost in the state finals. After leaving coaching, Coach McCollum was Port Neches- Groves’ superintendent for the next 20 years. Administratively, he contributed immensely to the Indian football program. He hired, among others, Coach Ford, Coach Phillips, and Coach Watson as head coaches. During his years as superintendent, the Indian football program was recognized as having the best facilities and administrative support as any program in the state. He dedicated his career to Port Neches-Groves. Coach McCollum is buried in Port Neches.

Coach Lewis Ford—Coach Ford and his wife came to Port Neches in 1948. As an assistant coach, he coached Port Neches’ first all state player, Don Miller. He was first assistant on Coach McCollum’s state championship ballclub of 1953, as well as the state final ballclub of 1954. As head coach in 1955, he led the Indians to their second state title. After getting out of coaching, Coach Ford worked in the district for the next 20 years, as an elementary principal at Groves Elementary, Van Buren, and Port Neches Elementary. His wife Irene started the Indianettes. His son Buck wrote Down Trails of Victory. His grandson and namesake Lew carried the PN-G purple banner to every baseball park in the American League as a major league outfielder for five years. Coach Ford left a lasting legacy of the purple blood. He and his wife are buried in Port Neches.

Coach Ken Watson—Coach Watson went through Port Neches schools. He played for Coach McCollum’s Regional Championship teams of 1946 and 1947. He was a captain of the 1947 undefeated squad. He returned to Port Neches as an assistant coach in 1958, and became head coach in 1965. After getting out of coaching in 1973, Coach Watson continued to work in the district in administration, ensuring that the pride and spirit of deep purple blood was maintained in the school system. It can be argued that when Coach Ethridge came to the Reservation in 1973, he came in to a football program that was already fertile and ripe for success. He inherited a coaching staff and a football program from grades 7 – 12 that were as good as any in the state. Coach Ethridge had genius and talent, and he also had the ingredients to make a winner. Upon retirement, Coach Watson stayed in Port Neches, and still attends Indian events. His is a lifetime of dedication. I’m sure he will live out his days in Port Neches. I hope he has many more.

The purpose of this post is not to start a debate on who is a better coach or who is more deserving of having a stadium or a field named after them. It is to give a perspective on this issue as to why Indian Stadium should remain Indian Stadium. To name the stadium or the field after one person limits the accomplishments and contributions of many more people who were a part of its successes and storied past.

The Chicago Bears play at Soldier Field. Soldier Field opened in 1924. It is not named Grant Field, or MacArthur Field, or Eisenhower Field. It has remained, and is still, Soldier Field.

So too, may Indian Stadium remain Indian Stadium. To let it remain so pays tribute to all those who call themselves Indians, and who in their own way have contributed to its persona and mystique. Every player, coach, band member, manager, water boy, Indianette, twirler, cheerleader, drum major, fan—the list goes on and on—Indian Stadium and the field itself is a part of them, and they are a part of it.

May that common purple blood we all share remain common—and true, and rich, and enduring.

Thank you, and Scalp ‘em!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Good points. Mr. McCollum is probably more deserving than any, but so are the others you mentioned.

And unless it were named Doug Ethridge/Greg Davis/Butch Troy/Bruce Bush/Terry Cobb Stadium, it wouldn't be accurate. There were many great coaches that made the 1974-1977 success possible.

NONS81

Down_Trails_of_Victory said:
This is an intriguing thread, and I feel I must contribute to it.

I believe Indian Stadium should remain Indian Stadium.

I can infer that the fans who want to name the stadium or the field after Coach Ethridge, look back on those years as golden years in Indian football. The four years the Indians went deep into the playoffs during the mid-70s bring back colorful and emotional memories that can reach near to ecstasy for some. This generation, wanting to preserve these accomplishments, look to do so by naming the stadium or field after that era’s most recognized figure.

However, Port Neches-Groves had a rich and fabled history long before those memorable days of the 1970s. Where is its voice? Perhaps the generations that lived prior to those days are fewer and far between now; perhaps they aren’t as tech-savvy or forum-savvy as later generations; perhaps their voices aren’t as loud or strong with their advanced age.

But these earlier generations had their heroes, and their accomplishments and successes all contributed their fair share to the honor and pride of Indian football.

For a few examples:

Coach Gene McCollum—Coach McCollum was already established as an innovative and successful football coach when he came to Port Neches in 1946. He led Port Neches to Regional titles in 1946 and 1947, when Regionals were as far as a team in that classification could advance. His 1947 team is the only undefeated team in Port Neches history. When Port Neches moved up into classification, taking on the likes of district opponents Port Arthur, Beaumont, and Conroe among others, Coach McCollum didn’t leave to pursue other coaching ambitions. He stayed. He prepared his players to battle these big schools, and we stayed successful. His teams were the first teams to play in the present Indian Stadium. He won a state championship in 1953, on the same field of which we now speak. His 1954 team the following year lost in the state finals. After leaving coaching, Coach McCollum was Port Neches- Groves’ superintendent for the next 20 years. Administratively, he contributed immensely to the Indian football program. He hired, among others, Coach Ford, Coach Phillips, and Coach Watson as head coaches. During his years as superintendent, the Indian football program was recognized as having the best facilities and administrative support as any program in the state. He dedicated his career to Port Neches-Groves. Coach McCollum is buried in Port Neches.

Coach Lewis Ford—Coach Ford and his wife came to Port Neches in 1948. As an assistant coach, he coached Port Neches’ first all state player, Don Miller. He was first assistant on Coach McCollum’s state championship ballclub of 1953, as well as the state final ballclub of 1954. As head coach in 1955, he led the Indians to their second state title. After getting out of coaching, Coach Ford worked in the district for the next 20 years, as an elementary principal at Groves Elementary, Van Buren, and Port Neches Elementary. His wife Irene started the Indianettes. His son Buck wrote Down Trails of Victory. His grandson and namesake Lew carried the PN-G purple banner to every baseball park in the American League as a major league outfielder for five years. Coach Ford left a lasting legacy of the purple blood. He and his wife are buried in Port Neches.

Coach Ken Watson—Coach Watson went through Port Neches schools. He played for Coach McCollum’s Regional Championship teams of 1946 and 1947. He was a captain of the 1947 undefeated squad. He returned to Port Neches as an assistant coach in 1958, and became head coach in 1965. After getting out of coaching in 1973, Coach Watson continued to work in the district in administration, ensuring that the pride and spirit of deep purple blood was maintained in the school system. It can be argued that when Coach Ethridge came to the Reservation in 1973, he came in to a football program that was already fertile and ripe for success. He inherited a coaching staff and a football program from grades 7 – 12 that were as good as any in the state. Coach Ethridge had genius and talent, and he also had the ingredients to make a winner. Upon retirement, Coach Watson stayed in Port Neches, and still attends Indian events. His is a lifetime of dedication. I’m sure he will live out his days in Port Neches. I hope he has many more.

The purpose of this post is not to start a debate on who is a better coach or who is more deserving of having a stadium or a field named after them. It is to give a perspective on this issue as to why Indian Stadium should remain Indian Stadium. To name the stadium or the field after one person limits the accomplishments and contributions of many more people who were a part of its successes and storied past.

The Chicago Bears play at Soldier Field. Soldier Field opened in 1924. It is not named Grant Field, or MacArthur Field, or Eisenhower Field. It has remained, and is still, Soldier Field.

So too, may Indian Stadium remain Indian Stadium. To let it remain so pays tribute to all those who call themselves Indians, and who in their own way have contributed to its persona and mystique. Every player, coach, band member, manager, water boy, Indianette, twirler, cheerleader, drum major, fan—the list goes on and on—Indian Stadium and the field itself is a part of them, and they are a part of it.

May that common purple blood we all share remain common—and true, and rich, and enduring.

Thank you, and Scalp ‘em!

What a wonderful post!!! My Mom was part of those years and part of starting the traditions that we hold so precious today and I know that she is proud of being an Indian Twirler(Majorette, as they were called back then) and one of the first to wear the Indian Headresses, in a halftime performance that Mr. Giovioli had correographed and when Cherokee was first played. My father in law was on that 1953 team (Tip was in this era as well and a great player)and I am pretty sure his brother was on that 1947 team - those were some "glory" years for all of them, as the 70's were for all of us, as Down the Trail has stated. I never knew Mr. Ford as a Coach, he was my principal at PNE, but I have heard all the stories ;) - Mrs. Ford was my Librarian at PNJH and about 6 years ago, at Homecoming, she was on the field for a halftime performance, she was he first Indianetter Sponsor, back in the day...after halftime, she was sitting behind me in the stands, and I said to her "I see you can still 'shake a leg'" and she said "You bet I can" - we laughed, good memories. I liked growing up in Port Neches, I liked having teachers that taught my mom, or coaches that taught my cousins and "picked" on me(in a good way) because they felt they could, which developed a friendship and teachers that, later in life, would stop by my house because we were outside working in the yard just to say "Hi". I love all of that and with all of that being said, we just don't have enough buildings :) to name everyone that made up our good memories and accomplishments and I agree with Down the Trail, we are all part of the Indian Tradition and it is a part of us and I like things the way they are - Indian Stadium, it is, for me.

Scalp'em

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I've heard all the stories about the 50's (Gorden LeBeouf, Bobby LaBorde, Earl Sheffield, etc.) and family was in school then. I remember all the glory days of the 70's. I remember a spurt of glory in 1999. I agree--Indian Stadium must remain Indian Stadium. Don't y'all think we need a large sign/marque of some sort over the entrance that reads "Welcome to Indian Stadium"? For the time being, I'm dreaming of the future glory days coming. I can't say when but I know they'll come again.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores