Planning Underway for PN-G Band Alumni Reunion

bandkid

Staff member
This was posted on the "I Grew Up in Port Neches, Texas" page on Facebook:

"ATTN ALL PNG INDIAN BAND ALUMNI! I'm so excited to finally let the cat out of the bag! We have been given the green light to start planning the Purple Pride alumni reunion!! It will be held at the Homecoming football game on Nov 2 2012! Our first meeting is next Tues April 17, at 6:00pm at Rancho Grande in Port Arthur! We're gonna need lots of help to make this a big success so I'm inviting anyone who would like to help in any way to join us for the meeting! Please help us spread the word to anyone you know that is a Indian band alumni! If you know you're coming to the meeting please msg me asap so I can reserve a table! Hope to see you there!"

The name of the poster is CoythandMichael Whitney (I assume it's a joint profile for a married couple), so any communication will have to go through him or her.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Yay! So glad this made it's way on here! Yes, Coyth and Mike Whitney, along with myself decided after the Indianette reunion that a Indian band reunion was LONG overdue! Mike spoke with Mr Wells in Feb and he is all for it so our first planning meeting is next Tues!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I hope the band alumni are allowed to participate at halftime of homecoming 2012...that should make for one large Marching I and a loud version of Cherokee. Please post updates as they develop. Thanks.

Go Indians. Peace.

bandkid

Staff member
It's not a state year and homecoming is normally after the region marching competition. Mr. Wells might be open to it.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
1989NDN said:
I hope the band alumni are allowed to participate at halftime of homecoming 2012...that should make for one large Marching I and a loud version of Cherokee. Please post updates as they develop. Thanks.

Go Indians. Peace.

:clap: :clap: that would be awesome! :clap: :clap:

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Yes, the alumni have been invited to perform the Marching I with the band, and march in the Homecoming parade! We spoke briefly with Mr Wells about our plans and he is all for it! We have a couple of former band members that are current band directors and have offered to help get us old timers back in playing form over the Summer!! We realize that most probably do not have an instrument and we will be making every attempt to get one for all those that wish to perform! I also want to make it clear that EVERYONE is invited to participate in this reunion, even if you do not wish to perform! We are hoping to have a brief reception in the band hall before the game, and we will sit by the band during the game! I have been told that Homecoming 2012 is Nov 2!

The most important thing is that we will need lots of help to pull this off! We want this to be a success so we can have more reunions in the future and we def don't want the Indianettes to out do us...haha! If you have Facebook, please join the Port Neches Groves Indian Band Alumni page, we will be posting information there regularly as we move through the planning process! If you do not have FB, send me a private message with your email and phone # so we can keep you in the loop, don't want anyone left out! Also, please pass this along to anyone and everyone you know that is a Indian Band Alumni!!

Also, if you plan on being at the first meeting, it's this coming Tuesday, April 17 at Rancho Grande on Hwy 69 in Port Arthur at 6pm! You may message me on here, or at tmccelvey@gmail.com if you are coming, I need to know how many to expect to make sure we have seating for everyone!

Can't wait to make this happen!!

phetonb

From Facebook:

Band Alumni wanting to perform need to e-mail pngbandalumni@gmail.com and provide their name, instrument, if they still have one, class year, and phone number.

I did!!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I went to the meeting last night. There is a TON of interest in this project and it looks to be really fun with a great turn-out. There will be social events as well, so if you don't want to actually march and/or play, you can still join and attend the socials.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PNG Proud said:
I went to the meeting last night. There is a TON of interest in this project and it looks to be really fun with a great turn-out. There will be social events as well, so if you don't want to actually march and/or play, you can still join and attend the socials.

Good. I hope the homecoming Marching I is 500+ strong and blares Cherokee from Orange County to Harris County. The more, the better. Stretch that Marching I from the 20 yard line to the 20 yard line and turn the stadium into one loud pow-wow. Excellent idea by those who put things into motion. Once an Indian, always an Indian.

Go Indians. Peace.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Unfortunately, the Alumni will not be doing the Marching I as originally planned! :( After this years Football schedule was released, it was brough to our attention that Homecoming is also the last home game of the season and that night is set aside for the Middle School bands to perform with the HS band at halftime. Our options were to pick another game, or compromise on some things we had planned. After looking at other possible dates and discussing it with the powers that be at the HS, we all agreed that Homecoming was the best game to hold the reunion, and we decided instead of doing the Marching I, we would assemble on the track during the 3rd quarter and play Cherokee. It is unfortunate that the schedule fell the way it did, but everyone is very excited about all the events planned for the reunion! It's probably best that us "old timers" don't do the Marching I anyway...I don't think there will be enough medical staff on hand for that...lol!

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
pngmom4 said:
IBLEEDPURPLE said:
So.... having the Middle School bands perform at a different home game was not an option?

I was thinking the same thing

All options were discussed and the best plan for everyone involved was having the Alumni perform during the 3rd quarter. The last home game has been set aside as Middle School night for several years now and moving it to a different game just wasn't an option, any earlier the band is preparing for competition, then there's MCM and seating would be an issue for the Middle School bands and their parents that want to come and watch them, and they just wouldn't be musically ready to perform any earlier in the season. It's just unfortunate that Homecoming was placed on the last home game this year! That usually does not happen, and it wouldn't have been a issue for the Alumni Reunion had it been on a different game. Hopefully, if this one is a big success, we will be able to perform the Marching I at the next reunion!!

phetonb

Update on the band alumni. We have 62 signed up to play so far. Our first practice will be 6-30-12 at Tonalta Music School in Port Neches at 10 am. We are looking for a larger venue to hold our practices....some local churches have room, but this date was out due to showers and such.

If you are an alumni, and want to play Cherokee, e-mail us at pngbandalumni@gmail.com with your Name, instrument, class year, and phone number.

If you want to attend the reunion and do not want to play, e-mail the same info to the same address, just let us know that you will not be playing.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores