Petition on naming Indians Stadium

My opinion which doesnt really amount to 1/2 a penny, but.... I think the bandhall should remain the PURPLE PRIDE BAND (HALL) !! and THE RESERVATION is the RESERVATION and always will be!! We all grew up being proud of our HONOR PRIDE TRADITION and our RESERVATION, why should it change now? :music:

badndn

500+ Posts
Don't forget folks the term "Reservation" is in reference to all of PNG High School facilities not just the football stadium. When another Volleyball team, Baseball team, Basketball team, etc., etc. come to PN to play PNG they are coming to "The Reservation".

I support the press box being named after Mr. Durham 100%.

milkman

After reading all previous posts I feel blessed to have known most all that have been mentioned. All would be deserving but I have to agree w/ Squaw. It has to remain THE RESERVATION. It's more than coach , announcer , administrator... It's two communities dominating at academics and sports.

N

NDNPARENT

geeze sorry for the fuss! it's my bad i meant to type in indian stadium pressbox instead of fiedl! I agree with everyone on her about keeping the indians field the same. sorry!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
milkman said:
After reading all previous posts I feel blessed to have known most all that have been mentioned. All would be deserving but I have to agree w/ Squaw. It has to remain THE RESERVATION. It's more than coach , announcer , administrator... It's two communities dominating at academics and sports.
Just for clarification--I think the entire school mileu and all the people involved should be The Reservation, but the football field alone should remain Indian Stadium. Keep our traditions sacred and add others to keep the karma and PNG will always be respected, even envied. Go, Indians!

NDN34

Down_Trails_of_Victory said:
This is an intriguing thread, and I feel I must contribute to it.

I believe Indian Stadium should remain Indian Stadium.

I can infer that the fans who want to name the stadium or the field after Coach Ethridge, look back on those years as golden years in Indian football. The four years the Indians went deep into the playoffs during the mid-70s bring back colorful and emotional memories that can reach near to ecstasy for some. This generation, wanting to preserve these accomplishments, look to do so by naming the stadium or field after that era’s most recognized figure.

However, Port Neches-Groves had a rich and fabled history long before those memorable days of the 1970s. Where is its voice? Perhaps the generations that lived prior to those days are fewer and far between now; perhaps they aren’t as tech-savvy or forum-savvy as later generations; perhaps their voices aren’t as loud or strong with their advanced age.

But these earlier generations had their heroes, and their accomplishments and successes all contributed their fair share to the honor and pride of Indian football.

For a few examples:

Coach Gene McCollum—Coach McCollum was already established as an innovative and successful football coach when he came to Port Neches in 1946. He led Port Neches to Regional titles in 1946 and 1947, when Regionals were as far as a team in that classification could advance. His 1947 team is the only undefeated team in Port Neches history. When Port Neches moved up into classification, taking on the likes of district opponents Port Arthur, Beaumont, and Conroe among others, Coach McCollum didn’t leave to pursue other coaching ambitions. He stayed. He prepared his players to battle these big schools, and we stayed successful. His teams were the first teams to play in the present Indian Stadium. He won a state championship in 1953, on the same field of which we now speak. His 1954 team the following year lost in the state finals. After leaving coaching, Coach McCollum was Port Neches- Groves’ superintendent for the next 20 years. Administratively, he contributed immensely to the Indian football program. He hired, among others, Coach Ford, Coach Phillips, and Coach Watson as head coaches. During his years as superintendent, the Indian football program was recognized as having the best facilities and administrative support as any program in the state. He dedicated his career to Port Neches-Groves. Coach McCollum is buried in Port Neches.

Coach Lewis Ford—Coach Ford and his wife came to Port Neches in 1948. As an assistant coach, he coached Port Neches’ first all state player, Don Miller. He was first assistant on Coach McCollum’s state championship ballclub of 1953, as well as the state final ballclub of 1954. As head coach in 1955, he led the Indians to their second state title. After getting out of coaching, Coach Ford worked in the district for the next 20 years, as an elementary principal at Groves Elementary, Van Buren, and Port Neches Elementary. His wife Irene started the Indianettes. His son Buck wrote Down Trails of Victory. His grandson and namesake Lew carried the PN-G purple banner to every baseball park in the American League as a major league outfielder for five years. Coach Ford left a lasting legacy of the purple blood. He and his wife are buried in Port Neches.

Coach Ken Watson—Coach Watson went through Port Neches schools. He played for Coach McCollum’s Regional Championship teams of 1946 and 1947. He was a captain of the 1947 undefeated squad. He returned to Port Neches as an assistant coach in 1958, and became head coach in 1965. After getting out of coaching in 1973, Coach Watson continued to work in the district in administration, ensuring that the pride and spirit of deep purple blood was maintained in the school system. It can be argued that when Coach Ethridge came to the Reservation in 1973, he came in to a football program that was already fertile and ripe for success. He inherited a coaching staff and a football program from grades 7 – 12 that were as good as any in the state. Coach Ethridge had genius and talent, and he also had the ingredients to make a winner. Upon retirement, Coach Watson stayed in Port Neches, and still attends Indian events. His is a lifetime of dedication. I’m sure he will live out his days in Port Neches. I hope he has many more.

The purpose of this post is not to start a debate on who is a better coach or who is more deserving of having a stadium or a field named after them. It is to give a perspective on this issue as to why Indian Stadium should remain Indian Stadium. To name the stadium or the field after one person limits the accomplishments and contributions of many more people who were a part of its successes and storied past.

The Chicago Bears play at Soldier Field. Soldier Field opened in 1924. It is not named Grant Field, or MacArthur Field, or Eisenhower Field. It has remained, and is still, Soldier Field.

So too, may Indian Stadium remain Indian Stadium. To let it remain so pays tribute to all those who call themselves Indians, and who in their own way have contributed to its persona and mystique. Every player, coach, band member, manager, water boy, Indianette, twirler, cheerleader, drum major, fan—the list goes on and on—Indian Stadium and the field itself is a part of them, and they are a part of it.

May that common purple blood we all share remain common—and true, and rich, and enduring.

Thank you, and Scalp ‘em!

NDN34

I agree that Indian Stadium remain Indian Stadium........the entire complex should be known as the Reservation. I played on the '55, '56, and '57 teams, my sons played for Doug Etheridge in the '80s, and I've followed the Indians since before then and untill present. If we start naming things after people we will leave out others just as deserving, not to mention whole generations being left out. The only exception is the Tip Durham should be honored in some way.

That's my two cents, and I respect all the opinions of others on this thread. It's just hard to put labels on the Indian tradition.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
NDN34 said:
I agree that Indian Stadium remain Indian Stadium........the entire complex should be known as the Reservation. I played on the '55, '56, and '57 teams, my sons played for Doug Etheridge in the '80s, and I've followed the Indians since before then and untill present. If we start naming things after people we will leave out others just as deserving, not to mention whole generations being left out. The only exception is the Tip Durham should be honored in some way.

That's my two cents, and I respect all the opinions of others on this thread. It's just hard to put labels on the Indian tradition.
I totally agree--great post!

NONS81

NDNPARENT said:
geeze sorry for the fuss! it's my bad i meant to type in indian stadium pressbox instead of fiedl! I agree with everyone on her about keeping the indians field the same. sorry!

It's ok, honest mistake...(don't let it happen again) just kiddin.... ;D

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Xcrystalbeachbum said:
The only name to stand the test of time >>>>>>The Reservation.
OK, most agree that Indian Stadium remain Indian Stadium and the entirety of the high school is Indian Reservation. Also, most want to recognize the many years of dedication Tip has given to PNG. I do, too! Why not a nice bronze plaque on the wall of the pressbox? That would stand the test of time, also. What do you think? In fact, each following announcer could have a plaque put up also when they retire.

bandkid

Staff member
squaw said:
Xcrystalbeachbum said:
The only name to stand the test of time >>>>>>The Reservation.
OK, most agree that Indian Stadium remain Indian Stadium and the entirety of the high school is Indian Reservation. Also, most want to recognize the many years of dedication Tip has given to PNG. I do, too! Why not a nice bronze plaque on the wall of the pressbox? That would stand the test of time, also. What do you think? In fact, each following announcer could have a plaque put up also when they retire.

They did something similar with the high school prinicipals in the entrance hall at the high school.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores