PN-G 38, Fort Bend Willowridge 20

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Here at the game...small PN-G crowd...no enthusiasm. It's just a bland game. Our kids seem a step off. A few bad snaps, throws are a step late, and it's just not a Friday night experience like they got rev'd up vs. Texas City. Maybe it is the Saturday afternoon start? They seem off schedule. #33 is reliable. Defense gave up the long QB run, otherwise they have played well, but even our defense seems a step off. Willowridge is terrible I can remember them from the early eighties when they were a powerhouse. Now, they are a like a 3A program. Great weather.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I’m not following the play calling - we need to be fine tuning the passing in this game
Thats what they are doing in this game. Working on the passing except when needed so far

15PNG

500+ Posts
Not a great performance but a win is a win
My 2 cents against a team like fbw…

Defense was ok. We had some busted coverage and that concerns me going forward. I thinks more talented teams (dayton/Nederland) can expose this.

Offense… disappointing. We had a couple of throws, but our offense is so predictable. Good teams will eat that up. Run, quick out, run, run feels a lot like the Burnett years to me this season. You knew what was coming. Stop the dropped balls. We’re at week 7.

I appreciate the win but I want more for us not just a squeak by.

The arm tackling is still rampant - especially on special teams.

100+ Posts
It was a weird game. Even for the refs, they even told the WR band to stop playing. Band interference, perhaps.

The WR QB was on target today.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This was probably as close to a trap game as there will be this year. After beating the perceived top dog (FBM) and an undefeated TC, followed by a game where:
1. Routine is changed with a Saturday day game
2. Long trip
3. A small crowd with no band in the second half
4. A struggling opponent who everyone expected to be an easy, high scoring win
5. Still breaking in a young QB

A lot of us probably expected the Indians to score 56+ in this game and hold them to 14 or less. Willowridge had different ideas.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Got some work done on the passing game and used Nguyen somewhat sparingly, both of which were good moves on Joseph’s part IMO. Defense was actually the most disappointing aspect of the game to me, but not at all characteristic of the team so hopefully a fluke. I do have some concerns about us being vulnerable to the pass, and our own passing game still needs some work. However, some of the big completion FBWR made were also somewhat fluke-ish (QB throws up a prayer and they somehow come up with it). In any case, if we can strengthen those two areas of our game I feel good about our prospects going forward. We were clearly a bit lacking in intensity and focus in this game, which should probably not be that surprising after the magnitude of the preceding two games. Hopefully that will not be the case against Dayton and Nederland, which seem to me like the only potential obstacles to an undefeated District Championship.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Agree. Despite the somewhat negative comments, the greater belief is that this team can run the table with their A game.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
We have a few players missing that i am sure didnt help. I saw what looked like a very vanilia plan and a "lets dont get anymore injuries" type of game.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Seems like several factors played into the rather lackluster performance but I recall the team looking a little “flat” in a couple games we should’ve dominated last year and the season turned out WAY better than anyone expected. Yes, it appears we haven’t had much success producing the solid passing game we had last year but I also think this coaching staff seems to play very conservative against much weaker opponents to avoid injuries and putting a lot on film with other big games and playoffs coming up, which is SMART! So, I think we’ll be fine….gonna find out next week. :cool:

bandkid

Staff member
Seems like several factors played into the rather lackluster performance but I recall the team looking a little “flat” in a couple games we should’ve dominated last year and the season turned out WAY better than anyone expected. Yes, it appears we haven’t had much success producing the solid passing game we had last year but I also think this coaching staff seems to play very conservative against much weaker opponents to avoid injuries and putting a lot on film with other big games and playoffs coming up, which is SMART! So, I think we’ll be fine….gonna find out next week. :cool:

I second everything said here, and will add that this coaching staff seems to have a knack for using subpar performances to motivate players to improve. This could be the exact kind of game we need to renew our focus going into the downhill stretch of district play.

In my opinion, this Indian squad is poised to finish the regular season either 9-1 or 8-2 and make another deep playoff run.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Yes we were one flawless 2:00 4th quarter drive from losing to Nederland and maybe missing the playoffs

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I can see where resting certain players that are banged up makes sense. But playing to avoid injuries is often a formula that results in injuries. I’m old school when it comes to thinking about practice and game play. The theory of holding back the playbook makes sense but a team will play as it practices. It’s tough to just flip a switch and start executing new plays, or existing plays to perfection if only practiced game week. But the coaching staff knows what will work and when. No question of that.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores